Questions about Canada

Rodbuster

Good morning,

Having a great time at the Williston Rally.

This summer my wife and I are planning a trip to Michigan and then crossing into Canada for 3 to 4 weeks. We have spoken to a few people from Ontario about what is allowed and not allowed (especially "not allowed") when crossing the border. The comments that we have received have been very helpful. I welcome any and all advice that I can get.

1) I've heard that we can't bring meat across the border but, what about prepared meals such as frozen lasagna or frozen meatloaf?
2) Is there a better time to cross the border.... weekday, weekend, early morning, mid-day, afternoon? We will be crossing at Sault Sainte Marie, Mighigan.
3) Is anybody aware of any helpful websites where I might get this information

Thank you

Dick

jnbhobe

I have never had my rig checked when crossing, we usually cross at Niagra Falls or Thousand Islands.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I did a quick Google search and came up with THIS.
As far as meat goes, I have never heard of this. Fresh potatoes and beets are forbidden however.
Peace
Dave

Willym

We spend each winter in the US, and have never been asked about food when returning home. We do get asked about liquor, beer, cigarettes and firearms though. The only US people that we know that have been refused entry have been two that failed to declare a firearm.
We spent a week in SSM a couple of years ago, and found that the crossing was always fairly busy. Peak business hours were worse. There's also a very nice KOA in SSM if you need to overnight there.

happykraut

Up until about two years ago, we went in and out of Canada for 10 years straight. A lot of it depends on the boarder agent you are dealing with at the time. Coming back from New Foundland we had our potatoes confiscated. I was told that if I had peeled them I would have been OK. I've had a small can of pepper spray taken from me. A large can going to Alaska was OK. I've had firewood taken from us. One time they made me drive through a very large xray machine. On another crossing they took all of our meat, including an unopened can of Spam. When I complained about the Spam, she let me have it back. Overall it is normally a very simple procedure. I believe the most important thing is to declare anything that you think might be questionable. If they find something that you did not declare, they can make life miserable for you.

RuralPastor

We entered Canada for a week in late summer 2011 to help with a vacation Bible school in a small country church. Crossing wasn't that bad. The questions (no search) centered on: why are you coming (no employment)? Where are you going? How long will you be here? Do you have firewood (no bugs)? Do you have weapons? And, do you have fresh vegetables? Coming back, the Border Patrol searched for fish (he was sure I went fishing), and fresh vegetables. We had a few blueberrys (and declared them), but he let us keep them.

noobee

We spend each winter in the US, and have never been asked about food when returning home. We do get asked about liquor, beer, cigarettes and firearms though. The only US people that we know that have been refused entry have been two that failed to declare a firearm.
We spent a week in SSM a couple of years ago, and found that the crossing was always fairly busy. Peak business hours were worse. There's also a very nice KOA in SSM if you need to overnight there.

I agree regarding the KOA in SSM... best KOA we've used.