Slide Out Creep

ofdjeff

I am hoping for a little help here. I have a 2008 Cyclone 3210. I have noticed that the living room slide will creep out while driving, and will also creep out once parked for storage. It only creeps out about 2-3" at the bottom, the top stays flush. After parking the 5th wheel in storage, I made sure to confirm that the battery was turned off, and that both valve control knobs to the hydraulics were closed. The other day, I did notice the LR slide had crept out again.
I have not noticed any obvious fluid leaks, but did find a little fluid behind one of the hoses at the solenoid where the shut off knob is.
Also, after picking up the trailer in storage, I have noticed that once I turn the power on and turn the knobs to the "on" position, I can hear the hydraulic system have a mini surge where the slide outs creep out a 1/2" or so.
I have been trying to find some help through the other posts here, some of which has helped me try and pinpoint the issue. At this point, I don't know if I have air in the lines pushing the slide out outward, a bad hydraulic ram, or debris in the system. Any help would be appreciated.
I have attached a couple of pictures to hopefully give a better idea of what I'm seeing. Thank you in advance for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_3296.jpg
    IMG_3296.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3198.jpg
    IMG_3198.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3197.jpg
    IMG_3197.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3165.jpg
    IMG_3165.jpg
    748.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3167.jpg
    IMG_3167.jpg
    500.6 KB · Views: 56

jnbhobe

Check with Cookie I think he had that problem and it was a cylinder if I'm not mistaken. After looking at your pictures again it looks like both slides are doing it, maybe there is something in the lines or a leak at the pump.

TedS

Could be piston seal leak. As the oil warms it may cause the piston rod to 'extrude', push out. Not a lot of force, but just enough to move to relieve the oil expansion.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I believe that what you have is a bad hydraulic cylinder in one of your slides.
Like Jon said, I did have that problem with my coach. You will not see a leak. The problem is internal bypass leakage.
There is a way to check this. Look HERE for information on checking the cylinder.
Then look HERE for information on replacing the cylinder.
Hope this helps.
Oh, I did use my coach for a couple of months before the cylinder was replaced. I used ratchet straps under the slide to keep them from creeping out.

Peace
Dave

ofdjeff

Thank you so much for the quick and helpful replies. I was leaning towards the bad hydraulic cylinder, but thought I would post here at the experts. Thank you again. At jnbhobe, the picture that shows both slides out is after I turned on the power and opened the knobs, that was the result of the "surge" I hear. Thanks again everyone, I'll keep you posted.

ParkIt

This saves me a post, was about to post the same issue but with just the main living/dining slide. Its been creeping out and I couldn't find the PDF files that I'd seen posted somewhere else couple of years back (thanks for those, cookie).
That slide has always had an issue and bringing it in - we have to put a broom handle on the edge of the carpet where it comes in and is supposed to go flush with the kitchen island, if we don't it bunches up and won't let the slide go in all the way. Gotta be quick and pull the handle out once its almost in, its a two person job to get it done...I'm thinking of trimming the carpet if it keeps doing this after adjusting it.