seal change

Bobby A

Maybe you guys could help me cut to the chase without reading all the posts for what I'm looking for. I've been procrastinating on changing the seals in my Sealand 210 toilet in fear of doing something wrong and making it worse. Is there a post somewhere on hear of someone giving a step by step process in removing and replaceing the seals, so I could print it out and have it right next to me as I tear into this thing. I'm just kinda scared to do it by myself, I've never done one before. Thanks very much.

Bobby A

GOTTOYS

If the water is leaking out of the bowl, before you change the seal try this first. Let the water out of the bowl and with your hand, press the in place all the way around the opening. Next pour a kettle of very hot water into the bowl and let it sit for a half hour or so. Then flush it again, fill the bowl and let it sit. Most likely this will take care of it. This procedure was right out of the Dometic owners manual. It has always worked for me, without having to replace the seal. I don't believe you need to remove the toilet to replace the seal. Look online for their owners manual in the event the first procedure doesn't work..Don

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bobby, it's a simple fix. Try GOTTOYS option first. Even use some Vaseline to coat the seal. Wear some latex type gloves of course. I smear a bunch on a toothbrush and brush it in and around and under the lip of the seal.
If you still feel the need or want to change the seals, it's about a 20-30 minute job.

Turn off the water. Not really necessary but will prevent an accidental flush while working on the toy toy.
Pop the front cover off and the side cover for the pedal. Behind the toilet up at the top, you have to remove the cover for the aerator thingy. Twist the aerator back and forth and pull it out of the rubber grommet.
There are 2 screws holding the flush valve on. Remove them and pull the plumbing out of the way.
Around the base of the ceramic portion of the toilet is a stainless steel ring/clamp. Remove it.
Lift the ceramic bowl and the seals are right there. The base of the toilet stays put.
Reverse this procedure for assembly. There are alignment spots for the seal and the clamp ring. Make sure these are lined up.
I also put a light coating of Vaseline on the grommet in the rear for the aerator. Don't push it in too far. Maybe an inch.

Have Fun!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
One note of caution. When reassembling, resist the urge to put the screw for the ring clamp in front, where it's more accessible. Tried that and found it leaked no matter what. Moved it back to the rear and leak stopped.

Bobby A

Thanks very much guys,
I will get to it tomorrow, I hope the hot water trick works, if not I will do as you say.
Thanks again,

Bobby A

jimtoo

Bobby, it's a simple fix. Try GOTTOYS option first. Even use some Vaseline to coat the seal. Wear some latex type gloves of course. I smear a bunch on a toothbrush and brush it in and around and under the lip of the seal.
If you still feel the need or want to change the seals, it's about a 20-30 minute job.

Have Fun!

Bobby,, Ray forgot to tell you to use your wife's toothbrush...she will never know it if you run hot water over it to get rid of the Vaseline. :) If she does find out,,,, well,,, good luck. :)

Jim M

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I cleaned up my seal today. And I did think about this. But as I know she would find out, I strayed away from using hers.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
No chicken here. I just don't like sleeping out on the patio in the folding chair....

rick_debbie_gallant

Here is how I fixed our slow leak through the toilet valve that had been leaking for a year now. It works for me.

The "WORKS" toilet bowl cleaner and lime remover
Let the valve snap back sharply. Squirt a couple ounce or so.
As the water/cleaner leak through the lime should dissolve. Took bout 4 days. About half a bottle. A full bottle is less than two bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Bobby A

Thanks guys, I appreciate all your input, I decided to wait till I flush the black tank this weekend to do it. And you guys are way to funny saying to use the wifes tooth brush !! LOL