RV Storage Bin Tips

DW_Gray

Full-timers especially carry more in their RV than most. Those plastic storage bins are fantastic. Well, that is if you know which bin has the blue scarf or cowboy boots you haven’t used since last year and you need it now.

First size up the area you will be placing the storage bins. Based on the area size, purchase bins that fill the required area. I’ve found that it’s better to buy small bins and big bins depending on what is being placed in them. Big bins are best used for lighter weight items and place the heavier items in the small bins. Trust me; it’s much easier to handle a small heavy bin. Consider various heights. Depending on the storage space, you may be able to stack 2 to 4 bins high. Also, the somewhat clear bins are a good idea too. Or you could pick different color bins for his, hers, tools, etc. My bins are green.

Organize!

Part 1: Number every bin on all four sides. Get some file cards or start an Excel spreadsheet file. You could even start a file on your Smartphone. For each numbered bin, write the bin number on the upper corner of the card. Now, write down the description of each item you place in the corresponding numbered bin on the card. You may want to organize by grouping items by season or type of event. (Highly recommended)

Part 2: Organize the storage area by drawing a map of the location of each bin. If you know where to locate the bin, it sure reduces the amount of work. Although it may be difficult for your situation, try to locate the bin based on your expected need for the item(s) in the future.

Well I hope that helps a bit.

Travel light, tow safely.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
As a FT'rs also, we do have A LOT of stuff. I have also been using plastic totes. I have 20 Rubbermaid totes in 2 different sizes. But instead of just numbering them, we have used a label maker and put a category name on each. IE Black Water, Fresh Water, My Clothes, Her Clothes and a Christmas Tote. We even have a tote that we put gifts as we buy them throughout the year. One for electrical items, Tools, Office supplies and one for toiletries. It works real well for us.

jnbhobe

I do like Mike and Kelly and try to put things back in the right container. I do try LOL !!

PUG

Pug
For my basement storage I use stackable milk crates. You can see into them from the sides and are big enough to hold about anything. I have one for RV cleaning supplies, wax, etc, another for RV oils, greases, lubes, etc. , another for electric tools, and another for something? Getting old and can't remember! Most grocery stores, convenience stores have them laying around.

ParkIt

I do like Mike and Kelly and try to put things back in the right container. I do try LOL !!
That's what DH says but I always end up having to dig through a couple to find where he put something ;)

The least used (seasonal) I keep in the center, items for hook ups and maintenance are on the UDC side and most often used is on the entry side, not that it always stays that way!

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
That's what DH says but I always end up having to dig through a couple to find where he put something ;)

The least used (seasonal) I keep in the center, items for hook ups and maintenance are on the UDC side and most often used is on the entry side, not that it always stays that way!

Same here as far as location of items. But to solve the my wife not knowing where I put it issue, if she needs something, I just get it for her. Works for us. The "basement storage area" is all mine.

ParkIt

Same here as far as location of items. But to solve the my wife not knowing where I put it issue, if she needs something, I just get it for her. Works for us. The "basement storage area" is all mine.
Dangnabbit! I hope DH doesn't see this post or he'll claim the basement as his doghouse. It's where he spends most of his time according to him :rolleyes:

lisntodd

Good idea! I'm going to claim the basement as mine!

But seriously, all are great ideas to help stay organized.

Todd

DW_Gray

The one thing about the '09 Cyclone 4012 that I don't think any of the newer models have is lots of storage space. There is a storage area over the kitchen and that belongs to Amy. I removed the mattress from the loft bed and that is my storage area. The basement is storage for all our outside stuff. The top electric bed in the garage is my storage area and the bottom bed is for light weight general supplies, etc. We attached 5.5 inch tall under the bed type totes to the beds to hold stuff from shifting around. Amy gets 3/4 of the closet too. The garage is my doghouse and workroom where I spend most of my time when we are not sight seeing.