Word Of Warning to All With Larger Dogs

JanAndBill

I was standing outside our BH next to the front bedroom window talkiing to another camper with two dogs. Suddenly I saw the whole window frame push out what looked like a couple of inches on one side. This is a low window which is designated as an emergency exit. Apparently our Brittney had managed to unlatch one of the levers that release the window. Luckily she only unlatched one side before we were able to stop her. Made me think though if we hadn't been there to see it, she could very well have pushed the whole window out. We have lever style door knobs in our house that she is quite proficent at opening, but we never dreamed she could do it in the BH. We now have a gate in front of that window!

Sumo

We crate our dogs when we leave. This has stopped all of the surprises which have befallen our friends, tore apart pillows, couches, dinettes, shoes, and now windows.

JanAndBill

We keep ours in kennels when we are going to be gone for more than a few mins. The other thing about where the handles are might also be a problem for a toddler.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Sumo - 5 poodles - that must be fun. Our one poodle is enough for us.

robnmo

For what it's worth, a couple years before retiring, I took a report on a fella in the local State campground where he left a large dog inside while he went fishing for the day. His dog had been with him for years without any problems, that day it decided to lunge against a window, broke out a corner of the glass, and kept trying to get out the hole. Wasn't very pretty inside or outside his RV, the dog lived but lots of stitches, and several hours on a table in the vet's office.

ParkIt

We crate our dogs when we leave. This has stopped all of the surprises which have befallen our friends, tore apart pillows, couches, dinettes, shoes, and now windows.
We have two crates for our dogs because its just gross when Rocko decides to lick DH's pillow...the *entire* pillow. Ubu is an old man and he will wait to pee if he's in the crate but won't if he's out, Braxton (9lbs of neurotic) would chew the screen material off the windows. Its bad enough with DH alone! lol

For what it's worth, a couple years before retiring, I took a report on a fella in the local State campground where he left a large dog inside while he went fishing for the day. His dog had been with him for years without any problems, that day it decided to lunge against a window, broke out a corner of the glass, and kept trying to get out the hole. Wasn't very pretty inside or outside his RV, the dog lived but lots of stitches, and several hours on a table in the vet's office.
Ouch. That must have been really ugly and traumatic for both of them. Good to hear the dog only needed stitches.

JanAndBill

Our Boxer for the most part is pretty well behaved, however she does have her moments occasionally. Our Brittany though is a handful, especially if I go without her. Unfortunately for us she can walk and stand on her hind legs which increases her reach. Left alone she will strip all the covers off the bed, and string any clothes she can find everywhere, but her favorite trick is to methodically shred any tissue she can find into tiny little pieces. Kennels prevent a lot of stress and cleanup!!

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
My two doxies have been kennel trained since being puppies. My older male is fine out but my younger female just looks for things to shred if she is out without us for more than an hour or two. So they usually share a larger kennel during day if we are gone and then sleep in seperate kennels at night. Saves a lot of issues this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk