Edge roof cracked under my knees

Masran

Hello Everyone, i'm new to this forum. We are owners of a 2011 Edge M22 since 2010. This winter i went on the roof to remove some snow on top of the Edge. I was going slowly on my knees to remove the snow when i heard a "crack". I step back a few inches and heard another crack. The place where the crack happened is now "spongy/soft" instead of being solid like anywhere else on the roof. I think that the structure is aluminum, right ? I think that maybe the luan layer is broken. anyone had this kind of problem ? Thanks for your help!!! Steph

jimtoo

Re: Edge roof cracked under me knees

Hi Steph,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum.

Hopefully we will get some replies from our other members soon.

Jim M

evolvingpowercat

There are curved 2" aluminum hollow box roof joists that run from one side wall to the other every couple of feet on my Edge M21 the joist positions are obvious the roof is high at the joists and you can see the membrane curve down slightly between them. I don't think there are any cross stringers except perhaps at the side wall edges. The roof is a sandwidich of membrane, very thin 3/32" three ply plywood, 2" styrofoam, and very thin luan 3/32" three ply plywood and the interior ceiling treatment which has a thin padding layer beneath the finished surface. The foam between the joists is not just for insulation its part of the structural system as it is fully bonded to the plywood layers like the joists are. I don't think you will have a problem so long as the membrane is still not compromised. Personally I weigh about 185 and have been up on the roof quite a few times and have never had it fail but I am VERY careful not to put all my weight at one small spot like putting all my weight on a knee cap would be bad bad bad thing I think. With this type of roof system it is CRITICAL that you maintain the seals around the AC, vents, antenna, front and back cap the plywood is so thin there is no saftey margin for water damage. It is built to the minimum weight possible assuming the seals are maintained on at least an annual basis. It is also CRITICAL that you don't compromise any of the joists if you add anything that requires drilling a hole thru the roof MAKE SURE you don't damage them.

The Edge roof is strong enough - it will take a LOT of weight but only if well distributed.

Regards.

Last edited:

evolvingpowercat

I just drilled a 2" round hole in the Edge Roof and its actually 2" thick and has 2" joists rather than 1" joists as I stated. I corrected the above post.

ParkIt

Its been awhile since this was posted but I had the same thing happen recently. Now I can't find the post (as usual) but another member said when they were at the Goshen Rally, they had tech's get up on the roof to check it out.
The side wrap is screwed on and the membrane is glued on after that, they pulled the membrane off to the entry door, put new screws in the sidewall caps (where you heard the crunch) put new glue down and resealed the membrane. If its sort of bowed up on both sides you may have to have the same thing done to yours though you might want to check with some shops on how much they would charge to do it.
Good luck and hopefully you have it sorted out by now.