Baking food in the oven

teamMCL

Ok so 2 years into our new 5er! I still can't use the oven for making biscuts or baking at all! Any help would be happily accepted! Once I smell the biscuits or whatever I am baking the bottom is burnt! Help!!

Milton_and_PeggySue

The oven temp may be too high, possibly not accurate to what you set it at. Try using an oven thermometer to check for accuracy before putting something in to bake next time.

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
You may want to invest in an oven thermometer. I bought one so I could check the temperature throughout the first few "endeavors" to make sure the temp was really what the oven knob was set to. Made several items that were in the 300 degree range and the 400 degree range (dessert, veggies, bread...nothing that could be "harmful" if undercooked). Our oven happens to be pretty precise in temp and seems to be accurate as well.
Good luck!

Rickhansen

The problem is that the ovens were made smaller some years back. I think they also thinned out the metal in the bottom of the oven, which allows it to get too hot, too fast. You can't get the rack far enough from the bottom to keep everything from burning.

I have a double-wall aluminum cookie sheet laying in the bottom of our oven. It takes longer to preheat, but does help to diffuse some of the radiated heat from bottom of the ovven. I read that someone else had bought an unglazed, tempered ceramic tile that fit the oven bottom. That would likely work better than my cookie sheet, but would take even longer to preheat.

jjriker

I put a large pizza stone on the bottom of the oven, and now it works so much better. The heat seems to be dispersed much more evenly. I also preheat the oven for 10 - 15 minutes.

VKTalley

Question....where are you putting the pizza stone? On the "shelf" below the rack or on the rack?

jjriker

I put mine on the bottom of the oven that's just above the flame.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Phatkd

Have you guys had any issues with the pizza stone breaking when traveling? Or do you take it out when you are on the road? I have a brand new pizza stone that has been sitting around for about 6 years...I'm glad I saved it after reading this.

Manzan

This is the third trailer over the last 25 years or so that we have hauled the same pizza stone around. Never had a problem. Only thing I might suggest is that you use a round stone for better circulation. Not many square ones around anyway.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I always burned my biscuits too. I stared watching them and flipping them till I got my half time oven it is great I have not burnt anything in 2009 I think.. It can be done you just have to watch it closer .. I was not very good at burnt a lot of biscuits..LOL!!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Another vote here for the pizza stone but... I used 4-6" ceramic tiles. They fit the square depression in the bottom shelf like a glove.

Last edited:

TXTiger

I am single, don't know how to cook, use my oven for storage and have never burnt a thing lol lol lol.

Mauna

OK. I had never heard of placing a pizza stone in the oven before. It makes sense to cook with an even heated surface under the rack, but do you have to adjust cooking times?

JRBEN

Our oven runs 50 degrees cooler than what the knob is set on. I think the pizza stone is a great idea for getting more consistent heating. However, we do most of our cooking in a Ninja Cooker as I'd rather use the park's electricity that I'm paying for than my propane. :D Either that or the cast iron cookware and charcoal.