Surge Protector?

HornedToad

If you have an Automatic Transfer Switch...
Do you still need to use a separate Surge Protector?

I have the generator prep package which should include the transfer switch. I could probably answer my question if I could find it.

The reason I ask is that I noticed most Automatic Transfer Switches seem to include surge protection.
[h=1][/h]

Rickhansen

I have not seen an ATF with surge protection. If it does, I doubt a redundant surge protector would be of any additional benefit, given similar specifications. Can you post a manufacture or model number of a transfer switch with surge protection? I'd like to read up on it.

HornedToad

Several post on this site recommend a surge protector when in a campground. I was shopping for a surge protector on the Camping World site (and found they could be quite expensive, $100 to $600) when I ran across the following model of Automatic Transfer Switch that says it includes a surge protector...

http://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...ransfer-switch-with-rv-power-protection/26624

So now I am wondering...
if I have an Automatic Transfer Switch, do I really need to add a surge protector?

Last edited:

danemayer

Mike,

First, you should understand that there are surge protectors and there are electrical management systems. Surges are just one of a number of serious electrical problems that you can encounter. High and low voltage conditions are relatively common and it's not that rare to run into a problem with a missing leg or miswired pedestal. An electrical management system (EMS) will protect against these problems as well as surges. Here's a link to one of the EMS documents in the manuals section of the forum. You can check out all the features. When you read recommendations on this forum, the recommendation is usually not for just a surge protector. It's for the full protection offered by an EMS.

Second, on the Landmark, if you order generator prep, you can also order the Full-Timers Option Package which includes a surge protector. It's possible that Heartland might use an integrated transfer switch/surge protector in that configuration, but I don't know if it's the same one in your link. I think that's the only option in the Heartland lineup that includes a surge protector.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that your transfer switch doesn't have a surge protector. And if it did, most of us would still recommend you get an EMS. If you want to make sure, you can probably find the transfer switch behind the basement wall and look at the model number. Another way to get the transfer switch model number would be to call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032. Have your VIN # ready. I wouldn't bother asking if you've got a surge protector - just get the model number of the transfer switch and look it up yourself.

HornedToad

Danemayer,

I appreciate the info and link...

I did find my Automatic Transfer Switch,
it does not have surge protection,
and after reading your post I opted to get
an EMS instead of just a surge protector.

Thanks!!!