Rear Ladder

DougS

Doug S
After going on the RV roof last weekend, I did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling using the rungs of the ladder with cracked end caps. All seven plastic end caps facing the sun were broken beyond repair. The left side end caps are fine. I decided that plastic was not good, so I decided to use metal. After experimenting with different methods, I came up with 1/8 inch thick by 3/4 inch wide aluminum bar and a 1/2 inch slice of 1 inch PVC as a filler. After replacing just the broken end caps, the ladder feels stronger. I know Atwood will send new end caps, but the first ones only lasted about 18 months in the Florida sunshine before they began to crack.

The picture of the nasty first end cap was just a prototype. The finished end caps look good. I will fill the extra space of the end caps with black sealant. I cut the pieces out by screwing them on wood to hold them down. Once the final prototype end cap was made, it was used as a master copy for others. Last picture is the finished end cap.

Sorry for the sideways pictures, they show straight on my computer.

Attachments

• RV Rear Ladder 3.jpg
    RV Rear Ladder 3.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 179
  • RV Rear Ladder 2.jpg
    RV Rear Ladder 2.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 186
  • RV Rear Ladder 1.jpg
    RV Rear Ladder 1.jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 183
  • RV Rear Ladder 5.jpg
    RV Rear Ladder 5.jpg
    540.8 KB · Views: 191

MTPockets

I've heard sooo much about these end caps and flimsey ladders I think it's a shame that Atwood doesn't come up with a fix! ... These ladders are crap! .... Maybe a ********* to force a solution... It should be against to law to sell these things knowing dern well they are going to fall apart.... "Is' it Atwood or "is" it Heartland. Why do we buyers allow this stuff to continue? **************** How about a petition? ... Will they (who is they?) listen?

Last edited by a moderator:

MTPockets

I've heard sooo much about these end caps and flimsey ladders I think it's a shame that Atwood doesn't come up with a fix! ... These ladders are crap! .... Maybe a ********* to force a solution... It should be against to law to sell these things knowing dern well they are going to fall apart.... "Is' it Atwood or "is" it Heartland. Why do we buyers allow this stuff to continue? **************** How about a petition? ... Will they (who is they?) listen?
O.K.... I missed the "no legal speak on the forum" - but it would be nice to get either Heartland or Atwood to admit the ladders have issues and what they are going to do to make them right... This is a safety issue that needs correction before someone is injured...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Nice repair job, Doug. You might just have hit on an engineering solution to part of the problem.

On another note, with some folks clammoring for legal action, just what are the statistics for injuries due to the RV ladder failing? It's not likely anybody will do anything until bad things actually happen and the numbers (and injury settlements) show a problem.

MTPockets

Nice repair job, Doug. You might just have hit on an engineering solution to part of the problem.

On another note, with some folks clammoring for legal action, just what are the statistics for injuries due to the RV ladder failing? It's not likely anybody will do anything until bad things actually happen and the numbers (and injury settlements) show a problem.
OK legal is probably too strong if nothing has actually happened, but since there is a lot of discomfort in using the ladder by a lot of owners, and some use a different ladder, and are re-enforcing the factory supplied ladder, I would hope one of the suppliers would take note and supply a better/stronger ladder/solution for existing ladders as well as new.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I think it's an industry-wide issue. Have yet to see sturdy ladders on any 5vers I was looking at. In fact, many looked worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DougS

Doug S
Seems to me a better choice then plastic would be aluminum caps that could be inserted into the rung. Why Atwood would not spend a few dollars more for machined aluminium parts is beyond me. But as others have said, plastic end caps appear to be the industry standard.
I am not sure the rung would fail, it passes through the vertical rail, and screwed into the rung, but the cracking and crunching and failing off of pieces under you feet does not give a comforting feeling. I believe the repair I made will last, so I also cut and painted additional pieces for when the other side plastic ends begins to fail.

DougS

Doug S
Just got off the phone with Atwood for the rear ladder they want to charge for defective end caps, I think not. I guess my aluminum bar fix is now permanent. Why buy more defective parts? If only one or two ends needed to be replaced I probably would get replacements, but all 7 facing the sun are bad, wow, that sounds like a defect. I know I am not a feather weight, but I am well under the 300 pound max. You would think a company would want to correct a problem before someone gets hurt. Just my thoughts.

MTPockets

Just got off the phone with Atwood for the rear ladder they want to charge for defective end caps, I think not. I guess my aluminum bar fix is now permanent. Why buy more defective parts? If only one or two ends needed to be replaced I probably would get replacements, but all 7 facing the sun are bad, wow, that sounds like a defect. I know I am not a feather weight, but I am well under the 300 pound max. You would think a company would want to correct a problem before someone gets hurt. Just my thoughts.
Atwood sent me a complete set of the plastic ends no charge. I was three months past warranty at the time. By the way, We looked at a brand new Landmark a week ago and the first thing I looked at was the rear ladder... Just like mine was when new... The ladder sagged more than two inches when I put 'some' of my weight on it... All of the places where the screws were into the rear of the 5vr were pulling out when I applied weight to the ladder. What a sad picture... Someone - Atwood, or Heartland is allowing these things to continue being built and I can't believe they ignore it completely! .... If I was in charge heads would roll to discover this is being put on my top of the line 5vr.... Or any other model for that matter...... If enough of us keep pointing out the problem, they may get it fixed......

donr827

As long as they sell they will ignore the problems like this. Heartland should tell them to correct the problem or they will find a new source.
Don

nscaler2

Atwood sent me a complete set of the plastic ends no charge. I was three months past warranty at the time. By the way, We looked at a brand new Landmark a week ago and the first thing I looked at was the rear ladder... Just like mine was when new... The ladder sagged more than two inches when I put 'some' of my weight on it... All of the places where the screws were into the rear of the 5vr were pulling out when I applied weight to Doubtfulthe
ladder. What a sad picture... Someone - Atwood, or Heartland is allowing these things to continue being built and I can't believe they ignore it completely! .... If I was in charge heads would roll to discover this is being put on my top of the line 5vr.... Or any other model for that matter...... If enough of us keep pointing out the problem, they may get it fixed......
Doubtful. Until it hits these manufacturers in the pocketbook bigtime it will continue

TravelTiger

I have seen similar ladders on similar SOBs. I think if any manufacturer used the "BEST" products to construct their RV, most of us could not afford it. They choose to shave costs here and there and in hidden locations, so that the eye-candy can be luxurious, and the cost can be affordable.

People get upset when they decide the price is "high", and the product they paid for does not live up to their "high" expectations. But it's all relative. An RV that is expensive to me or you will most likely not be the "BEST". I've seen Prevost Motorcoaches at the show for 500K and up, so... where does that put mine?

MTPockets

I have seen similar ladders on similar SOBs. I think if any manufacturer used the "BEST" products to construct their RV, most of us could not afford it. They choose to shave costs here and there and in hidden locations, so that the eye-candy can be luxurious, and the cost can be affordable.

People get upset when they decide the price is "high", and the product they paid for does not live up to their "high" expectations. But it's all relative. An RV that is expensive to me or you will most likely not be the "BEST". I've seen Prevost Motorcoaches at the show for 500K and up, so... where does that put mine?

Heartland, I understand 'listens'... There are posts on this forum complaining about the ladder from 2010. Atwood labels the ladder for 300 lbs..., that may be so, but if the ladder is not secured well to a solid foundation it will sag. This worries users. The sag and the broken end caps are the basis of the complaints. I would think an inexpensive fix - I fixed mine for about $30.00 ... The manufacturer could do it for far less I'm sure. Just can't get past the fact that this has been a problem for years and they keep doing the same shoddy way despite customer complaints....

TravelTiger

I hear ya Terry!

Another thought... Package your "ladder strengthening kit" and sell thousands! Get RICH! LOL!

MTPockets

I hear ya Terry!

Another thought... Package your "ladder strengthening kit" and sell thousands! Get RICH! LOL!

I've posted before... All I did was add two sets of the ladder stanchions (Stand offs) which cost me around $30 - $35 .... But, the consumer should not have to make these things right..