Old HP Died R.I.P.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Well, not quite dead but a problem with the display. A shaded portion all the way across and up about 2 inches from the bottom of the screen. Hard to see through it. New HP with Windows 8. Not liking it so far. Downloaded Firefox and it's not working like it did with Vista. The screen freezes right after opening. Any ideas? I'm currently using IE but just moments ago, noticed that when trying to start a new paragraph on the forum, hitting enter doesn't move the curser down. :confused:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
It took me a few days to adjust to Windows 8, but I'm OK with it now. Firefox is running fine on my PC. I primarily work from the "normal/old desktop" view, not the Windows 8 new view.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ray, like Gus I use the desktop mode. I had the same issue with posting that you have.
I've been using Win8 since out came out and I still don't like it.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Ray... I also noticed a while back the return key issue and not being able to upload photos. I'm running windows 7 and IE. Any ideas out there? I am only having these issues on the Heartland forum.

Ray LeTourneau

I'll test a photo to see what happens. It seems the server was busy? An upload from my picture files didn't seem to work but I was able to drag an existing photo in but when I clicked done, it went away and I got a message that the forum was too busy. I'll try again later.

Attachments

• 100_0515.JPG
    100_0515.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 37

TXTiger

My HP Laptop was only 7 years old and the battery would no longer hold a charge. The computer was running very slow too. I heard a lot of negative comments about Windows 8 so I switched over to a Mac Book Pro. Got an iPad and upgraded from a Droid to a iPhone5 too. Best move I ever made. I like the Apple/Mac system so much better than PC.

Ray LeTourneau

OK, I'm slowly becoming familiar with Windows 8. That said, are there any of you with Windows 8 running Firefox as your browser? Is Chrome a viable alternative? As I mentioned in the OP, I tried Firefox but it kept freezing right after opening. I uninstalled it and haven't done anything since. Currently using IE The reason I'm asking is related to our Forum. It's dreadfully slow to respond. When I click on a thread to read or click on anything for that matter, the page opens almost immediately but it takes from 10 to 30 seconds before I can actually scroll or do anything on that page. Responding to a post or thread, once I click submit or post, the page changes but can't do anything till that little timer wheel quits spinning.All other websites seem to be responding normally. Help!

skyguy

One of the tests under previous operating systems is to open Internet Explorer with "No Add Ons" enabled. Often, IE will run just fine in this mode. If that is the case, then the next step would be to diagnose which Add-On is causing the problem.

It is more difficult to open IE in this mode, since we have no start button, and no program list. Here are some instructions copied from another site...

A much needed option for troubleshooting issues with Internet Explorer that used to be readily available in Windows 7 and earlier versions of Windows, now made unavailable in Windows 8. Unless, ofcourse, you know some coding. Here’s the trick to run Internet Explorer 10 in “no add ons” mode in Windows 8.
  1. Open a command prompt
  2. Type in “C:\ProgramFiles\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe” -extoff
    (Assuming “C” is your local hard drive letter where Program Files are stored.
  3. Voila! You’re in!
If you’re not sure how to get to a command prompt, it’s via your start screen under All Apps, or just right click down by your start button area, instead of left click, then select “Command Prompt”.

You might try this, and see how IE responds. (On review, I would NOT include the quote marks in the command, and make sure there is a space before the -extoff )

Ray LeTourneau

So I've got Firefox installed and working. I must have done something wrong the 1st time. The RV park must have reset their wifi so at this point, everything seems to be doing pretty darn good. This leads me to believe my Verizon MiFi isn't doing so well. Now all that's left is to import my bookmarks/favorites. Thanks ya'll!