Power to Generator but will not start

our generator has plenty of volts to start but will not. It acts as if it is starting but nothing happens. Push the primer switch, it lights up, no sound of pump running. press the start switch, same it lights up but no starting, no sound of starter motor running. Then after a few seconds the start light starts flashing rapidly. It doesn't flash any codes per the manual, just rapid flashing. I had to replace the battery, and controler. I think the guy at Camping World screwed all this up when he started the gen with the camper plugged in. Baught camper As Is, so I guess this is all my problem now. got everything fixed but this genny problem. just can't figure it out yet. got any ideals?

danemayer

Hi waynehulgan,

You left out some important details - like what kind of trailer, what generator, is it gas, diesel or LP?

Since you mentioned "no sound of pump running" I'm guessing you have a toy hauler with gasoline genny.

I doubt the guy at Camping World caused the problem by starting the gen with camper plugged in. With a built-in generator, the generator prep includes a transfer switch that automatically switches power sources so that the camper is supplied by one or the other, but not both at the same time.

If you have an Onan, some models have a fuse (probably located on the front panel). If blown, the generator won't crank. Low voltage and bad connections are the other likely causes.

You should probably try starting it from the front panel of the generator to eliminate the remote as a possible cause of the problem.

Also, the generator starting power probably goes through an 12V automotive circuit breaker near the battery. If you're currently plugged into shore power, you could have a low battery and not know it because the Power Converter is supply enough 12V power to run your internal lights and other 12V systems. The generator, hydraulics, stabilizer motor take a different path and have a greater dependence on the battery being charged. It's possible that the circuit breaker between the battery and Power Converter has tripped and needs to be manually reset for the battery to charge.

Here's a link to our 12V troubleshooting guide located in the manuals section of the forum. If the battery is low, this will help you figure out why.

thanks for the info. you are right toyhauler with 5500 Onan gas. I have been trying to start on the gen panel most, I have also tried the panel inside the rv. I will hunt the fuse. I have 12.5 volts to the gen. we had to install a new battery, our controler went bad and fried our old battery. both the controler and battery are new. thanks again for the info, I will check the link.

thanks Dan, but there is nothing in the 12volt trouble shooting guide that helped.
I have 12.8 volts going to the main connection on the gen. I have tried to start from the remote and on the gen. Except for the start light coming on when starting, nothing else happens. My local rv guy said it might be the circuit board. Don't think anything is wrong with the 12volt system. This seems like it is a gen problem. Any more ideals?