Back of camper is coming off!!

shelly556

Hello! It has been awhile since I've had to post anything. We have a 09 2900MK that we bought back 11/08. We took it out last weekend, after not using it for the winter. When we got home and went to wash it, we notice that the back left corner it is coming apart. Its like an end cap that is coming off. I for one would have never in a million years thought that this was even possible. To see that that is all that is holding it together just blew my mind! It is coming apart on the inside too. I have seen some pretty old messed up campers that weren't "coming apart" like this. Has anyone ever seen this before? Any ideas? We are going to take it to that local RV repair place, but I hate to think what it will cost. Attaching pictures, hope I did it right. :)

Attachments

• camper1.JPG
    camper1.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 442
  • camper4.JPG
    camper4.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 440
  • camperinside.JPG
    camperinside.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 408

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I never seen anything like that. Did the trailer develop a water intrusion while it sat through the winter?

wdk450

Shelly:
I would call Heartland Service about this, e-mail them the photos, and see what they might do, before going to your RV repairer.

shelly556

There has been no leaks that we are aware of. When we first got it, we had a leak on the other side at the fridge. But it wasn't for long and it was then fixed. As for rain, we have been dry with a few showers.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen this in the past. The cause of that was the rear cap hooked on to something while turning.
Is if possible that the top of the cap hooked something and pulled away?
Your pics did not show the entire rear cap.

Peace
Dave

shelly556

It is only up about 4ft or so. The top is fine, about half way down is where it starts and then gets bigger as you go down. I can take a full pic this evening.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Then perhaps the lower corner got caught on something. In the interior photo it looks like the framing member snapped. I don't think you could have gotten enough water intrusion to do that without seeing water inside the rig and having a major freeze.

shelly556

I thought that too, but the bumper is fine? I would think that if it got caught on something that it would have caught the bumper as well. Cause it hangs lower. My husband called customer service, they asked for us to email pics but that they are suggesting water damage. I just don't know, still doesn't make sense. If it got caught seems like it would be bent out more at the bottom. And if it were water, again seems like the walls would be swollen from past damage.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It could be that tail swing of your rig, in a turn, caught a low bush or edge of some kind of barrier, possibly a gas station island? We scraped against a thick branched bush and broke the very corner cap in two. Did not damage the rig like yours, but it did not catch the bumper at all. If I hadn't watched it happen, I would have said, "how the heck did that happen?"

DriverSide_BackCorner.jpg

The other question I would ask... Do you have the little down-spouts at the corners of your gutters?imgres.jpeg If so, they make the water off the roof impact the side of your rig (along that vertical joint) much lower... and maybe that is where water could have gotten in?

brianharrison

It's tough to diagnose from a few pictures but I am thinking the screws that hold the rear wall/cap have loosened off/heads snapped off and the rear wall has vibrated loose from the floor and sidewall.

Can you measure the distance from the rear cap to bumper on both sides with an accurate measurement. You may find the separated side has moved back towards the bumper.

Not sure what the inside picture is showing, but the bridged material half way up may be black rtv sealant?

What does it look like under the unit at the separated rear cap area, and on the inside? Can you see end of carpet? I am not sure if carpet is laid on the floor before rear wall or after.

Hope this helps.
Brian

EDIT - Answered my own question - carpet is laid before walls/end caps are installed. You will not see carpet edge as the end cap wall will sit on carpet.

Last edited:

JohnDar

It might just be shadows and lighting, but in photo 1, there appears to be a dark area on the side near the damage. In photo 2, it almost looks like there is an indentation between the marker lamp and the cap, with a distressed spot right at the bottom edge of the side panel. Did something bump into the rig from the side?

Again, this is all "blue sky" analysis. Without actually seeing the damage and inspecting the area inside, it's next to impossible to give you any real cause for this. In creating your photos for Heartland, if you can expose any of the wood framing back there without causing more damage, it might help to decide if it's water intrusion or something else.

jbeletti

Shelly,

You're getting a lot of great feedback here. One that hasn't been brought up is the possibility that shifting loads inside the coach pushed out on the rear wall.

I assume the recliners are back there? Any at some point, they were stowed such that one of them was out in the room just enough for the slide room to catch it while the slide was being brought in for travel? One recliner wedged into another with little room to move and created a pressure point on the rear wall?

All just speculation but just wanted to add another possibility to consider - pressure from the inside of the coach.

JohnDar

Good point, Jim. I had to look at a print catalog of that model to see the layout. But in photo 3, there does appear to be some scuff damage to the wallboard covering and the trim piece.

Again, Shelly556, this is all just speculation based on what can be seen in the photos you posted. But it is looking more like physical damage rather than environmental.

brianharrison

Previous thread circa January 2010 about rear cap separation.

Shelly, you may want to PM or email the original poster for more details. His last activity on the forum was early 2011.

Brian

shelly556

PM sent with a very quick response! We will take a look and see about replacing the screws with longer ones ourselves. Hope this is the fix we were looking for.

wdk450

Shelly556:
I don't know how this situation is all going for you, but you might want to show the rig and damage to well-experienced, well-regarded, independent RV repairer in your area, for in-person appraisal of what has happened, and HOW it happened. I would expect most RV repairers to do this for free. RVServiceReviews.com or asking your fellow local RV owners might help you find someone to do this.

Best Regards,

shelly556

**Update**
Insurance adjuster came out today and did a thorough inspection and took a bunch of pictures. He said that he has never seen anything like this. He doesn't think it is due to water damage because he couldn't find any evidence of it. Now, does anyone have any experience with "hidden" water damage and insurance? I don't know how this works, so I'm just thinking of scenarios. Lets say insurance says, "ok, we will pay for it if they don't uncover any water damage." Then repair shop takes back off and finds damage, who pays then? Or does insurance approve it on the chance there might be water damage? Hope I asked that correctly. He hasn't given us an answer either way. He is going to take his pictures and do some research then let us know.

RuralPastor

I agree with your adjuster. If water damage is discovered, it would certainly be post-damage. Those pictures are not indicative of water-induced damage. Jim's scenario is certainly plausible.

shelly556

*** Update**** Well, insurance gave us a check for just enough for the camper repair place to screw the end cap back on. Because he didn't see any reason to do any more. So If we were to ask the repair guys to do any extra, or look for more, its not covered.