Could I use a 50 amp EMS on a 30 amp trailer?

EandJ

This might sound like a strange question, but reading the thread about all the fiver guys that carry and use extra 30 amp cords for big trailers in a pinch got me to wondering. Since I need to buy a EMS, could I just buy the 50 amp version and do the reverse? I'm going to be buying the portable version from Progressive Industries, so if I happen to bump up to a fifth wheel, or a tt with 50 amp service, I would already have my EMS.

I already have a 50 amp to 30 amp pigtail, so is there any reason this would not work?

Since RV'ers are known to occasionally upgrade their coaches, it seems spending about $60 more now, might save me a bit later.

RuralPastor

If your connection configuration is correct, it should work just fine. The EMS measures fault current, low/high voltage. Those parameters are the same for both 30 and 50 amp. I think it's fair to say that many on this forum plug their 50 amp EMS into a 30 amp pedestal at some campgrounds without issue. I could be wrong, but I would think you're okay. Others will chime in soon.

EandJ

Well, poking around on the net, I think the price differential is more like $100 between the 50 amp and the 30 amp. I also found an male 30 amp to female 50amp adaptor online for $11 that would let me plug the EMS into a pedastal without 50 amp power. I think that would be all I need.

jnbhobe

It will work either way but if you plan on upgrading get the 50 amp now because you won't get anything for it on a trade.

brianharrison

It may provide electical quality monitoring, but I cannot say for sure. However, I would be concerned you are plugged into a 50 amp service with a 30 amp cord. I have always maintained the breakers/fuses protect the downstream wiring/devices.

Your trailer 30 amp breaker will protect downstream of the AC distribution panel in your trailer, but there is nothing protecting the 30amp cord from the pedastal to the tailer panel. I think that is a big risk considering these cords/connections usually take a fair amount of abuse - rolling out, rolling in, cold, hot, UV, water, etc. Risky, in my opinion.

Brian

Edit - just re-read; I think? you are tying into a 30amp shore power outlet and using an adapter and then a 50 amp portable EMS and then back to your 30amp cord? If so - ignore my comments above - but they still apply for anyone thinking of tying into a 50 amp pedastal for their 30 amp trailer.

EandJ

Edit - just re-read; I think? you are tying into a 30amp shore power outlet and using an adapter and then a 50 amp portable EMS and then back to your 30amp cord? If so - ignore my comments above - but they still apply for anyone thinking of tying into a 50 amp pedastal for their 30 amp trailer.

Yeah - this is what I was trying to say in a round about way. Told y'all it was a strange question. :D

We originally bought the 50amp male to 30 amp female adapter because we did stay at a CG with only 50 amp service. But that's pretty rare for us.

EandJ

It will work either way but if you plan on upgrading get the 50 amp now because you won't get anything for it on a trade.

That's what I was thinking. We plan on keeping this trailer for quite a while. BUT I've also notice in just the short time I've been on here reading, how often some of y'all get the bug.

Rickhansen

I believe you could use the 50A model in a 30A application. You can probably call the manufacturer (Progressive Industries in Morrisville, NC) and verify with them. I would specifically ask about their connection terminals and what size wire it will accommodate compared to what size wiring you have.

TXTiger

So now after reading this thread I have a question. I have a 50 amp rig with a 50 amp EMS and 50 amp power cord. What if I am in a campground that only has 30 amp and I use a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter at the pedistal to plug in. Is my EMS still working? Is my power cord still usable? Or do I need another set of 30 amp equipment?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
You should have no problem. I plug my 50a power cable into a 50a surge guard then to a 50/30 amp adapter to run on 30amp service if I have to use one.

BC

Gaffer

I have the 50 amp unit and have used it several times where only 30 amps is available. Would not be without it.

Phatkd

A little of topic,..but I just returned from the dropping my 5er off at the dealership to have some warranty work completed and a few other things done, 1 of which was the installation of a hard mounted PI 50 amp surge protector. The service manager said they are currently working on 4,..yes thats right 4 coaches that were all parked at a local year round campground. All 4 coaches suffered COMPLETE electrical failure on all electrical components due to an enourmous surge. The campground had no idea why it happened, but it made me extremely happy that adding the Progresive Industries hard wired EMS to my coach was one of the first additions.

And to think,..without this forum I would have never even given it a second thought.

EandJ

Just got off the phone with Progressive Industries. He said with the correct adaptors I should have no problem.

Now to find the cheapest place.

EandJ

If anybody is interested in the portable 50 amp Progressive EMS, this place is running a special right now. I picked it up and the dogbone adaptor I needed for about $15 cheaper for both than I found the EMS by itself anywhere else.

http://www.campingconnection.com/