Looking for "commercial" routes

ingrafx

So, I know the local roads with low overhead clearances, old covered bridges, stone RR trestles and parkways. What I need is trip planning software or hardware (GPS) that lets me avoid these obstacles on the open road. Google Maps has nothing, Mapquest not so much, my ancient Garmon had some "commercial" rte options, but I can't get batteries or new maps for it anymore. Any suggestions. I don't want a 20 lb atlas.

Thanks
Harvey (pronounced RV)

danemayer

You can go to allstays.com and look at the low clearance maps by state. They also have mobile apps, but I don't remember whether they provide low clearance info on the mobile.

Or you can get a GPS that handles this. The Garmin Dezl is a trucker's GPS that also does RVs. You create a profile for your rig and switch to that profile when towing.

allstayslowclear.jpg

happykraut

Good Sam Club routing might be of some help to you. They have parameters you can set for your route. I know low clearance is one of them.

oldmannj

that 20 pound atlas is your best defense against low clearance/light bridge weight roads. NONE of the gps/mobile devices are infallable. I love my GPS but if I'm taking a route less travelled I still break out the commercial rand mcnally atlas. With 39 years on the road it's the ONLY way to be sure you won't get into trouble. ED

wdk450

RV:
I did some searching on this (curious myself), and found a truckers forum where the consensus seemed to be: "Use a Rand McNally printed Motor Transport map". One guy recommended the Rand McNally Truckers GPS. I went to the Rand McNally GPS site and found the Truckers section. They seem to have a number of these, and there is even a link to cheaper, factory refurbished units, on this page.
http://www.randmcnally.com/products/intelliroute_tnd/intelliroute_tnd_720.jsp

Wharton

We have a Garmin GPS with lifetime maps(FYI). Downloaded from some website(had to pay) low clearances to the Garmin. Works great. The only confusion is sometimes when going over a low clearance the Garmin signals us.

mdamerell

If the road starts with an "I" like I-35 your good to go. If it starts with a "US" like US-30 your 95% good to go. If it starts with a state name like "M" for Michigan state road you better get out the truckers map and check your clearances. If your in the East anything less than an "I" road and a "commercial truck route" you go to the trucks map to check clearance. Parkways and such are normally cars only and have low clearances built in to keep the trucks off. That's been my experience pulling 13'6". Also in NY they mark overpasses short unless it say "Actual". If in doubt follow a truck. If he gets stuck, stop and go back.

DesertThumper

This is one thread I am thankful to find because I was curious about clearances for the Fifth Wheel when traveling state to state. This is very helpful and useful information!!! I will check up on some of your recommendations.