swaying down the road...

Hi All, just would like to get some feedback. We just bought a new Road Warrior 30C. We're on our way to Pheonix from our home in Calgary. We're experiencing swaying down the road. We've got our Harley's in the back. Is this typical because of the extensive weight in the garage?
Thanks. Jennifer

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello 2Harley2Haul and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. This is a great place to share information.
I moved your thread to the Road Warrior area where you should get some input from other toy hauler owners.
I have not heard of any sway issues with a toy hauler.
What are you using for a tow vehicle? And have you had the truck and trailer weighed together and the truck then weighed alone to determine the pin weight?
If your pin weight is too light that would contribute to the sway.

Peace
Dave

ILH

I'm not 100% familiar with the layout of the 30C - but an easy way to determine pin weight issues with a heavy load in the garage is to start out with full water tanks (should put positive weight on the pin). Obviously you don't want to travel with the tanks full, but it will allow you to experiment with pin weight balance.

Lou_and_Bette

Hey 2Harley2Haul, I have my Ultra Classic and, since we full time in our RW 405, a lot more stuff in our garage and I don't usually have any issues with swaying (occasionally with pretty high winds) so I agree with the posters above concerning your pin weight. If you are going to the national rally they will have a crew that weighs each wheel and can tell you all you need to know about your weight and balance...if you have a truck stop that has the CAT scales, or a few dollars you can get you rig weighed there - but this will only give you the tow vehicle's weight and the weight on the on the rigs wheels then go and weigh the truck alone - subtract the loaded weight o the truck and the unloaded weight and this will be your pin weight. Pin weight should be between 15-25% of trailer weight. One other thought, what are you pulling the rig with? If tow vechicle is overloaded this could contibute to the sway problem. Welcome to the forum and good luck in your travels

truknutt

Committed Member
Not only are pin weight and proper loading important but, the attitude of the trailer and truck to begin with is important. With an empty trailer, is your RW level? It may be that your RW is running "uphill" so to speak. Adjusting the the hitch height may be required. Also, it's important that all of your tires are aired up properly.