Ramp Door Locking Poles

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
A buddy just got back from Florida with his year old Voltage toy hauler. Naturally I asked how the RV was working out for them. He said they liked it but it was going in the shop for some work on the ramp door. I said "Huh?" He proceeds to explain that the poles that hold the ramp shut had worn about half way through the aluminum border strips on the door. I found that hard to believe!
When I came home I opened the ramp door on our Cyclone and much to my disappointment I found that I was showing the same wear!
What kind of solutions has anyone come up with? This amount of wear in such a short time has to be stopped before it turns into a bigger problem.
(Sorry about the picture quality)

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 252

CrazyCooter

I have well over 10,000 miles on our 300C and have noticed some wear there as well.

Because of my previous issue with the garage/kitchen wall flexing and coming apart, I install cables in an "X" pattern across the ramp door opening on longer trips as the whole body real does move around a lot in transit.

More recently, I have thinking about getting some UHMW tape and applying it here to minimize the wear.

Lou_and_Bette

I also have many miles on my Road Warrior and noticed some wearing but since these strips are aluminum would expect some intial grooving...check and make sure you are still sealing tight and if so I believe you are good to go

jimtoo

What about gluing or maybe glue and a couple of screws to attach a strip of hard Teflon inplace or on the aluminum strips. They make a Teflon strip for boat trailers,, maybe it would work. Don't know how long of piece you would need, but the teflon is hard stuff... Maybe a teflon cutting board cut to right width. Just thinking... which I probably should not do.

Jim M

porthole

Retired
Same issues here.
Haven't done anything about it yet, but have considered the UHMW tape. Just haven't gone to a woodworking show lately to pick some up.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Ultra high molecular weight polyethylene.
highly resistant to abrasions, chemical-resistant, and maintains its high-impact strength even at low temperatures.

http://www.shop3m.com/70016040316.html?WT.mc_ev=clickthrough&WT.mc_id=shop3m-AtoZ-3M-UHMW-PE-Tape

image-310.php

CrazyCooter

...or for a low cost option, what about slicing a section of heater hose and slipping over the tube? May try that for the next ride out.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
...or for a low cost option, what about slicing a section of heater hose and slipping over the tube? May try that for the next ride out.
Not a whole lot of clearance for something that thick. I'd be afraid of damaging the seal on the door.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Considering that plastic milk jugs are made of HDPE, high-density polyethylene, plastic, maybe strips of a jug could be taped with double sided carpet tape. It may not work as well as UHMW plastic tape but the price would be significantly better.

jeffdee

I have had my 3110 for 3 weeks now and have pulled it a little over 200 miles. I am seeing the beginning of the wear described above. I purchased a roll of UHMW tape from Amazon for $15.58. Dimensions: 1.0" x 0.01" x 18 yards. I used 4 - 49" strips. The tape is clear. You have to remove the adhesive paper tape. The adhesive on the clear tape was very good. I thoroughly cleaned the surfaces on the ramp and the pipes before I installed the tape. When I finished I put a thin coat of Rem oil to the slick surfaces. There is defintely no friction when closing the door locks now.

photo 1a.jpg photo 2a.jpg photo 4a.jpg photo 6a.jpg photo 7a.jpg photo 12a.jpg photo 13a.jpg

I will monitor the performance of the tape. My next trip will be in about 4 weeks.

Last edited: