Maintaining 110 psi

Birchwood

I have Goodyear 614 tires on our Landmark.Why is it so difficult to keep them at 110 psi?
I ask the installers to inflate them to 110 and when I check a few days later it 100 or 104 psi.
Its such a time consuming job to bring 4 tires to 110 psi with a portable compressor I have accepted
the fact that 100 psi will be adequate but know 110 psi would be optimum.

danemayer

Our G614s hold air pretty well and usually go several months before they drop even 5 pounds. That's checking in the morning with temps at about 70 and tires not in the direct sun. At temps go up and down and the sun comes into play, the tire pressure changes a lot.

lwmcguir

I have Goodyear 614 tires on our Landmark.Why is it so difficult to keep them at 110 psi?
I ask the installers to inflate them to 110 and when I check a few days later it 100 or 104 psi.
Its such a time consuming job to bring 4 tires to 110 psi with a portable compressor I have accepted
the fact that 100 psi will be adequate but know 110 psi would be optimum.
One of the fellows that works for me has quite a time checking tires that we run at 110-125 without loosing pressure. We have found no need to check them more than a couple times per year under normal usage. Watch the temperature when you stop looking for one that is warmer than the other on the same side. You wont loose a few pound of pressure overnight as danemayer notes.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You may have asked the installer for 110 psi, but I doubt that they did that.
I have bought two sets of G-614's, asked for 110 psi, but didn't get it.
Once I aired them up at home, everything was good.

Peace
Dave

JanAndBill

You have a leak somewhere. When they mounted the tires did they also change the valve stems? If they did then check that the valve cores are tight, and there are no leaks at the rim. Mix up some soapy water and spray around the valve stem. If no leaks there then spray around the beads to check for leaks. It would be odd if all the tires were doing this, you sure someones not messing with you.

MTPockets

There can be wide variances in gages. One gage may read 110 while another will read 100... Those stick gages may even read 110 then two seconds later read 105....

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have seen similar fluxuation but it is normally due to temperature of the day, heat from traveling and if the sun is hitting the tires.

As mentioned above, set the pressure early in the morning. If the sun is on one side the pressure could be up a couple of pounds. I wouldn't mess with the pressure except in the morning.

If you constantly check the pressure with a manual gauge you are going to be loosing a small amount of air each time you check the pressure. You might get a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) like TST (Truck System Technologys) or PressurePro. This way you don't have to go around checking each tire manually.

BC

dave10a

I have the same tires and found the pressure varies significantly with temperature. The colder they get the lower the pressure. My tire monitor measure temperature and pressure which has allowed me to make a pressure verses temperature table and it is surprising how much the pressure changes with temperature. So always measure the pressure at the same temperature. The reason I made a chart is I filled one tire with nitrogen and the other with normal air to see if nitrogen is effective and lives up to the claims of those who sell nitrogen. Guess what the nitrogen is a scam because there is no advantage with nitrogen. The air craft industry uses it in their tires because it is non flammable and has no danger of fire.

rick_debbie_gallant

I have the same tires and found the pressure varies significantly with temperature. The colder they get the lower the pressure. My tire monitor measure temperature and pressure which has allowed me to make a pressure verses temperature table and it is surprising how much the pressure changes with temperature. So always measure the pressure at the same temperature. The reason I made a chart is I filled one tire with nitrogen and the other with normal air to see if nitrogen is effective and lives up to the claims of those who sell nitrogen. Guess what the nitrogen is a scam because there is no advantage with nitrogen. The air craft industry uses it in their tires because it is non flammable and has no danger of fire.

Hummm, I always thought "regular air" was also nonflammable. It is after all "80%" nitrogen. Just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Birchwood

Seems new inflation equipment will be required to bring the tires to 110psi.I have two compressors with a stamp
on one that states max pressure 275 psi and the other 150 psi.Neither compressor will achive the 110 psi value.
Unless you are a mecanical engineer majoring in pneumatic pressure its somewhat false specifications.

dave10a

Hummm, I always thought "regular air" was also nonflammable. It is after all "80%" nitrogen. Just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Without getting too technical-- tires will burn in normal air that we breath, but not 100% nitrogen. Also the reason I chose to test and monitor nitrogen tires vs normal air filled tires is because the chemistry and physics that I learned in school did not support the claims of those who sell nitrogen for normal trailer and truck applications and I wanted a real world data evaluation to support the theory I was taught. Guess what may data is support the theories. Don't waste your money filling those tires. Airplane and race cars can justify 100% nitrogen more than regular use of trucks and trailers.

dave10a

Seems new inflation equipment will be required to bring the tires to 110psi.I have two compressors with a stamp
on one that states max pressure 275 psi and the other 150 psi.Neither compressor will achive the 110 psi value.
Unless you are a mecanical engineer majoring in pneumatic pressure its somewhat false specifications.

My three gallon Sears compressor rated at 125psi fills the my tires easily to 110psi at 70 deg F.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Times 3 for the sears compressor. Just make sure you get it pumpin before attempting to add air.

A question for those running G614's. What tire pressures do you see on your tire monitors while running down the road in say 75-80 degree ambient temperatures?

For the original poster... Are you adding air every time you check the tires? Or are there times you have to relieve pressure? Cold pressures will vary with ambient temperatures.

dave10a

Times 3 for the sears compressor. Just make sure you get it pumpin before attempting to add air.

A question for those running G614's. What tire pressures do you see on your tire monitors while running down the road in say 75-80 degree ambient temperatures?

For the original poster... Are you adding air every time you check the tires? Or are there times you have to relieve pressure? Cold pressures will vary with ambient temperatures.
Generally normally loaded tires run about 50 deg F more than ambient while traveling at 60-65 mph. So at 70-80 deg the tires run about 120-130 deg.

TedS

For reference, pressure will change 1psi for every 10F change. Why check tire pressure so frequently? Once a month should be more than enough. A properly mounted tire should not lose more than 1psi in a month. Most consumer pressure gages are not more accurate than that.

dave10a

Dave, I was looking for pressures not temps. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
About 120 psi plus or minus 5 psi. The nitrogen and normal air show about 1 deg difference. But the accuracy of my monitor device is 3 % so the difference between nitrogen and normal air is negligable. I filled my tires 6 months ago and they have lost about 1-2 psi for both the nitrogen and normal air. However with the measurement error of my equipment it is hard to say how much was really lost. Previously I had a slow leak from a nail that was causing a loss of air in one tire of 1 psi per week. I fixed the leak and filled that tire with nitrogen to run my comparison tests. It cost me $10 to fill it with nitrogen which turned out to be a waste of money. However, I now know that normal air is good. It should be noted that I use a filter/water seperator on the comprssor to minimise the water vapor.