Carlyle F's or Geostar G's

wdk450

Gang:
It's time to buy a couple of new tires for the Bighorn. Originals were Freestar 235 85R 16 LR G. Les Schwab has the Geostar ST Load Range G in stock at all of its stores, and it has a load spec of 3750 lbs at 110 PSI inflation (I have 2 - 7000 lb axles). America's Tire (Discount Tire's name on the West Coast) has the Carlisle in a Load Range F, but with a load spec of 3960 lbs at 95 PSI inflation.

I guess I have learned that the "Load Range" alphabetic spec seems to REALLY be a "number of plies" spec.; since the Carlisle with less plies has a higher load spec.

So, the question is "Which to buy?" - The tire with more plies, or the tire with a higher load spec? The prices are similar.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bill, I don't know if you've seen the thread on my G614 failure but I didn't have any choice but Hercules 12 ply LR-F. They seem pretty darn nice and I shopped in Waynesville today for 2 more. Found a dealer that can have them in a day for $140 each mounted plus balance and tax. I'm seriously considering these as a replacement for the G614's. For me it's more of a cash available thing at this point.

wdk450

Actually, I currently have 2 Geostars and 2 original Freestars on the trailer. I guess I am hoping that someone will clue me in on how important ply rating is versus load capacity. Maybe I will go to the tire stores and ask them.

The 200 pounds more capacity on the Carlyle's seems pretty significant.

ON EDIT: I found a Carlisle chart on these tires that seemed to indicate that that size tire was rated 3960 on a single axle and 3520 on a dual axle. That data seems to make the Geostars the winner.

Last edited:

berky

I found a Carlisle chart on these tires that seemed to indicate that that size tire was rated 3960 on a single axle and 3520 on a dual axle. That data seems to make the Geostars the winner.
Most of the time the single and dual ratings refer to the number of tires on one end of the same axle, e.g., the tires on a dually truck. I browsed Carlisle's catalog and didn't see where they meant their single and dual numbers to be interpreted any differently.

And in the FWIW department, I thought the tire application information in the back of their catalog was about as forthright as I have seen for a company that makes ST tires. Who knows, maybe that same philosophy pervades the whole company.

wdk450

Most of the web comments on Carlisle trailer tires seem to be negative. Besides that, I need to have my bearings repacked and Les Schwab Tires (who has the Geostars in stock) will repack the bearings for $65 an axle; all of the RV repairers around here want $100 an axle.

Gaffer

Hey Bill, when I was looking at Les Schwab a couple of years back, they carried Towmax. Wonder if they finally dropped them because they couldn't stand behind them. I know they carry Maxxis in a mud tire model named Bighorn. I was looking at them for my jeep for when my BFG mudders wear out. Too bad they don't carry the Maxxis trailer tire. I have always gotten good service from Les Schwab. Just wish they were in So Cal and Arizona too.

dbbls59

I don't believe I could bring myself to buy another set of Carlisle tires. Had a bad experience with the tires however Carlisle did treat me very good with the warranty replacement. There was lots of negative comments on the web about Carlisle tires back about 8 to 12 years ago. I have not heard much about them lately however.

wdk450

2nd try at this reply - I couldn't find forum instructions or how to retrieve Auto Save after previous typing was lost:

Started with 5 Freestars which were Original Equipment when the trailer was produced in 2008. 1 deveoped a sidewall bubble and non-moving blowout 2 years ago, another had sidewall shredded due to drum/bearing failure last year. Both times (Washington and Idaho) I was near Les Schwab stores which had the Geostars in stock for this size/application. Now original 2 Freestars on the ground are pretty well worn, and 5 years old.

The Geostars are ALL steel, and Les Schwab stands behind them. Here is a link: http://www.geostartrucktire.com/tires/steerhighway/geostar-g574?tab=details

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I think the problem with most of these tires are that they are manufactured and produced in China, which because of their lack of quality control, is an invitation for problems. IMHO tires are something that you do not skimp on and need to spend the money to get a quality product. Any tire that you run, if you constantly operate it within 10% of its maximum capacity (weight rating) then you are begging for problems. This is the exact reason that I have upgraded to the 17.5 inch wheels and the G114 tires to keep the tires from working constantly close to their maximum limits. In addition, the Goodyear G114 tires are manufactured in the USA and have a quality control program and inspection that they have to pass, unlike their Chinese made counterparts.

Rod Ditrich

beasleyrl

Most of the web comments on Carlisle trailer tires seem to be negative.
For what it's worth, we installed Carlisle's on our Cyclone about 3 years ago. Haven't had any problems with them... We've taken the rig from VA to FL and from VA to ME with lots of stops in between over these years so we've definitely put the miles on them and we'll have to replace them this year. I will certainly consider them again.