Installed Mor-Stor Slide in Basement of 3950

wiredawgchief

Hi all, I installed this a few months ago, but forgot to list it. I decided I wanted basement slide storage when I saw it on a bus type RV. I purchased a 33" x 48" and received a 36"x90". I decided to keep it and cut it down to 36"x48". FYI, I purchased the extra hardware and have a 36"x42" slide extra. The 36"x48" is a better dimension for the Cyclone 3950 as the width just clears the slam door on the curb-side. The drivers side opening is narrower because of the utility panel. Otherwise, it would slide either opening. Anyway, I like this setup better. You lose a little storage for the space the slide uses, but to me it's worth the access. Here are the pics. I'm still working installing the ice machine...this will be my most involved project when done. Take care, Ron

Attachments

• storage 001 (640x478).jpg
    storage 001 (640x478).jpg
    153 KB · Views: 346
  • storage 002 (640x478).jpg
    storage 002 (640x478).jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 309
  • storage 003 (640x478).jpg
    storage 003 (640x478).jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 310
  • storage 004 (640x478).jpg
    storage 004 (640x478).jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 326

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
When our unit was having the IS and disc brakes installed... We had a 42"x90" tray installed....LOVE it! So nice not having to empty the bay to get to those items in the middle...

oscar

I'm wondering if a slide would interfere with the access to the systems part of the basement on the 4100. Basically the whole bulkhead has to come out....

wiredawgchief

KAKampers: Nice you had wide openings on both sides... On a 2013 Cyclone 3950, there is 40" of horizontal clearance on the curb side basement and 30" on the driver's side. Two points played in me cutting the slide length a little more than halfway and not cutting the width down to 30" was (1) too much lost width storage space, and (2) I wanted to keep access to the driver side basement panel that opens to the utility unit, hot water heater valves and plumbing. I did have option of installing the 36"x48" slide on the curb side (as I did) and cut the remaining 36"x42" slide down to 30"x42"on the driver's side (which I didn't do). I store one of the foldup picnic tables, two nice recliners, RV electric cord and water hoses. If both side basement openings are the same width, it is ideal to install the long unit that slides out equally either side. This is a great, easy to install upgrade. Ron

wiredawgchief

Oscar, If your unit has basement widths like mine, suggest you purchase the 36"X48" slide unit and only install on the curbside only. You'll like it, I'm sure. Ron

oscar

For now I'm happy with large tubs which essentially do the same thing as a slide, and they are a lot lighter.

wiredawgchief

Oscar, I used to use them too. Now, I actually carrying more large items and have just one small container in the slide. That "little" barbeque in the pic weighs about 100lbs. Used to carry it on the truck, but got worried about it getting stolen. check ya later, Ron

oscar

I hear ya. My mission is to keep the basement contents as light as possible. I am right up to the limits on my weight and every little bit helps. If you don't REALLY need it, don't bring it is the motto.

wiredawgchief

Oscar, You know what's interesting is when you have 8 folks camping and up to 20 hanging out. When fully setup, I pull the charcoal grill out, the gas grill the picnic table and all the chairs I can carry. That's why I upgraded to the 4500 with 30K GCWR. The RV is 18.3K fully loaded, fueled and with full tank of water. My brother-in-law brings another 110 gallons of water when we dry camp. I'm close though, with just a few lbs under 30K. Hope we get to meet up some time and have a cold one! Take care, Ron

oscar

The RV is 18.3K fully loaded, fueled and with full tank of water.

That's pretty good. You must keep it light in the garage, and/or you went easy on the options. Yup, the cold one's on me. Most of the time I'm stocked up on home brew.

wiredawgchief

Oscar, Base weight of 3950 (14,050), I carry a 1,700lb Kawasaki mule, got all options except 2nd fuel cell (possible future upgrade), no dual pane windows. Here's the math est weights: garage patio (50lbs) elect ramp door awning (75lbs), 2nd A/C (100lbs), Garage fridge (150lbs), generator (200lbs) Splindide XL (150lbs), extra TVs (bedroom/garage, 50 lbs) three Fantastic fans (negl), 30 gal fuel (180 lbs), 100 gal water (800lbs), beddings (100lbs), clothes (100lbs), pots/pans misc (100lbs), basement slide 80lbs , contents basement (500lbs) = 18,485. That's about right because I didn't have the Mor-Slide in when I weighed the truck, trailer. Not exceeding any tire, axle, pin, pin box, or hitch ratings. The truck was weighed dogs, wife and me, 184 qt ice chest full of ice/sodas, and 112 gal fuel. I may replace the trailer tires with Michelin or Good Year E rated truck tires. Had great results with them on the travel supreme, which weighed 17,800 lbs and 3 ft shorter. Have you weighed your rig fully loaded with passengers? I make a point to never exceed tires, axles or hitch ratings. Take care and see ya. gonna finish the ice machine install Friday. Ron

Last edited:

oscar

My base is much higher at 15.5. Yes I have weighed it and I'm good on all tires, axles, hitch and GCVW. Just have to watch it.

wiredawgchief

Wow, that is close. Before I'm done, I will be easily reach above 19Klbs on the trailer. I made decision today to replace the tires next month. I can get the 19K lbs without exceeding the tires, axles or pin. I believe the frame and structure can handle it. Take care buddy. Ron