What options on Big Country?

We will probably be going to bite the bullet in the next week or two and start requesting bids for a 2014 BC 3251TS, so I am busy going through the build sheet. While I know most of the things we want, my question to you is, in your experiences, which options do you think are absolutely necessary and which ones did you buy that you wish you didn't? Some things I'm not even sure what they are, so don't know if they are necessary or even desirable. Example would be "Rear Cap". Thanks in advance for any replies. This is my first post.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
KnightsWatch - welcome to the forum. We have had 2 Big Countrys over 7 years, loving each one of them. Would suggest a bedroom hvac (when we ordered our unit, the 2nd ac unit was only a option) and a 2nd awning on the living slide. The 2nd awning is a great option in that it gives you additional covered sitting outside but also helps reduce heating by the sun. I know others will chime in with other suggestions.

Thanks for the input. Had determined that we wanted the 2nd AC. They list "slide room awnings" which I figured we wanted. Additional awnings are not listed so guess that would be a special order deal.

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Hey KnightsWatch,

We picked up our 2nd, New, 2014 3650RL Big Country 2 weeks ago. This one has almost all the bells & whistles.

The "slide awnings" are slide "toppers", which we love....don't have to get on ladder to clean off slide on departures. We did order the 2nd slide Awning like Nabo mentioned.....was only about $300ish from factory vs. about $1200 aftermarket!!! (not on order sheet) And it has the new LED's for the extra "cool" factor.....actually pretty nice night lights and awesome for over the CG picnic table!
We also like the Dual Pane windows, no condensation and cuts down on exterior noise.
WE LOVE the LEVELUP!!!!!
Also not on order sheet was the electric power cord reel.....GREAT!!
Agree with Nabo on the 2nd air....we also added Heat Pump to main air....some folks like the electric heat strip. The Fireplace and Heat Pump worked great on our first trip out...nice & toasty!
We did Maximum Beauflor instead of carpet, I think the 3251 may already do that standard....it was no extra charge, DW has a nice rug she throws down during setup.
I also requested a Fantastic fan in bathroom to replace the pathetic 2 inch fan.
Another BIG plus is the Theater Seating....very comfortable!!
Upgraded to the Goodyear....even though we must have been one of the few to have zero problems with the TowMax.
Luxury options we added were the Convection Microwave, Yeti package, 4 door fridge and washer dryer.....I purchased and installed the bedroom TV on a Dual mount wall bracket, one in BR and the other in Basement for outdoor viewing!
That about covers it.....oh, the folding chairs are nice too....we keep 2 chairs setup and can pull the folding chairs out for company. They still included the 4 "fixed" chairs, so now we have 2 in the garage at home....spares??

Gee, did I forget something:confused::confused::confused: Yep, got the Hydraulic Slide Selector too.......I guess I can call this a "Big Landmark Horn Country".........full body paint not available.......YET:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Enjoy your BC!!!!!

brianharrison

We will probably be going to bite the bullet in the next week or two and start requesting bids for a 2014 BC 3251TS, so I am busy going through the build sheet. While I know most of the things we want, my question to you is, in your experiences, which options do you think are absolutely necessary and which ones did you buy that you wish you didn't? Some things I'm not even sure what they are, so don't know if they are necessary or even desirable. Example would be "Rear Cap". Thanks in advance for any replies. This is my first post.

Heartland offers owners the opportunity to add "unpublished options" ie options not on the published build sheet. I do not know what this list currently consists of, but in the past it was upgraded axles/tires, surge protector, back up camera etc. These are options that HL would be putting on other coaches (maybe not Big Country), and the materials/ability already exists within the HL factories (obviously you cannot ask for a hot tub to be installed on the roof). Availability of these on the specific coach you choose are discussed with the dealer and then HL.

I encourage you to start with the build sheet and then ask on this forum - what else do others suggest? then have conversations with your dealer to add extras that you wish to pay the $$ to get added to your dealer ordered coach

Hope this helps (and does not add to your brain cramp).

Brian

Following Brian's suggestion here is my current build option list:

EXTERIOR OPTIONS
Slide Room Awnings
Generator prep (might actually want to do more boondocking than we expect)
Power Cord Reel
MorRyde Hitch

INTERIOR OPTIONS
Theater Seating
4 Door 12.7 cu Refer

HEATING & COOLING
2nd AC unit.............Do not know if we want to go heat pumps or not.
Yeti Weather Package
Dual Pane Windows

That's it. Any and all recommendations will be appreciated.

brianharrison

I had to go look at the 2014 MSRP Sheet for BC to see what is currently on the option lists. I assume the Big Country Gold Edition and Big Country Package are required (forced) options.

That said, I love spending others money! Which means that what I suggest is dependant on what YOU beleive is worth the $$s.

6 point Hydraulic Leveling - less hassle with boards/leveling side to side as I age, also allows the tires to be changed without a jack:)
Queen bed IPO King - gives more room in bedroom, - the only king bed we have is in our trailer; we could do without
convection microwave
stackable washer/dryer if you are going to live it in for periods greater than a week away from home washer/dryer and hooked to full services
fireplace for sure (As Dave mentions)

I would get (unpublished)
updgraded tires (G rated good years)
back up camera
full timers package (TPMS, full coach surge protector, bike rack receiver hitch

I'll update as I think of more.
BRian

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
We chose mor ryde hitch, slide awanings, 6 pt leveling, rear cap, 4 door reefer, convection oven, 2nd ac, fantastic fan, max Lino and day night shades instead of wood blindes. Also got darker leather with bronze interior. Most of my wants got removed by the CFO and most of hers were included in the forced options.

If I had money I would get dual panes, yeti pkg, heat pumps, upgraded axels and g614's along with the 2nd awaning.

Theresau

We did not get the dual pane windows. We have only had very minimal steaming if any on our Bighorn. Good examples were recently in Florida when it dropped as low as the high 20s a couple of nights - no steam at all and when we got home here in Michigan we left the heat on while we cleaned and cleared it out and even here no steamed windows at all. Instead we upgraded the tires and wheels to G rated Goodyears.

Theresau

Hey KnightsWatch,

.....I purchased and installed the bedroom TV on a Dual mount wall bracket, one in BR and the other in Basement for outdoor viewing!

In regard to installing the TVs in the BR and basement - did you find studs available in the BR and basement. Our plan is to do the same. We have a 24" for the bedroom (wanted to leave room for a lamp) and a 26" for the basement. (In our Bighorn we had a splitter for satellite and we setup satellite in the basement as well...) Greatly enjoy the TV in the basement especially in FL in the winter when there are no insects yet.

Theresa

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Hey KnightsWatch,

.....I purchased and installed the bedroom TV on a Dual mount wall bracket, one in BR and the other in Basement for outdoor viewing!

In regard to installing the TVs in the BR and basement - did you find studs available in the BR and basement. Our plan is to do the same. We have a 24" for the bedroom (wanted to leave room for a lamp) and a 26" for the basement. (In our Bighorn we had a splitter for satellite and we setup satellite in the basement as well...) Greatly enjoy the TV in the basement especially in FL in the winter when there are no insects yet.

Theresa

Hey Theresa,

The BR wall is TV "ready", per our dealer. I have a 32" mounted using a very coarse threads on the mounting screws.....it seems plenty snug and with about a 1000 miles it hasn't fallen off the wall yet!! :rolleyes:
I used 1 1-2" length, you DON'T want them going through the outside wall!! I also added 4 eye screws behind the TV and use 2 bungee cords on left/right side of TV holding it firm against wall when traveling.

In the basement I used those spring loaded butterfly nuts that open up when pushed into basement wall board.....plenty sturdy for small led/LCD TV's......you could add a 1"x 4" board behind basement wall and attached to that through basement wall board.

Safe Travels!!

Lance