Fiberglass laminate separating.

Hi everyone. My wife and I purchased a Northtrail travel trailer by Heartland just a little over two years ago. We used it twice the first year, 2011, and it wasn't used at all last year. Just to busy to get away. Today I went out to take the cover off and noticed the fiberglass laminate on the front of the trailer is separating in several places, some of the spots are over a foot long and several inches wide. I looked all over the trailer and can find no areas were any water or moisture got under it. Anyone else have or hear of this problem. Any ideas how to fix it or opinions if the factory would fix it. I don't think the warranty goes this long. It really make me mad because this trailer is well taken care of and is just over two years old.
Thanks, Wes

Just an update to what I have found out so far about this problem. I had a friend talk to a RV repair facility, since he was going there for his rv, and said he is seeing a lot of these same problems. He is actually working on a 2012 trailer now with the same problem. Apparently Heartland started using a fiberboard with the fiberglass laminated to it and any moister at all that gets under it causes this separation to happen. The guy said that when they switched to this fiberboard from plywood this started to happen. I've contacted Heartland and am in e-mail communications with them wanting pictures at this time. I'm in the process of getting the pictures to them and then we will see. The right thing to do would be for the company to cover the entire costs of the repair but I doubt that will happen. If it doesn't happen it will be the last Heartland trailer I purchase. This whole thing is BS as this should not happen with a two year old RV, kept covered or not.

Got a lot of views, no one want to chime in here? Anyway another update. Turns out the Wife says didn't we pay for an extended warranty? I don't remember. Sure enough, payed 2000 dollars for a 6 year extended warranty now the fight begins.

jimtoo

HI Wes,

I would suggest you take pictures, good pictures that show the problem area, and contact Heartland Customer Service, 574-262-8030,,,877-262-8032. Have your VIN handy and ask for the North Trail rep... Don't be surprised if they tell you no, but it's a place to start. And remember,, honey attracts more workers than vinegar.

It would not hurt to post the pictures here on the forum also. You could get second opinions before you make your call.

Jim M

Jim
Thanks for commenting. Yes I will be surprised if they do anything to help with this, although they should, its obviously inferior materials being used. I have contacted Heartland and sent them pictures of it. I contacted a RV repair facility yesterday and he said it would cost in the range of $1600.00 dollars to replace. I'll live with it before I spend that much or do it myself. I'll try and add pictures here if I can figure out how. If they don't take care of it it will make for some pretty poor advertising. I haven't been out in it much the last two years but I belong to several large gold prospecting clubs that I go to there outings all the time, up until two years ago, and plan on attending several a year again. You can bet if they don't step up with this I will not promote this trailer manufacturer and certainly will not buy another product from Heartland. I figured out the pictures and hear are a couple of them.

tn6.jpegtn7.jpeg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wow, that definitely doesn't look like water damage. I would think Heartland would have to do something.

Back in 09 we had a fist-sized bubble form on our front cap of the NT,but we were under warranty and HL replaced the entire cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger
Ya its bad, the pictures don't show even half of the bubbles you can see with the eye. After reading the extended warranty I don't think that will cover it either as it appears that it only covers the mechanical things on the trailer. I think they should cover it, this should not happen to a two year old trailer. I think its from a poorly manufactured laminate board. I think it had moister trapped in it during manufacturing and with the heat from the sun has caused the gases from evaporation to expand and separate the fiberglass from the fiberboard under it. Its definitely not from a leak. I have looked over the roof with a magnifying glass and there are no signs of any cracking of the rubber liner or caulking. There are no signs of water in the trailer anywhere. I certainly don't have the money to spend on this with all the major projects I have going with the house.

Well just got an e-mail from Mr Roberts at Heartland and he basically said so sorry its out of warranty for a year so we will not help out. The extended warranty does not cover anything other than the mechanical and appliances. Just plain lousy quality in the materials and they know about it and won't step up to help. Pretty lousy customer service if you ask me. It will be the last Heartland product I buy!

Well the frustration continues. I contacted by phone customer service at heartland manufacturing and talked to Eric. Got the same response, sorry but we cannot help with this because its out of warranty. They won't even meet me half way. I offered to do the install myself if they supplied the materials. Response was you can purchase the materials and decals from us if you would like to repair it yourself but we won't provide the materials for free. I ended the phone call very politely, that was hard to do, and informed him that I was sorry there customer service is so poor and they just lost me as a future customer. They obviously don't care. Now the only question that remains is do I spend a $1000.00 and replace the panel or trade it in on something other than a heartland manufactured trailer and take a huge hit in the wallet.

guyc66

That delamination sure is extensive......who would have ever thought a 2 yr old camper could do that? Years back I saw on another forum where a guy repaired his delam by drilling several holes in the fiberglass and squeezed construction adhesive through the holes, applied pressure for a day or so by parking his camper next to a tree and used some boards and a jack, and finally repaired the holes in the fiberglass followed up by some touch-up paint. It turned out great, but I'm not sure yours can be fixed that way due to the location, size, and number of bubbles. Like you said, replacing the entire panel may be the best option. If it were mine I think I would use the $1600 to buy a lot of beer to help me wash down my disgust at the lack of quality workmanship and live with it until I got my money's worth out of the camper. Either way I hope you can get this resolved to your satisfaction so you can get back to enjoying camping again. Best of luck!

Guyc66
I cannot believe they wouldn't even meet me half way and offer the materials. This delam didn't happen in the last month its been happening all through the last year and it wasn't discovered because I had it covered during the winter ending in 2011 and all through 2012 until three days ago. Its going to get worse, its not a structural problem yet but as it gets worse it will be. Ironically I put the tarp on it to keep this very thing from happening. They know this is a problem because its all over every RV internet forum out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

trypry5

Thanks everyone for the info I have a heartland Sundance 2010 with some bubbles forming on the sides I will try contacting heartland but sounds like I am not going to have much luck.

Good luck, I wouldn't expect any help from them. They basically told me to go pound sand. I think their there customer service sucks and at the end of my very polite conversation with Eric I told him so.

Well I take back what I said, after further dialog we reached a mutual and satisfactory agreement on a repair.

Last edited:

GOTTOYS

Good luck, I wouldn't expect any help from them. They basically told me to go pound sand. I think their there customer service sucks and at the end of my very polite conversation with Eric I told him so.
I'm guessing you've pretty well ruled out any further chances of talking to a supervisor or manager and working with them for any help with your problem. Heartland has gone out of their way to help me and I can't say a bad thing about them...Maybe I'm just, ummmm lucky...Don

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think their there customer service sucks and at the end of my very polite conversation with Eric I told him so.
Never burn your bridges.

It is the owners responsibility to inspect and maintain their coach. In post #11 you said that it was covered for well over a year. Did you do regular inspections? Or any at all?
Although you covered your rig with a tarp to keep water out, you may have trapped moisture which was the opposite of your intentions when using the tarp.
Just a couple of thoughts here.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Hi Weshawkins,

I'm sorry you're having this problem. And I'm sure it's especially frustrating given that you've covered the trailer to protect it from the elements. We've had many past discussions on the forum over what Heartland Owners have experienced after warranty expires. Perhaps a recap might be helpful.

First of all, the bad news: during the warranty period, Heartland is obligated to fix problems, but afterward, they are not. The warranty covers all types of defects; minor and major. Even though many owners think there ought to be, there is no such thing as a longer warranty for more serious problems.

The good news: as many of us have found, Heartland often does make post-warranty accommodations to maintain goodwill. The vast majority of Heartland owners participating on this forum would agree that this is the case. Sadly, there are also a few owners who have been left dissatisfied.

Second, from my interpretation of prior posts, the likelihood of an accommodation often seems to depend on what the experts at Heartland think may have caused the problem. If they think it was caused by a materials problem, or a manufacturing error, and the problem is significant, my observation is that they usually take care of it. Some people have received help even several years after the warranty has expired. On the other hand, if they think the problem is due to a maintenance problem, my observation is that they're much, much less likely to help. I don't have any inside information on this; I'm just giving you my opinion based on reading many owner posts over the past couple of years.

So, knowing that Heartland will often make a post-warranty accommodation (even though they don't have to), and that they're more likely to do so when the problem was caused by a manufacturing defect, let me suggest that you contact Customer Service to try one more time.

I would suggest you ask what their experts think caused the problem. If the rep tells you he's not sure, ask if someone more familiar with this type of damage is available. You need to make sure that someone who knows the difference between manufacturing defects and maintenance issues has taken a close look at the pictures and has provided an expert opinion. Sometimes they will ask you to get the dealer to render an opinion after inspecting the damage.

If the experts think it's caused by a maintenance issue, you might ask them to comment on how this might have occurred given that you cover the trailer.

If they agree that it looks like it was caused by a materials problem or manufacturing defect, perhaps they'll change their mind and offer an accommodation in part or whole. If not, you might discuss that you've read where many times Heartland has helped out-of-warranty customers with this type of problem, and ask if there's a reason they wouldn't do the same for you.

I hope you find this helpful and I hope you're able to reach some agreement with Heartland, or if not, at least get a better understanding of how this happened and how to prevent additional damage.

Yes I do understand that I have a responsibility to maintain this RV and I have done so. I also have an expectation on a 1 to 2 year old RV that I have taken the initiative to cover not to have to inspect every week or month. I did entered the trailer at least once a month to inspect for water leakage and any tell tail signs of such which there was none. Had I seen any I would of pulled off the tarp and inspected further. When I, very politely, contacted Heartland with e-mails and over the phone there was no effort on their part to understand my problem even when pictures where sent to them. There response was sorry its out of warranty we can't help you, period. I even asked was there no meeting me half way, could they provide the materials and I would replace the panel myself, no sorry its out of warranty. From talking to 4 different RV facilities, two of them dealers, that I have been to this is an industry wide problem that has been a problem since the early to mid 2000's. Every facility I entered had RV's in there for the very same problem. One facility said they received one right off the hauler that had separation occurring. This is not, from what I have been told, due to moister from any leak and I cannot find a leak anywhere on this trailer,believe me I have looked. Water hose up on the roof for over an hour. This is from a poorly manufactured fiberglass laminated board where the glue fails due to heat and gases off under the fiberglass causing the bubbles and separation. This is a product liability issue were there is a reasonable expectation of a product lasting well past any warranty period. How many of you expect a one or two year old RV to have the exterior walls start to delaminate. This is the same type of product liability issue that fell on General Motors and Chrysler back in the early to mid 90's with the paint pealing off there cars and truck, I know, I had one and they took care of it no question asked and it was five years old at the time the paint started to peal off.
Yes I do plan on continuing my dialog with management at Heartland. I don't feel voicing my opinion about their customer service is burning down bridges. What happened to the old saying, the customer is always right. I plan on trying to work with them but I don't how far I should have to go to work with them. Offering for them to provide the materials and I would provide the labor I think is a pretty good halfway point. I don't think the "experts" at heartland even consider thinking about my problem. They didn't even offer up a tube of caulking. I have worked in the auto industry for most of my 56 years and I have never treated a customer so bluntly.

I would like to say that I am back on board with Heartland and am a happy camper once again. After further contacts with customer service we have come to a mutual agreement on repairing my North Trail TT. I want to thank the people at Heartland for doing this and thank the folks here on this forum for providing the names of those to communicate with at Heartland.
Thanks Heartland and everyone here on the forum!!

Wes Hawkins

guyc66

I would like to say that I am back on board with Heartland and am a happy camper once again. After further contacts with customer service we have come to a mutual agreement on repairing my North Trail TT. I want to thank the people at Heartland for doing this and thank the folks here on this forum for providing the names of those to communicate with at Heartland.
Thanks Heartland and everyone here on the forum!!

Wes Hawkins

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. It's good to hear that Heartland came through again and validated why they have such a high customer satisfaction rating. Hopefully I will never have to go through something like this, but it is nice to know that this is a company who treats people fair. Congrats and give us another update (with pics) when your repairs are completed.

Guy

I will do that. I see your from Tennessee, what part? I have a Sister in Law that lives in Murfreesburo a my Father and Mother in Law live in Lebanon.

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. It's good to hear that Heartland came through again and validated why they have such a high customer satisfaction rating. Hopefully I will never have to go through something like this, but it is nice to know that this is a company who treats people fair. Congrats and give us another update (with pics) when your repairs are completed.

Guy