B&W Hitch Question ??

I believe I have narrowed my choices down to two hitches. The B&W companion and the Curt 20k. I usually trade trucks every 2 or 3 years and if I decided to buy the B&W, do they make a plug for the 4" hole that would be in the bed, if I removed the hitch to put it in another TV. And does anyone know how much the complete installed weight of the B&W hitch is? I can't seem to find a B&W website. Thanks, Jeff:)

nscaler2

Url for B&W

Don't know how much trouble it would be to remove the B&W from the truck. I own one and it is wonderfull. Hithces and unhitches easily, even on less than level ground. Here is the url for their web site.

http://www.turnoverball.com/
Tom Kneib

____
|TK|__^__^__I-
|463_______|
o O O O O o\\

jbeletti

Jeff,

Can't help you on the weights, but I can share what I ended up doing.

I planned to do a hitch upgrade this spring and had it down to the same two hitches - if by Curt 20k, you mean the Q5-20k.

I ended up going with the Curt Q5 for the higher trailer rating. My Landmark was 16k with a heavy pin (W/D, roll-out tray, satellite dish, full of stuff).

Had the Turnoverball had the same or better specs as the Q5, I would have strongly considered it.

Jim

Country

I just received and installed the Companion in my truck. I already had the Turn Over Ball, because I have a goose neck equipment trailer I pull. Anyway, the shipping weight on just the Companion was 205 lb. I don't know what the Turn Over weighed, but I would guess 150 lb or so.

The quality of the B&W is top notch. This is the 3rd truck I've had the Turn Over Ball in and have never had a problem with one. It's rated for 30,000 lb and I know I've pulled more with it. The Companion part is rated for 18,000 lb, but don't let that fool you. It's made very heavy duty. At the Hersey show I was talking to the B&W guy and he told me they've tested the Companion to over twice that rating and haven't had a problem. The owner of B&W is very safety minded and under rates to keep people safe. Another example of him being safety minded, is how they will not recommend the Sidewinder pin box. He was so worried about his customers safety he bought one and did a weeks worth of testing with it. Needless to say he didn't like what they found. I don't know of any other company that's done that and if it's not safe with B&W, how's it safe with any other brand of hitch? They're all not that different in design, for the most part....

Thanks to all for the fast responses. I ordered my 3400RL last friday, and I can't wait to try it out, but I have to get the truck ready!! I will be pulling it with an 2007 GMC 2500HD crew cab,D/A, 6'6" bed. I really like the benefits of the flat bed when using the turnoverball/companion hitch made by B&W. On the other hand I need to watch the weight issue closely. B&W's website claims the companion weighs 170#. They don't list the weight of the turnover ball. I agree with Countr'y post that it is probably in #125-#150 range bringing the total weight of the combined unit to well north of 300#.

The Curt/Five website claims a combined weight Q5-20K hitch is 121# but I don't believe this includes the rail/mounting kit, which would probably be another 40-50#. So I would estimate the total weight of the Curt hitch at 160# vs. 325# for the B&W setup. After seeing this comparison I will have to go with the Curt Q5-20K. After all we're talking half as much weight. I will have to say that I personally like the B&W setup better but life goes on!! I appreciate all of the feedback as always and if there is anything that I am overlooking let me know. Thanks again, JeffNone

Guys this is just an update on the hitch weights. I just talked to a Curt dealer and the shipping weight for the universal rail kit is 90#. So we are thinking that the net weight is in the 80-85# range. Add this to the advertised weight of the hitch (121#) and the combined weight of the hitch should be right around 200#, give or take very little. Just wanted to let everyone know what I found out. Jeff:)