BC woodwork

Does anyone know if one can order a BC with unfinished woodwork and cabinets. Not that enthused with the current dark color. Thanks.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
No sure about unfinished cabinets but I think you can choose from 2 different type of wood finishing. I would ask the dealer about this cuz they have a standard cabinetry or you can choose another color style. This was true when we ordered our Big Country but it wasn't published that there was a different color style, I just grumbled about the standard and the dealer said .... which we choose instead.

EandJ

That seems to be general trend these days that we noticed when shopping. It seems that all the manufacturers are going to darker woods on the inside.

I think the only thing that we both miss about our 06 Mallard is it was significantly "lighter" inside. We have the same number of windows in the living area. Actually they are larger in our Northtrail and are only missing a skylight in the living room. But the overall feeling much darker. I won't say gloomier - but the old duck was a very cheerful, camper on the inside.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
The lighter wood was the selling point for my wife and I to get our North trail. I agree on the light and cheery look that the lighter colors bring.

brianharrison

I would not order with unfinished cabinets - I would work through dealer to see if HL can stain/finish in a color that works for you and HL (ie stain that is in another HL product already).

Trying to finish woods after they are installed - works ok on wood, not so great on faux finish particle board. If I am not mistaken, BC has real wood doors/fronts, faux wood and finish on stiles, returns?

Brian

Thanks for the info Brian. I didn't realize that only the doors were real wood. If the rails and stiles are particle board, that could be the reason why so many people are having trouble with hinges pulling loose. Don't know why they wood use particle board. It is heavier than most woods and very sensitive to humidity changes.

brianharrison

KnightsWatch,

I am not 100% sure as well, but probably cost; but I do know HL is one of the manufactures that actually uses real wood at all - only when you get to the high end coaches do you get more wood, and sometimes that still does not get you real wood on the inside of the cabinet or returns. Heck, most household kitchen cabinets only started to have real wood on doors/fronts in the last 10 years - even then the insert panels were plywood, or veneered press board.

What is really funny to me - is some manufactures have even gone from veneer to "stick on pictures of wood grain" Like the old "Mac-Tac" faux wood.

Brian

EDIT: I stand corrected - MacTac is not old - they still sell faux wood sticky products - they have just augmented their product line with many "stick on products" ie graphics. MacTac US WebPage

Thanks for the info Brian. I didn't realize that only the doors were real wood. If the rails and stiles are particle board, that could be the reason why so many people are having trouble with hinges pulling loose. Don't know why they wood use particle board. It is heavier than most woods and very sensitive to humidity changes.

I talked with Heartland. The rails and stiles are not particle board, but rather lumber core plywood. As good, if not better as solid wood for attaching hinges. I am much more comfortable about the cabinetry now.

brianharrison

Sorry for misleading you - and thanks for updating my knowledge on material for cabinetry in HL products. My apologies. I should not have used "particle board" in my post.

Brian

Sorry for misleading you - and thanks for updating my knowledge on material for cabinetry in HL products. My apologies. I should not have used "particle board" in my post.

Brian

Not a problem. I actually thought I was the first one to use the term particle board. As long as that is not what they are using, all is good.