BC vs Gateway

brianharrison

Don't know for sure, but Gateway shows R23 and does not mentions laminated roof. Big County/Big Horn/Landmark are laminated roofs with R34. Laminated roofs are 5" block foam with aluminum frame sandwiched between roof material (now TPO) and internal luan (joints are sealed under pressure/vacuum?).

Gateway may have fibreglass bat insulation in roof - not sure - good question to ask HL Dealer and maybe HL - Jim B may be able to ask factory directly if he does not know off the top of his head, if he is floating around here......

Brian

jbeletti

Moving this thread out of the General Prospective Owners forum and into the Gateway Prospective Owners forum.

Bryan W will see it here and weigh in.

B

bwwalczak

The Big Country / Bighorn / Landmark use a foam block laminated roof. We calculate all the components for R - value.

The Gateway is an aluminum trussed roof to accomodate the "Cir-Q-Lair" air conditioning system. Gateway also uses extra reflective foil insulation in the roof and endwalls - not used in the Big Country / Bighorn / Landmark. We do not calculate the foil's individual R factor.

sengli

Also remember the BH has hydraulic front landing gear and slides. The gateway has the elkridge type framing (no dropped front cargo area), no rear fiberglass cap, and electric front gear and slides.

miboje

The Big Country / Bighorn / Landmark use a foam block laminated roof. We calculate all the components for R - value.

The Gateway is an aluminum trussed roof to accomodate the "Cir-Q-Lair" air conditioning system. Gateway also uses extra reflective foil insulation in the roof and endwalls - not used in the Big Country / Bighorn / Landmark. We do not calculate the foil's individual R factor.

So are you saying that the Gateway is better insulated than the BC? Also, I couldn't find any of the total R-values for the camper listed on the brochure. Can you tell me what they are, including information on how the slides are insulated? Thank you. :>)

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Gateway and Elkridge are built on the same line... vs ... Bighorn, Big Country, and Landmark built on the same line.

IMHO, the Gateway has some interior upgrades and features that push it towards the higher end. But the "bones" are probably closer to the Elkridge, geared for the occasional RVer rather than a full-timer.

Erika

kernst

The Gateway 3650BH has electric landing gear as stated, but the slides are hydraulic. I'm not sure if the hydraulic slides are specific to the 3650 or not, since it has 5 slides total. We were looking for a bunk house unit so I only looked at the 3650BH model. All 5 hydraulic slides on one switch, with no manifold on the pump for accessing a specific slide.

Also remember the BH has hydraulic front landing gear and slides. The gateway has the elkridge type framing (no dropped front cargo area), no rear fiberglass cap, and electric front gear and slides.