Solved: AC to DC Converter Fan constantly running

evolvingpowercat

When getting my camper ready for spring camping this year, the AC to DC converter fan was running constantly. Did not remember it doing that last year.

I discovered that when parking the camper in the driveway, I accidentally activated the trailer brake breakaway saftey switch when un-hooking, causing the brakes to be tied to the 12 volt battery. This causes about a 12 amp (160 watt) constant load. Apparently that amount of load on the 110 to 12 converter is enough to make the cooling fan in it to run continuously. It does not seem like the constant 40 watts of heat generation on each of the brake actuators has done any permanent harm to anything just cost me a few bucks worth of electricity.

So, if your AC to DC converter fan starts to run constantly and it normally does not for you, look for large 12 volt current draws and check your breakaway switch part with the saftey cable to see if it pulled out of the housing part attached to the trailer tongue when you last parked !

Last edited:

brianharrison

Posted and solved within 1 post - a new record :D.

I saw your post on the other thread mentioning breakaway as a large amp draw for Earl's dilemma. Good insight. Thanks.

Brian

porthole

Retired
That breakaway can easily be overheated and may now be bad. They are cheap, under $10 at many shops. I carry a spare, just in case.