Bathroom Was robbing to much heat!

SkyHawk

After camping in our trailer I knew after using it twice that I needed to do something about the sauna in the bathroom that is created when the furnace runs to heat up the trailer. The vent from the furnace to the bathroom is located right behind the toilet/floor level in this model and is seems to rob all the heat that we want in the living space. So one day I cut a hole and routed the vent to just below the fridge and have since solved the problem. The airflow is very strong in from this vent since it only travels 8 inches and has no turns in the ducting. Will post more pictures as soon as I can, I have one picture here that you can see the new vent installed under the fridge.

Attachments

• 1342741236133.jpg
    1342741236133.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 375

pegmikef

I had the same problem, but there was already a vent under the stove about two feet from where you put yours. I replaced all the heat vents with adjustable ones. Now I just reduce the air flow in the bathroom which forces more heat to the rest of the areas, but can increase when showering, etc. At night, we sometimes reduce it in all vents except the bedroom if it is really cold, but not often because we like it pretty cool (low sixties) when sleeping.

SkyHawk

Where did you get your adjustable ones from? That would be a good fix to for putting a little more heat to the bedroom area, and/or I can put a vent hose back the bathroom area since on the furnace there are 3 UN-used output holes for more ducting areas.

KaosAD

I had problems too but mine were due to 10ft hoses for 6ft runs. I shortened the furnace hoses and left enough to pull them out when needed. The hoses were bunched up and zip ties were squeezing the hoses to about half diameter. I also put metallic vent tape on the couplings where the hoses connected to the furnace, they were leaking like a sieve. I have great heat now except in the bedroom. The bedroom hose is behind the tub, I can see where it's being compressed but can't reach it. I just throw another comforter on the bed.

pegmikef

Where did you get your adjustable ones from? That would be a good fix to for putting a little more heat to the bedroom area, and/or I can put a vent hose back the bathroom area since on the furnace there are 3 UN-used output holes for more ducting areas.

I am on the road at a Heartland rally right now, but will be home next week. I'll go through my stuff and find out what the source was. They were cheap and rotated to direct the output like the OEM ones, but also have a control knob in the center the adjusts the output from full to anywhere to none. I will post it next week.

Miller0758

Home Depot sells various sizes and colors of adjustable floor diffusers ... take one with you and size it up.

rnewk52

Try to get a metal diffuser. We used a plastic one from Home Depot in our bathroom and it got hot enough to warp the directional fins and now it is not adjustable anymore. Haven't looked for a metal one yet, it's on the "list"

pegmikef

SkyHawk, I found the link for the adjustable vents and they're less than five bucks each. If your rig is similar to mine, the bedroom vent is only a two incher (face plate is four inches, but it is necked down to two inches for the duct) so check your your vents before you order them. This place sells both sizes. Good Luck. Mike

http://www.dwincorp.com/products/3/Rotaire-3840-R-4-heat-outlet-vent-w-damper

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The link Mike posted is to the people that supply HL with their vents. Good people to work with and I bought all my vents from them.

ParkIt

While we have a different model we have the same issue. On cold nights we close the door to the bath/bed room from the main living area then open the bathroom door so it kind of acts like a double wall to keep the heat up front. Between that and the one register in the floor in the bedroom it definitely keeps the chill off.
Looked around and can't run a vent anywhere else in the bedroom from the bathroom.

Very cool and thank you for the link!! We'll be ordering some for our trailer as our bunkroom is like a sauna and there are already 4 kids & a dog in there producing lots of heat!!

Garypowell

I'm not sure at which big box store but we bought a magnetic piece of material that is mean to simply "stick" to a floor vent. We normally leave 2 fins exposed towards the wall. Probably looks a little cheesier than an official vent.....but it works.

happykraut

I have also used the magnetic material and has worked great for me. For more airflow I have added aluminum 90* elbows on my last fiver and cut off some of the extra flex ducting. I have also added a round vent onto the vertical surface of the bedroom steps and ran ducting to it. Just a few ideas.

ZNK

I wish they sold the brown colored ones... I need one of these for my bathroom too. Would like to keep that one closed at night, so the rest of the coach stays warmer.

SkyHawk, I found the link for the adjustable vents and they're less than five bucks each. If your rig is similar to mine, the bedroom vent is only a two incher (face plate is four inches, but it is necked down to two inches for the duct) so check your your vents before you order them. This place sells both sizes. Good Luck. Mike

http://www.dwincorp.com/products/3/Rotaire-3840-R-4-heat-outlet-vent-w-damper

ZNK

Scratch that.. it looks like they do sell them. I am wondering with color I have in mine... is it beige? Or is it walnut?