Is there a "How to Use/Operate - Features" Section on the Forum Itself???

wdk450

Anybody:
I have recently lost postings while composing them due to the high useage problems on the forum. I know that my typing was "AutoSaved" but could not remember how to call this up. A forum search on "Auto Save" yielded too many posts off the subject I was interested in to find out what I needed.
I really feel for the "newbies" who come on to this fabulous forum and don't know how to access all of the great stored info through searches, the stuff in the "Tools" tab, etc. With as many posts as I have made over through the years, I still have occasional problems. Do we have a searchable "Operators Manual" for the forum??? I couldn't find even a forum thread area specifically on using the forum. This area is as close as I could come.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bill, I've had the same problem with the auto save. the few times I've needed it, I never was able to make use of it.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Bill.
I have never been able to figure it out either and I know this has been asked before. I don't recall a satisfactory answer.

After I formulate a post, I will highlight and save it (Cut and paste style) before I try to send it. That way all is not lost if the forum hangs up, or dumps me.

It just did the same thing while trying to post this. Still getting server too busy with regularity. Trace

pegmikef

That has happened to me a couple of times and I found no overt way to retrieve it, but when I reentered the thread started to repost the reply. after a minute or so a box appeared in the lower left of the quick reply screen prompting to use the saved text. I clickied on it and it did in fact fill in the text . . . but, be advised it replaces any text you may have entered before you notice the prompt since these is a slight time lag.

wdk450

That has happened to me a couple of times and I found no overt way to retrieve it, but when I reentered the thread started to repost the reply. after a minute or so a box appeared in the lower left of the quick reply screen prompting to use the saved text. I clickied on it and it did in fact fill in the text . . . but, be advised it replaces any text you may have entered before you notice the prompt since these is a slight time lag.

Thanks Peg/Mike!!!

wdk450

Gang:
I e-mailed Jim B. about where to find the Forum "Owner's Manual" and learned that it is in the "FAQ" tab on the Forum pages. Click on FAQ, then the 3rd section listed "Board FAQ" which has 3 sub menus under that, with many topics in each submenu. The AutoSave feature is not covered there, from what I could find, though.

Thanks Jim B. for showing me to the right path!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
When the page that was autosaved is reloaded a line in the lower left corner of the frame of the textbox will indicate "Restore auto-saved content" Click on it. Any text in the box will be cleared and the auto-saved content will replace it.

jbeletti

It worked!

I typed in a bunch of junk into a reply to this thread, let it auto-save, them I waited. Nothing. Then I clicked the Go Advanced button. Boom - this appeared:

Google ChromeScreenSnapz086.jpg

I clicked it once - nothing. Clicked it a second time and viola - my text reappeared.

Thanks for helping us figure this out. The forum software is something we did not create ourselves. We know it pretty darn well, but there are some nuances that we've never explored.

Jim

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
It also works if you close the browser window after an auto-save and then go back to the same thread and start a reply. The Restore auto-save button will appear pretty quickly, No real need to click the go advanced button except it does reload the page with more editing tools.