New 5er and truck

Snow

New to heartland 5er and ford ,I'm picking her up Monday caint wait its been the longest week of my life ,just wondering about my set up here's what I got 2013 250 6.7 with a b&w companion hitch and 2013 big country 3650 rl around 12000 lbs empty gross is 15000 lbs I don't think I'll go over 14000 is this setup going to be ok ,I'm just a weekend camper with the longest trip around 200 miles or so mostly under 100 miles a year 8 to 10 times , thanks and wish me luck .PS was pulling travel trailer 35ft long any advice ??thanks again ⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄

brianharrison

Congrats. Set up is fine; not much to do now except work with what you got.

As mentioned with other threads, consider air bag spring helpers (Firestone ride rite, others) if you feel they are needed to help your towing experience.

You will find backing in a 40ft 5th wheel is different than a 35ft travel trailer (I think it is easier, but it's what you are used to....).

Advice - don't let anyone else hook up your coach - make sure you are the one who performs all the steps and can verify by yourself when you pull away that king pin hitch is locked in, safety breakaway attached, legs up, wheel chocks removed, 7way connected, etc. Always walk around the rig the long way to get back into the drivers seat before you take off. And look up too to make sure clearance is noted.....

Brian

Snow

Thanks Brian ,I'll pull it home which is about 100 miles , and see how it goes I guess the air bag helps keep everything level ?, It's going to be along weekend ⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄

waldo238

Another thing that I did when I got mine home and un hooked was painted the jaws white so you can really see that they are locked and put a pin catcher and the hitch just to bee safe, if that thing comes loose it will crush youre bed.

MdMike

I pull an Elkridge 5th wheel 34 ft in length about 11000 lbs loaded... 3/4 ton dodge ram with 6.7 cummins. I added the Load Rite air bags (no air pump) to level and dampen the bounce on some road ways. Like you I am a weekend camper.... The bags are Loadrite 5000 and my truck rides sooooo much better with them. You wil know when you get your rig moving on the initial ride home!