Canadian Proof of Insurance?

Lou_and_Bette

We are planning to visit Canada after leaving the National Rally and I called my insurance provider, Good Sam's RV insurance underwirtten by GMAC, and the representative indicated they would send me Candian Proof of Insurance cards for my truck but not for the 5'r since they only issue them for vechicles that require Liability insurance coverage. Will this cause me any problems? On the policy declerations sheet, it shows I have full coverage on the 5'r.

jnbhobe

I have only ever been given a Candian Ins card for the truck not the trailer. The last time I was there I didn't even take a special card.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Liability extends to your trailer when hooked up to your truck incase of property damage to others caused by your trailer.

brianharrison

Liability extends to your trailer when hooked up to your truck incase of property damage to others caused by your trailer.

Very correct - Liability on your trailer only comes into play when others may seek damage compensation when your trailer causes damage while NOT hooked up to your truck (ie wind blows off satellite dish and bonks the neighbor on the head while she suntans in the hurricane).

In Canada, law requires this proof of this liability insurance when requested by a Peace Officer (cop), or when accident reports are filed out. We do not carry a Certificate of title component; proof of ownership (also required to be surrendered when asked by a Peace Officer) is carried with a Registration Card.

I am not a lawyer, nor Canadian Motor Vehicle Act expert, so others may correct or augment my thoughts.....

Brian

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have had a Canadian ID card when we went to PEI and Novia Scotia.

I just requested one from my insurance agent via chat. You only need liability on your truck... as said above the liability for your trailer is when it is connected to your truck.

One think I found out.... My insurance is for 6 month intervals. My insurance is renewed March 1 and Sept 1. If I am in Canada after August I will need a new card. I fulltime. My mail goes to Livingston TX. I have never had to have mail sent to me in Canada. I can probably get it sent there if I am in a campground that will accept it. I know I can download a temporary US Proof of insurance, but they will only fax it because it is made out manually. I asked if they could scan the card to PDF form and email it to me or store it online where I can access it.. They said no... I will be calling the main office next week and see if they can do a little better...

Anyone have this problem... My insurance is Progressive..

BC

BTW... we are heading there after Goshin also.. Plan to go to Calgary, Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise, Vancover then back into Washington state..

aatauses

Ours is with National Interstate and they give one for the truck and one for the rv. When traveling into CN we show them both and have no issues. Also, if you plan to bring firearms through CN be sure to fill out the paperwork & follow the rules---no issue, just have it with you as they will ask.
al
currently in Kenai, AK