Newbie asking advice on truck match-up

In the near future we will be purchasing a new BC 3251, so we are now
searching for a truck to match with it. Specs on the 5er are:

GVRW 14000
Dry weight 11000
Hitch weight 1920

Wanting to get something in the 2008-2012 range.

I am confident that any of the big 3 make a truck that can handle this rig
easily. My questions are, for each make, is there any one year that was a big
improvement over the previous year (like I think Ford made a step up in
transmission in 2012), and is there any year model that we should avoid because
of significant problems. Recommendations will be appreciated, but I don't want
to start manufacturer war. I do want to have 20-25% above minimum requirements
without having to make any modifications to the truck. Thanks for sharing your
expertise.

AARnSAN

Well being a GM guy I would suggest a Chevy or GMC 2500hd or 3500 series truck for sure will a Duramax and Allison combo you cant beat it!! Stay away from the fords esp. with the 6.0's to many issues. The new dodges are nice and cummins makes a great engine.

Well being a GM guy I would advise you to get at Chevy/GMC 2500hd or 3500. It all depends on what do you want a gas motor or diesel. which your almost going towards a diesel truck with the size of you 5er. Do you want a single rear wheel truck or dually, is it going to be a everyday driver or just for hauling camper? there is a lot to think about and consider.

Last edited by a moderator:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Any of the big 3 will work.....you will need a F-350 or 1 ton to meet your needs. 4x4 is a plus. If a Ford is to your liking look for a 2011 or newer.

Why is a 4x4 a plus? How much of a drop off on fuel mileage should one expect going with a 4x4. I ask that because that is about all I have been able to find.

Milton_and_PeggySue

We have the 2013 BC 3251 TS and are pulling it with a 2004 F-350, 4x4, 6.0, 3.73 gr. We are having no problems whatsoever pulling it. The dry weight of your coach will more than likely be more than 11000 lbs. Ours is 12137 lbs dry due to the options on it. We haven't had it weighed since we packed it but I would guess that it weighs about 13200 lbs. Make sure to read my post on the Big Country Modifications blog.

gebills

Hi KnightsWatch: You are certain to receive many varied opinions regardless of the range of people you ask this question of. On this forum however, everyone pretty well keeps their brand-specific opinions to themselves. I would suggest that, after you have classified a certain range of truck (i.e. a 2500/F250, 3500/F350 or even something more heavy duty as elidgible to carry you specific weights, you will also be considering engines, transmissions and differential ratios. It appears that a 2500/F250 might carry your load, however you need to consider what you will be putting in the 5'er as you prepart to pull/travel. Consider your pin weight in the back of your truck, i.e. if you have a payload capacity of 2200 lbs in the 2500/250, by the time you put your hitch in the back of the truck, fill it with fuel, passenger weight, load your 5'er up for travel with all your camping necsssities and water in the water tanks, your gettin' kind of heavy. Two very important considerations are your GCVW and your rear axle weight with the pin weight included.

I made the costly mistake of buying a new truck, only to find out that the 5'er we chose was too heavy for it. Back to the dealer, somewhat embarassed, plus another 10-grand in my pocket, I traded in a one year old 2500 for a new 3500. That was simply due to my miscalculation about the payload capacity I would need. Consider your weights carefully.

Many people, as well as myself will suggest to you that diesel, or maybe diesel are your only two considerations. I chose diesel both times. If you are pulling out to the lake for weekend camping, you can do it with gas. If your planning on towing distances (i.e. 500+ miles at a stretch), you will be pleased with the diesel option. Can you tow with gas? Yes. Will you be happier with diesel? Yes. I would suggest that you find something equipped with an exhaust brake. It will make your life easier.

I would suggest a set of air-bags under the back end of a 2500/F250 or 3500/F350. Putting a few pounds in the air bags will allow you to keep all things level, as they should be. Will the 2500's and 3500's carry your weight; likely, but the air bags will keep you level.

Transmissions; some tow with a standard transmission. Personally, the automatic transmission is a no-brainer for me. Effortless travel / no shifting and absolutely no problems. I've been using a 3:73 ratio rear end and have been getting by fine. Some prefer a 4:10 ratio at the loss of some fuel economy, but easily more capable towing capacity should you need it. The bottom line is do your home work, read the forums and make a selection. Just don't underestimate what weight you will need to carry. Good luck with your decision.

MTPockets

Your requirement leaves the only choice to be a dual rear wheel F350, or 3500 Ram or Chevy/GMC. You should figure on the 14,000 and 1920 pin weight. You will also have to figure passengers, fuel, hitch weight, etc. to the truck payload. Add to that your minimum requirement and you're for sure in the dually range. Even without your minimum, you would be very close to being over. You're smart for checking this out before you buy.. Good shopping.

jnbhobe

Why is a 4x4 a plus? How much of a drop off on fuel mileage should one expect going with a 4x4. I ask that because that is about all I have been able to find.

The loss of a bit of fuel mileage will be nothing when your sitting in wet grass and stuck in the mud. I haven;t had a 4X2 since 1978.

Jon............I gather you boondock quite a bit. We really don't plan on that right now, but maybe we will decide that we want to. Will consider 4x4

FiremanBill

The loss of a bit of fuel mileage will be nothing when your sitting in wet grass and stuck in the mud. I haven;t had a 4X2 since 1978.

Amen to that! I have a 2004 F250 6.0 2x4... for now. As soon as the budget allows we are trading up and getting a 4x4. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck, the motor that is in it and everything else about it.

But my old Trail vision weighed in at 9k and I would have to get my sons Dakota and hook up to my truck with a tow strap to pull my truck and the 5er out of our FLAT backyard if it was wet. I don't dream of putting my new Cyclone back there for fear of it raining! lol

Didn't think 4x4 was necessary, but you guys are starting to convince me. I currently have a 1983 F-250 that I used to use to tow my commercial fishing skiff around with. I remember now the times pulling it out of the water that I wish I had had 4WD.

mikeandconnie

I missed the pad on a rainy day in Myrtle Beach and buried one side of my 5er to the axials. Switching to 4x4 saved the day. Parking in my yard on wet grass or in the winter dew would not be possible without it. I used it this winter not towing but just a day trip driving in the mountain snow on I5 and I80.

The earlier Fords have a small fuel tank, "I think 26 gallons". I would try to find a truck with 36-38 gallon tank and still even add a Aux Tank.

Yes, I found out the hard way with the 26 gallon tank. We had a bad head wind and ran out 4 miles to the planed exit.

sengli

On the Chevy /GMC you should look for one that is 2011 or older, so you can get the exhaust brake feature on the duramax diesel equipped trucks. That feature is very handy when trying to slow down, and stop a fully loaded rig. I have a 3500HD dually.

jnbhobe

Jon............I gather you boondock quite a bit. We really don't plan on that right now, but maybe we will decide that we want to. Will consider 4x4

Yes I do boondock at my place in the National Forest but I have never been stuck there and I do use 4X4 to park. But I have had to get my other truck out when I stuck the rig in the yard and at a couple of commerical campgrounds.

blong

I think Sengli meant to say 2011 or newer for a GM Diesel, in 11 they added the exhaust brake, more horsepower, quieter, and the frame is a lot stronger. I also would recommend air bags for the truck for whatever you buy. We are pushing 3.5k pin weight with our Cyclone so went with a dually but we really got for the safety of 4 wheels handling the weight and the stability. Once you go dually you won't look back...Mine is a daily driver and I love it.... just don't take it to malls Christmas shopping. LOL

Theresau

Joe will tell you that the 2007 Chevy/GMC Classics were the best year for GM diesel trucks. Later models have taller bed walls and restrictions on the diesel motor. (As you know we will be towing a 3251 TS :))

scottyb

Didn'tthink 4x4 was necessary, but you guys are starting to convince me. I currentlyhave a 1983 F-250 that I used to use to tow my commercial fishing skiff aroundwith. I remember now the times pulling it out of the water that I wish I hadhad 4WD.

I have found that you will get most if not all your money back on a 4WD at re-sale. Especially if you sell it yourself. They are in much higher demand than 2WD, at least around here. The fuel mileage difference is negligible. Better to have it and not need it than ……………..

travis_g

Even a 4x4 dually can get stuck. Lync levelers make great traction improvers. Don't ask me how I know.
Sent from my Lumia 920 Windows Phone 8 using Board Express

DW_Gray

KnightsWatch, welcome to the forum and I applaud you for doing the right thing by asking these important questions first. In addition to what has been said, consider using the free web-based Before You Buy RV app. It will help ensure you are getting the correct match.

whanner

Any 2011 or newer 350/3500 diesel will more than pull pull your 5th wheel...they are all AWESOME trucks. they mane thing for me to consider is which one is more comfortable. I have a 2006 F350 Lariat 4X4 dually so I can only give you the perks of the Ford. We are very happy with it for these reasons. looks good, body and trim fitment, cab noise while on the highway, seat comfort, A/C is strong while pulling (live in Texas) Tow/Haul in the mountains is priceless. Ford transmissions are every bit as good as the Allison. As for the dually, We just took a short trip to Winstar in OK and had head winds of 25 + MPH and the truck was very stable (one hand driving with confidence) I also noticed when 18 wheelers were passing us, the truck was never pushed over or sucked in toward the 18 Wheeler it held its path. I heard one of the new Dodges will pull 30,000 lbs...that will more than handle just about anything. One major thing I would require of my new truck is the engine or exhaust brake like the Tow/Haul on the Ford or the Allison from GM....not sure what Dodge offers. I do know its priceless in Colorado, our friends have a 06 2500 Dodge and they have brake issues every year because the truck doesn't have the engine brake. My 2 cents worth is, Get a 4X4 diesel with dually, engine brake and brand that is comfortable to you and you'll never look back :)