"ANOTHER" 17.5 tire post

Rodbuster

Good morning,
Lately, there have been several posts discussing the upgrade from the Goodyear G614 to the Goodyear 17.5 G114,

The 4 tires on my Key Largo are starting to show wear on the outside edge. They have approx. 18,000 miles on them. We are planning a trip this summer that will add an additional 5,000 miles on the tires. My thoughts are that I will be safe for my upcomming trip but I would like to be prepared with the proper information in case I have a tire failure.

My questions are:
1) How many miles should anyone expect to put on a set of Goodyear G614's (with RV within weight limits)?

2) I've heard that people have purchased these 17.5 tires from out of state. Where would you suggest I get the best deal on these tires? Do you have a contact person?

3) Can I purchase the tires and wheels from the same people?

4) Will they balance them for me?

5) Will they ship them to wherever I'm located? How does that work?

6) If I should be at a campground and I need to have 4 tires and wheels sent to me, what would you suggest that I do with the tires and wheels that I take off my rig?

7) When people upgrade to the 17.5 tires, what do they do or how do they handle the 16" spare tire?

8) In my first question I asked about life expectancy of the G614'S.....what would be the average life expectancy for the Goodyear 17.5 G114's?

I realize that it would take alot of time to answer "all" of my questions but if enough people peck away at information that they are familiar with, I'll get all my questions answered.

I thank you for taking the time.
Dick

danemayer

Hi Dick,

I'm not sure enough people have enough G114 experience at this point to give definitive answers on all your questions.

There was a post recently about expecting G614s to last up to about 30k miles and perhaps 5 years. Ours have about 28K and still have some tread depth, but I can see the end is probably going to be in the low 30s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

marvmarcy

G614s look worn on the outside edges when new, but that is the way they are made. You may already know that and have additional wear showing. I have heard about Trailer Tires and Wheels on other forums. They seem to be reputable. If you keep the original axles, TT&W has a wheel that fits the bolt pattern and configuration. I would keep the original 16" spare unless you can spend another $500. The 17.5 wheel and tire are nearly the same diameter as the 16". You still will have the same axle rating, but you don't have the worries about blowouts and tread separation.

porthole

Retired
2) I've heard that people have purchased these 17.5 tires from out of state. Where would you suggest I get the best deal on these tires? Do you have a contact person?

3) Can I purchase the tires and wheels from the same people?

4) Will they balance them for me?

5) Will they ship them to wherever I'm located? How does that work?

6) If I should be at a campground and I need to have 4 tires and wheels sent to me, what would you suggest that I do with the tires and wheels that I take off my rig?

7) When people upgrade to the 17.5 tires, what do they do or how do they handle the 16" spare tire?

8) In my first question I asked about life expectancy of the G614'S.....what would be the average life expectancy for the Goodyear 17.5 G114's?

I realize that it would take alot of time to answer "all" of my questions but if enough people peck away at information that they are familiar with, I'll get all my questions answered.

2) Trailer Tire and wheels, top nothc customer service, fair price. http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/ Scott is the man to speak with
3) Yes
4) Yes, they use a media type balancer, "Equal" was the brand with mine. Similar to Dyna beads
5) Right to your door
6) ? I kept mine, will go back on for a trade in. But I have a toy hauler to take care of that. I wouldn't doubt that Scott could arrange for shippingyour old stuff home if you decided.

7) I bought 5
8) I'm hoping - expecting at least 5 years, 5K a year

gebills

Hi Dick: Looks like you're getting lots of advice on your tire situation. If you mail-ordering tires, it appears as though the www.trailertiresandwheels.com site will be very competitive and, gives you the opportunity to do the mail-order thing if that is your preference. I was able to sell my old tires on Craigslist to a guy pulling a much lighter horse trailer.

When I replaced my trailer tires this past February, I started searching various web sites and forums for information. I came across the web site http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTrailerTireFacts.dos for Discount Tire. I thought it had good information to live by for trailer tires. Maybe you'll find it useful. Happy Trails, gebills

lwmcguir

Regarding spares, you can safely run your G614 as a spare with your 17.5 for quite a few miles. Done this for years. We hand down the tires from heaver to lighter trailers and have some 17.5's that are at least 20 years old. They are really weather checked but still function well.

Rodbuster

G614s look worn on the outside edges when new, but that is the way they are made. You may already know that and have additional wear showing. I have heard about Trailer Tires and Wheels on other forums. They seem to be reputable. If you keep the original axles, TT&W has a wheel that fits the bolt pattern and configuration. I would keep the original 16" spare unless you can spend another $500. The 17.5 wheel and tire are nearly the same diameter as the 16". You still will have the same axle rating, but you don't have the worries about blowouts and tread separation.

Marv, I thank you for your reply.
Please understand that I'm not saying that you are wrong, I'm just saying that I was not aware that the G614s "are made" like that and I have never heard of anybody else ever making that statement. Actually, if that statement is accurate, it would make me feel alot safer in planning this summers trip. All my tires show a slight "cup" across (not along) the tread on the outside edge. Would anybody else like to comment on this outside edge wear?

Post#2 Thank you Jon. After reading all the posts, it seems like "trailertiresandwheels" is the direction I should take.
Post#3 Hi Dan, I guess I would have to agree with you. We'll have to get a few more miles on the 17.5s before we can expect anybody to critique them accurately.
Post#4 Thank you Marv for taking the time. All information is good.
Post#5 Duane, you loaded me up with all kinds of great information, and some of it based on personal experience. This will help me alot. Thank you.
Post#6 Another helpful website. I'll be going there right after this post. Glenn, thank you for the tip.
Post#7 Any information is usually helpful but information gained from personal experience is gold. "lumcguir", thank you for sharing your experiences with your spare tires.

I thank everybody for taking the time to respond.
Dick

Last edited:

lwmcguir

Marv, I thank you for your reply.
Please understand that I'm not saying that you are wrong, I'm just saying that I was not aware that the G614s "are made" like that and I have never heard of anybody else ever making that statement. Actually, if that statement is accurate, it would make me feel alot safer in planning this summers trip. All my tires show a slight "cup" across (not along) the thread on the outside edge. Would anybody else like to comment on this outside edge wear?

Post#2 Thank you Jon. After reading all the posts, it seems like "trailertiresandwheels" is the direction I should take.
Post#3 Hi Dan, I guess I would have to agree with you. We'll have to get a few more miles on the 17.5s before we can expect anybody to critique them accurately.
Post#4 Thank you Marv for taking the time. All information is good.
Post#5 Duane, you loaded me up with all kinds of great information, and some of it based on personal experience. This will help me alot. Thank you.
Post#6 Another helpful website. I'll be going there right after this post. Glenn, thank you for the tip.
Post#7 Any information is usually helpful but information gained from personal experience is gold. "lumcguir", thank you for sharing your experiences with your spare tires.

I thank everybody for taking the time to respond.
Dick
We have never had a G614 wear uneven unless the trailer needed aligned.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The outer ribs on both sides of the G614s are smooth (no tread design) even when new. However, they should not be cupping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

I have never had any cupping on a 614 but I did loose a tread on one and ruined one with a bolt thru the sidewall. I always keep them balanced too.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I had the tread come off one of my G614's causing the tire to rapidly deflate. The tread flying off caused $4200 damage to the RV. I filed a claim with Goodyear and they reimbursed me the $4200 and the price of a new G614. How many other tire companies do that? I am due for a new set as mine are 3 years old (even though they have plenty of tread left) and I am more than likely going to go with the 17.5 wheels and Goodyear 114 tire. BTW the outside edges of all of the 614's are smooth and appear to be wearing on the outside even though they are properly inflated. I think they just wear that way.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dick, you may have noticed my thread regarding my G614 failures. My tires were dated mid 2007. purchased 4/2008 and had close to 30,000 miles usage. I feel the reason for the blow was a bad pothole because both were on the same side and within 12 miles from the 1st to the 2nd tire failure. My G614s did not have uneven tread when new but after about 3 years they showed more wear on the outer edges of the tires. Alignment? Maybe. I had the tires reversed on the wheels 2 years ago. Hind sight may dictate this to be the cause of the problems? Not sure about that. They should be non directional.
Anyway, I would expect you should get similar life out of the G114's with increased capacity.

Rodbuster

I thank everybody for replying to the post. Alot of great information to help me (or anybody) make the right decision.
Kinda wish more people would express their tire life expectancy in miles instead of years....but then, I'm sure everybody doesn't keep track of how many miles they travel with the RV hooked up.

Thanks again,
Dick

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I thank everybody for replying to the post. Alot of great information to help me (or anybody) make the right decision.
Kinda wish more people would express their tire life expectancy in miles instead of years....but then, I'm sure everybody doesn't keep track of how many miles they travel with the RV hooked up.

Thanks again,
Dick
I love that my 2012 Ford has a function that tracks the mileage of the trailer being connected. It's in the Truck apps of the information center.

mobilcastle

Anyone out their that wants an alternative to G14's look at these. http://simpletire.com/sailun-235-85r16-8244393-tires i have these on my rig and they are excellent.

The following is from RV.net "Well, that could get ugly, BUT, if they are going to follow the TS16969 criterium along with QS14001 quality processes, I can't see them doing any big changes for the bad, without losing credibility with the auditors involed in all the Quality and training aspects of achieving the alcolades in quality that they have, "as of now.

Though the last statement you posted does tend to make me wonder..

Now, all that to say this, "IF" Sailun is as into Quality as their website shows they are, meeting 3 very strick manufacturing process audits, we may have a Chinese tire manufacturer heading in the right direction when it comes to manufacturing a decent, reliable, safe tire... We don't know that yet, but have several members in here that are using them and can keep us posted on how they handld and last. I'm really looking more at the "G" rated tires that are being put on heavier 5er's with 7,000# axles and GVW's over 15,000#...

Not saying these tires are an alternative yet, but, if they have proof they've passed the criterium they've met in the manufacturing of their tires, it's the same criterium that we have to past in audits to keep our world wide Tier 1 Suppliers Status and prove to our customers, we're training our people and producing a quality product. THUS the main reason I'm giving them a "second look" for now...

I doubt you will see where Carlise or a lot of these Chinese tire manufacturers, who change the name of their tires more often than I change my socks have all these Quality audits and training processes set in place and have the credentials to prove it like Sailun does.

lwmcguir

Anyone out their that wants an alternative to G14's look at these. http://simpletire.com/sailun-235-85r16-8244393-tires i have these on my rig and they are excellent.

The following is from RV.net "Well, that could get ugly, BUT, if they are going to follow the TS16969 criterium along with QS14001 quality processes, I can't see them doing any big changes for the bad, without losing credibility with the auditors involed in all the Quality and training aspects of achieving the alcolades in quality that they have, "as of now.

Though the last statement you posted does tend to make me wonder..

Now, all that to say this, "IF" Sailun is as into Quality as their website shows they are, meeting 3 very strick manufacturing process audits, we may have a Chinese tire manufacturer heading in the right direction when it comes to manufacturing a decent, reliable, safe tire... We don't know that yet, but have several members in here that are using them and can keep us posted on how they handld and last. I'm really looking more at the "G" rated tires that are being put on heavier 5er's with 7,000# axles and GVW's over 15,000#...

Not saying these tires are an alternative yet, but, if they have proof they've passed the criterium they've met in the manufacturing of their tires, it's the same criterium that we have to past in audits to keep our world wide Tier 1 Suppliers Status and prove to our customers, we're training our people and producing a quality product. THUS the main reason I'm giving them a "second look" for now...

I doubt you will see where Carlise or a lot of these Chinese tire manufacturers, who change the name of their tires more often than I change my socks have all these Quality audits and training processes set in place and have the credentials to prove it like Sailun does.
I had looked at these a couple of years ago. Local Dealer says they have no warranty.

mobilcastle

I always say each to his own but I can tell you I will buy these tires again in a minute when I need tires. Their seems to be alot of blowouts with the G14's although I think Goodyear makes good tires overall. I have not read about Sailon blowouts anywhere. Just another option IMHO. I am only a consumer-no connection to sailon.