Big Country 3250TS Generator connection

Tom Cobb

I have browsed all the generator forums and didn't see anything on this.....Where do you connect a generator in an RV that does not have the prep kit installed?

I am thinking about installing a generator in the front compartment (Not the basement storage) or perhaps on a mount on the rear bumper. If I got to the bumper I can just plug in with the RV cord but the front would mean a long cord or connecting to the internal wiring. I cannot located a wiring diagram so have no idea where the correct wiring is and how to connect it to the generator.

GOTTOYS

Installing it in the front compartment is inviting disaster. You will need a way to exhaust the fumes away from the trailer and a way to provide air to cool the genny. Mounting it in the truck or on the rear of the trailer is much better idea. Then all you need to do is plug an extension cord into it...Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I carry a genset in the truck and leave it there. I installed a plug on the front and wired it into a double 30 amp breaker that I installed in an open slot. I made a 10-4 extention cord to go from the truck to the front of the trailer. Installing a genset in a storage compartment could mean "DEATH".

Tom Cobb

What you guys said is something I was concerned about but had no answer to so I asked for others thoughts. Carrying it in the truck or back bumper were my logical thoughts and plugging the trailer in to the generator. I have been somewhat skeptical about put the gen in the truck since I had one stolen out of my truck about 3 months ago. I had a Champion 4000/3500 remote start. It had a lock and cable on it and they cut the lock. It was a regular padlock but will not do that again. I will have to find something more secure. THANKS FOR YOU INPUT.

wdk450

For keeping your generator in your truck, look on the internet for a "Motorcycle lock and chain" The chain should have links made of square, forged, high-strength steel. The lock should be as high security as possible, with as little shackle exposed as possible. That's what I have my generator chained to my 5th wheel hitch with for a couple of years now. My locking solution cost over $50 a couple of years ago, but I think it is a good deterrent. I also upgraded the carry bars on the generator to make it harder to saw them, and keep the generator covered (I cut a chain access slit in the cover).

GOTTOYS

Them Champions aren't any lightweight. Put it up in the front of the box between the hitch and the cab. You could try a heavier chain but with them cordless portable cut-off wheels, there isn't any lock that will stop them. Gone in 60 seconds, but at least they would have a lot more heavy lifting to get it. Maybe you could bolt it down to the box floor. Keep it out of sight when not running it. Champions are kind of noisy, I have one...maybe somebody swiped it to get rid of the racket when it was running..LOL...Don

Tom Cobb

I will check into the motorcycle chain and lock. I have been trying to figure out how to bolt it down. That will be just one thing of at least two security measures. They stole from the truck in from of my house. No scratches on the truck so there was at least 2 and they probably lifted it right out of my truck into theirs.

jnbhobe

Mine is on a rack and slid into two class 3 recievers welded to the frame of the camper. The generator is bolted, chained and cabled to the rack, so far so good, been that way for years.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Knowing John, he welded everything together with a stick welder. So now you need dynamite or C4 to remove it.

Tom Cobb

I carry a genset in the truck and leave it there. I installed a plug on the front and wired it into a double 30 amp breaker that I installed in an open slot. I made a 10-4 extention cord to go from the truck to the front of the trailer. Installing a genset in a storage compartment could mean "DEATH".

Bob & Patty - Where did you connect the plug to that you connect to the generator? I have decided that leaving the gen set in the bed of the truck is the only way I can do this. Did you connect and RV cable to the breaker in the box in the trailer? Where did you tap in to connect the power to the main trailer system? I am thinking that I would use a 35 amp rv cable to plug into the gen and have a male plug on a cord from the circuit breaker box to connect the trailer and gen. Does that make sense?

Would like to see a wiring drawing for the trailer but apparently none are available. Thanks.