Tow Vehicle Tire Replacement

TXTiger

I have a 2012 Ford F-350 4x4 SRW with about 27,500 miles on the original Michelin LTX A/T2 tires size 275/65/20 that are already showing a lot of wear. I thought I would get a lot more miles out of them. I am looking for recommendations on replacement tires. My research so far indicates that the Michelin LTX A/T2 is one of the better choices but I am not happy with the milage I am getting on my current tires!! Any suggestions would be helpful. I just replaced all 6 Tow Max tires on the Cyclone with the Michelin XBS Ribs.

jnbhobe

Tony, not a lot of tires available in 20 in. Bridgestone Revo's don't look bad. I have 18 in on mine with the same problem I have a set of Firestone Transforce HT to put on mine. Same problem the Michelins don't wear very well for as expensive as they are. My cost on the Michelins is about $300 ea. and the Firestone is $215 ea. and I've had better luck with Firestone tires.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Tony, not a lot of tires available in 20 in. Bridgestone Revo's don't look bad. I have 18 in on mine with the same problem I have a set of Firestone Transforce HT to put on mine. Same problem the Michelins don't wear very well for as expensive as they are. My cost on the Michelins is about $300 ea. and the Firestone is $215 ea. and I've had better luck with Firestone tires.

We just got about 36k in 3 years on our Firestone Transforce HTs, (16", dually) ....already down to the wear bars on two of them, and yes they got rotated.

We ended up going with Michelin LTX M\S, they have 70k tread life warranty. They appear to have much deeper tread and had the best ratings on tirerack.com.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365971787.873511.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired

I have the firestones on my dually and usually get 3 years on mine and btw 36k and 40k miles on them.

MCTalley

We have the Michelin LTX M/S on our dually, as well. Don't have enough miles on them yet to comment on longevity, but in researching tires on a truck related forum, several members there were getting 70-90k miles out of a set. Not sure how many were towing or just running around unloaded all the time.

Our fronts have about 15k miles on them and pretty much all of the original tread - definitely are going to last longer than 30-40k miles.

scottyb

Two Toes, that is very disappointing to hear. After many years and many different tires, I startied running Michellin ATX's on my previous Chevy 3500 work truck. They were 17", but I was able to get 64K from the 1st set, and the set that was on the truck when I traded it for my Ford had 55K with more left in them. My wife's F250 came with the 20" Michellins and I was hoping for the same type of longevity. I didn't think there would be that much difference between 17's and 20's.

mobilcastle

We just got about 36k in 3 years on our Firestone Transforce HTs, (16", dually) ....already down to the wear bars on two of them, and yes they got rotated.

We ended up going with Michelin LTX M\S, they have 70k tread life warranty. They appear to have much deeper tread and had the best ratings on tirerack.com.View attachment 23878

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those are the cleanest tires I think I have ever seen!!-great picture.

I have a 2012 Ford F-250 4x4 SRW with about 35,500 miles on the original Michelin LTX A/T2 tires size 275/65/20, might make it to 40,000 miles.

Steve

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Tony, I had 2 sets of Firestone Transforce tires on the old truck....wore very well. 40K+ on both sets

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
We ended up going with Michelin LTX M\S, they have 70k tread life warranty.

Those are what's on the new truck except mine are 17s. Yesterday I noticed the left outside rear dual was starting to cup. I'm taking it to my tire guy and have the balance and such checked. They are only a month old for Pete's sake.

Eddhuy

This is the warranty on the new Michelin tires on my new F350, guess they figure you'll be towing and not going to give a mileage warranty:

limited warranty against defects in workmanship and materials for the
life of the original usable tread, or six years from date of purchase,
whichever comes first.

TXTiger

Well so far my research indicates that the Michelin tires are the most recommended but after getting less that 30,000 miles on mine I am reluctant to purchase them as my replacement tires. Looking into the Firestone Destination A/T. Told that they are very comparable to the Michelins, cost less money and are longer lasting.

aatauses

I have Michelins on mine but they are 16"----215.85r.16 LTX A/S---they currently have 48M and look like new---wish I could get Michelins for the Rv???
al
currently in Kenai, AK

Lou_and_Bette

Tony, when I bought my F450 it had Continental tires on it. The 4 rear tires are 225/70R/19.5 HDR(?Drive or Dual) the front 2 tires were 225/70R/19.5 HSR(?Stear or Single) Don't know when they were put on but the truck had 50K miles on it. The front 2 were pretty worn and as part of the deal the dealership replaced the 225/70R/19.5 HSR's. I now have 75K miles and the rears look almost as good as the front 2. I know that when it comes time to replace any tires, I will choose this brand again

lwmcguir

Well so far my research indicates that the Michelin tires are the most recommended but after getting less that 30,000 miles on mine I am reluctant to purchase them as my replacement tires. Looking into the Firestone Destination A/T. Told that they are very comparable to the Michelins, cost less money and are longer lasting.
I am sure not going to get the mileage out of our 20 inch Michelin's that I am used to. If we get 40K it will be a stretch. Going to think about this one as well.

porthole

Retired
Jon, put the Transforce's on yet?

Was thinking about those for me. The fronts area about ready, 46K on the originals.
Thea rears may wait until the spring though, they still look good.