Class of Drivers License Required in the state of Texas

SilverRhino

Over the past couple of weeks, due to changes in my tow vehicle, I have had numerous discussions concerning insuring and licensing RVs and the tow vehicles that go with them. After many telephone and a in person visits with representatives of the Texas DMV and DPS, I was assured that I was properly insured and that I did have the proper class of drivers license.

Based on the GVWR of my truck ( 11,000 lbs. ) and the GVWR of our BC 3250TS ( 14,000 ) I have a combined GVWR of 25,000 lbs. My rig being under 26,001 lbs I am only required to have the "normal" or Class "C" license. With this information I started looking at some of the GVWRs listed for Heartland products and determined that I would be required to obtain a Class "A" drivers license for: 1) over half the Big Countries; 2) over half the Big Horns; 3) all but the smallest two Cyclones and 4) any of the Landmarks.

Everyone I spoke with said that the license class issue does not usually come up, but, "if you were in an accident, everything then comes out"! So, fellow Texans......Check the GVWR on your tow vehicle and trailer and see if you are in fact towing "legal".

From the State of Texas Department of Public Safety:

Classes of Driver Licenses
The class of a Texas driver license is determined by the:
1. Type of vehicle operated on a Texas roadway

1. Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle or the gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of the vehicles towed
  2. Number of passengers the vehicle can hold
Unless prohibited by the Commercial Driver License Act, the holder of a valid driver license may drive all vehicles in the class for which that license is issued and all lesser classes except motorcycles and mopeds.
Classified Driver License
Class A, B, C, and M driver licenses are issued to individuals who are exempt from obtaining a commercial driver license (CDL) or who are not required to obtain a CDL.
NOTE: Individuals who are exempt from obtaining a CDL may still be required to obtain a Class A or Class B driver license if the type of vehicle driven meets the definition of a commercial motor vehicle.
Individuals who are exempt from obtaining a CDL but may need a Class A or Class B driver license are:

• Operators of recreational vehicles driven for personal use
  • Some farmers who meet certain criteria
  • Operators of cotton-seed modules or cotton burrs
  • A fire-fighting or emergency vehicle operator
  • Military vehicle operators
  • Vehicles owned, leased or controlled by an air carrier
For more information on exemptions, please refer to the Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers Handbook.
Classification
Description
Class A
Authorizes an individual to drive a vehicle or combination of vehicles:
1. Not described under a Class B or Class C driver license
2. With a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds including vehicles in Class B or Class C
Class B
Authorizes an individual to drive:
1. Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more and any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR that does not exceed 10,000 pounds or a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 pounds
2. A bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more including the driver
3. Any vehicle included in Class C
Class C
Authorizes an individual to drive any single vehicle:
1. Or combination of vehicles that are not included in Class A or Class B
2. With a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds towing a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 pounds
3. Designed to transport 23 or less passengers including the driver; vehicles rated as 16-23 passengers including the driver require a Class C CDL unless exempt

danemayer

For those so inclined, there's a guy in Austin who will help you get a CDL (or Class A non-CDL) by training you on his tractor trailer and having you practice the actual road test on the route used by the examiners. If you're new to towing large trailers, this is also a great confidence builder before taking your trailer out.

Austin CDL Services . All the Austin examiners know Eddie and when he says you're ready, it's pretty certain you'll pass. It's not free, but costs a lot less than most places.

To study for my test, I put together the attached study guide which has all the sample questions and answers from the Texas CDL Handbook (except for Section 14). If you know all these answers, and study section 14, you'll pass the written tests.

Attachments

• CDL Questions from Handbook.pdf
    632.4 KB · Views: 47