Tow vehicle for Heartland North Trail 31RLSS?

rlkubi

We bought the above trailer and love it. At this time we don't need a tow vehicle because we store it at a camping resort and for $24 they will put it on the site and take it back to storage. When I retire in a few years we will want to travel. The trailer is listed at 8,600 pounds. What tow vehicle would we have to get? I would rather have SUV than truck but I don't think any SUV will pull that.

RuralPastor

Re: Heartland North Trail 31RLSS

Ours will. Ford Excursion with a 7.3l diesel. They're hard to find in decent shape, though. There are still a few Ford vans with 7.3's around.

EandJ

We have a 31 QBSS. Also with a GVWR of 8,600 lbs. Also have an Excursion with the 7.3l diesel. No problem pulling the rig.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member

A New or near new 3/4 ton truck will fill your future needs. A 1/2 ton truck might say it will work on paper but you need the bigger brakes and suspendsion for towing that much weight.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

A 3/4 ton GMC Yukon XL can handle over 9000lbs. 3.73 axle with 6L engine

JRBEN

I have a 2011 26RLSS and up until yesterday I towed it with a 5.0L F150 Crew cab. However, the truck really struggled when pulling up any type of grade. So, this past weekend we traded up to a 2011 RAM 3500 BigHorn. I suspect I can now pull pretty much anything. :)

Last edited:

rlkubi

So a Ford Excursion or GMC Yukon would pull this camper. Those of you who have a similar trailer how do they pull? Would a 5th wheel pull better?

RuralPastor

Our 26rlss is a bit lighter than your trailer, but with our Excursion we've pulled extensively in the mountains (Teton Pass, etc.) with no issues. The 7.3 diesel is a strong motor. With that said, virtually any diesel 3/4 ton would adequately move your trailer in a safe manner.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Would a 5th wheel pull better?

Many folks who had bumper-pull before a 5ver... won't go back. A 5ver the towing experience seems easier on the driver. Less impact from passing trucks, cross winds, etc. Some say easier to turn and back, as well. Also easier to hitch and unhitch. But, with a 5ver you do have to worry about low clearance from trees, over hangs at gas stations, etc. and more than likely you'll end up wanting bigger ......!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk