2012 F350 Dually 4wd Suspension

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Well we just returned from our first outting with our new 2013 Landmark Key Largo. Just upgraded from a Bighorn 3185 and now I think I need to augment the rear suspension on the dually due to weight difference of the Landmark. I noticed +/- 3" of sag or squatting in the dually and would like to correct this with an air bag system. SO I turn to my fellow FORUM'Rs for input. PLease input away so I can make the right decision. Pinbox wieght on paper about 350 lbs more for Landmark and total tailer weight is about 1275lbs more.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
If both rigs are level I'd say leave it be. If your truck is sagging low in the rear then add air bags to level things out. The Firestones and Airlift bags are about the same, you will be happy with either.

blkdodge

I had the same issue with my 2012 3500 Dodge Dually. Truck would sit level, but right on the overload springs like it is suppose to. But when hitting rough patches in the road the trailer would start chucking. I installed Firestone air bags and only run 35 LBS. of air in them and problem solved. One thing I have noticed, is that the Ford duallies usually sit pretty level when empty, where as the Dodge sit alittle higher in the rear when empty.

porthole

Retired
Jim to add to the PM and info you may get from the SRW'ers.

You are probably not even near the overload tabs while not moving, the suspension can handle the weight OK. The difference between the SRW and DRW is the SRW uses 4" riser blocks between the axle and springs. The DRW uses a 2" block. The SRW sits noticeably higher then the DRW because of this.

So with similar loads the DRW squats and the SRW looks close to level. But they have about hte same amount of drop.

FYI for both S & DRW's (2011+ Fords). You should check the pads on your overload tabs. I replaced several of mine the first year. About $7 each if you don't want to wait for warranty.

Jim, did you notice a driveline shudder with the heavier traielr attached?

murry135

I had the same issue with my 2012 3500 Dodge Dually. Truck would sit level, but right on the overload springs like it is suppose to. But when hitting rough patches in the road the trailer would start chucking. I installed Firestone air bags and only run 35 LBS. of air in them and problem solved. One thing I have noticed, is that the Ford duallies usually sit pretty level when empty, where as the Dodge sit alittle higher in the rear when empty.

Yes I noticed that between both the Ford and Dodge. Looks like I am going with the Air Lift product.

murry135

Yes I did something that waa not therw with Bighorn.

Murry135/Capt. Wingnut

FiremanBill

I just put the Air lift springs on my '04. the inside the frame rail type similar to what you need on the later model fords with the factory installed under bed hitch rails.

Once I got the right kit (2nd time around) they went in very easily and only took about 4 hours total including the compressor system.

So far I am loving them! Big test Friday as we head south for a 1400 mile round trip with the Cyclone.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/vwragtopguy/bagsandshocks_zpsf2599158.jpg

dbbls59

I installed Air Lift on my truck. (2011 F350 dually) The right one went on quickly but the left one was a bear to install. I have the Ford factory 5th wheel prep and that made installation very time consuming. It will fit but sure took a lot of time to install.

dave10a

I was considering these http://www.realtruck.com/supersway-stops-for-ford-superduty/ after I purchased my truck, but found that my suspension is doing just fine in its stock form. My trailer drops the my truck almost 3 inches which makes it level. My trailer is a tad heavier than the OP's and I am surprised that a dually needs more help to pull that trailer. However I would consider the supersway stops before going to the expense of adding air bags. The swaystops make the overload springs engage earlier which should help the "squatting"

jbeletti

Jim,

I have a 2012 F450 DRW with the hauler bed, tools and aux tank of fuel. So I am heavier than stock. I feel mine is a bit squatted before I even hook up the RV. Likely due to the weight difference between the OEM bed and the hauler bed, plus extras.

I have Air Lift bags with the wireless controller. I run it at 35 PSI when hitched up to the RV. My pin weight is heavy! I forget exactly what it is but it's 4k +/-. I don't feel that my truck is anywhere near leveled out with 35 PSI, though I feel the coach is. More than 35 PSI for me and it starts to ride rough.

Jim

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
I have a TOW BOSS F350 and it is the greatest puller I have had to date. Dually but NOT 4X4 simply because it will out pull a 4X4, less front end weight. My Bighorn sets the bed down about 1" when loaded.

porthole

Retired
I have noticed, is that the Ford duallies usually sit pretty level when empty, where as the Dodge sit a little higher in the rear when empty.

When I bought my truck that was a deal closer. The Ford DRW sat 3-4" lower then either the Ford SRW or the GM and dodge SRW and DRW

Vamara1

I tow a 293RE with my Ford F-150 4x4 ~ to keep from saging, I added a "Super Spring". No saging, no differance in ride when the bed is empty. I purchased mine at a Good Year Tire store @ about $500.00