A Landmark is in our future...but we have questions!

mguay

As we are only a couple of years out from becoming snowbirds and going fulltime we have been searching for a new 5er. While visiting friends in AZ this January we made the treck to Quartzsite. We looked at several makes and floorplans and have settled on a Rushmore with Monte Carlo interior. We have the house on the market and as soon as it's gone we will place an order. Our closest dealer is 4hrs away and we have visited them and looked at what they have...unfortunately not a Rushmore. Which brings me here with a question. Our current Keystone product 5er does not have a heat vent on the left side of the bed. The DW doesn't mind as it is not her side of the bed. Living in the great NorthEast we have many nights with the heat on and I freeze. I have looked it over several times and the way the bed slide is positioned mostly out over the chin, there isn't a good way to run any duct work to that side of the bed. Today was the first day that we've had any sun to speak of and it was in the high 50s so I got to tinkering. I looked up next to the pinbox and noticed that I couldn't see any insulation. So I proceeded to remove the chin to have a better look. NO insulation from the pinbox throughout the chin all the way down to the frame. I got some 1" foam and fit it all tight then put it back together. There was also no insulation behind the front cap...but I wasn't going there!
We have noticed that the Rushmore doesn't have a heat duct on the left of the bed either.

My questions are this,
1. Is the chin area insulated on a Landmark?
2. Are the front and rear caps insulated as well?

We are planning on adding the Yeti package...but I don't think it covers these two areas.

Thanx for your help!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Mguay, welcome to the forum. There a lot of helpful people here willing to share information.
Yes, as far as I know all that is insulated. On my Bighorn it is.
I have not seen any heat ducts where you mentioned. I personally would not want another in the bedroom.
Others will chime in with their thoughts.
Maybe JohnDar will have some pictures he took at the factory of the front insulation.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

As mentioned in the attachment, the Yeti package includes front/rear cap insulation. It's not mentioned, but I believe it also includes insulation of the slide out flooring.

With the heat vent by DW's side of the bed in our Rushmore, it's not as warm on my side, but the electric blanket does the trick for me. I have also read some posts from people who use a heated mattress pad instead of an electric blanket.

We take extended ski trips in Colorado and are comfortable with temps down to -30F. And we don't have the Yeti package because it wasn't offered when we got our 2011 Rushmore.

Attachments

• Yeti.pdf
    192.4 KB · Views: 51

MTPockets

We have the yeti package in our Big Horn, as well as the double pane windows. Several nights in temps around 32 degrees and was very comfortable. We use the elec heat mostly, but turn on the gas heater in morning to toast it up when we rise. Colder than 32? Can't give info on that, and don't plan on being in that situation....

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes the Landmarks with the Yeti Package come with a insulation under the carpet and the floor of the slides. Not the Bedroom one though. I hope this helps.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We use 2 Pelonis electric heaters. One in the bedroom and one in the living area. The Pelonis electric heaters have auto cutoffs if they tip, and thermostats which allow them to cycle on and off. When 45 or below we will use them both and set the furnace on about 62 at night. If it is going to get below freezing we will use both electric heaters and the furnace because the furnace is what heats the underbelly to keep water pipes from freezing. We also keep a wireless thermometer in the basement which can be see inside to monitor the basement temps. The electric heater in the bedroom keeps it comfortable in there. You can find them at Camping World. You can also find them at Home Depot. This is the bedroom type we have http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pelonis-1-500-Watt-Digital-Fan-Forced-Heater-HF-0063/202207491#.UWzBucrJLsY This is what we use in the living area http://www.amazon.com/World-Marketing-B6A1-Pelonis-Classic/dp/B000KKMCS8

mguay

Thanx for the replies! Feels like I belong here already.
As Dave said, I am hoping JohnDar chimes in with some pics of the underside of the chin.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
The Yeti package does include additional insulation in the cap...we have been down into the teens and have done quite well. I will admit, however, that we like the bedroom cooler at night, but have never needed more than the comforter to stay quite comfortable.

Gaffer

Go with the heated mattres pad. They have his and hers controls and use very little wattage compared to space heaters. Be sure to leave your furnace on (say 55-or so) in freezing temps so as to keep the under belly from freezing.

aatauses

We are originally from ME, so understand cold weather. One vent in the bedroom should be enough, that is the closest to the furnace and gives plenty of heat. I know the BH are insulated in the front.
You will enjoy your new adventure.
al
currently in Kenai, Ak

cakie

After our first winter in our Landmark equipped with the Yeti package, we experienced a few nights below freezing. The Yeti package performed like a champ and we often times turn the propane heat off & just ran the fireplace heater & a 1500 watt occilating space heater in the bathroom/bedroom area. Comfortable. Next year I may try the heated mattress pad, sounds cozy!

Nicki & Don Chaffee

Theresau

We actually blocked the BH bedroom vent because it would get just too much heat. Since there was a doorway from the bedroom to the bath - we would get plenty of heat from the bathroom - even if the door was closed - heat would come under the door.

Believe it or not we went as low as 28 a couple of times in FL in March this year - not a problem at all. BH stayed very toasty. We don't have the dual pane windows and windows never steamed... We also ran into cold weather on our way down to FL - in GA and KY - again we stayed warm and windows were ok.

Sometimes we used the electric fireplace in lieu of the gas furnace. However, in the evening we used the furnace and left it on 68 or so as we would do at home.

We were never cold - just used comforters.

Theresa

ParkIt

Now this has me wondering...since they have to remove the bedroom slide and cap for repair I wonder if we can have them line the cap and slide out lined to add just a little more heat in/heat out factor.
What does work really well for us in our BC is an oil heater on low and the fireplace at 65º with the ceiling fan on low. It's kept the heat from kicking on at 29º outside, it does come on at 27º but only for short periods not chewing through the propane.

Pretty impressive without an Arctic Package.