Why doesnt Heartland tell you that you have a water heater by-pass???

firstone

I pulled the side panel off in my front storage that houses the WH in order to do a spring time water leak test, and cut an inspection window in the panel. I found that I have a by pass set up that they don't tell you about when you buy the unit or in the info guides.

Also have a question? - they use several screw on fittings for water connections throught the TT. I have found mine are working their way loose. How can I keep them tight????

jnbhobe

Better yet why didn't the dealer show you how to use it at the PDI ?? Thats part of the dealers job so I thought.

aatauses

It sounds like your dealer should have helped you through this process? You should be able to check your manual under winterizing and you should not have any issues.
Concerning your connections--they will come loose occasionally as you travel---I just check mine quite often and retighten as necessary.
al
currently in Kenai, AK

wdk450

I like to put RVers Goop (found in the RV section at WalMart) on threads that loosen.
This rubberized adhesive sealant is about as handy as duct tape. It dries like rubber cement, and while doing the job, can be easily removed.

firstone

Thanks for the links.........Do you guys pull the outside shower to check those fitting for leaks every season?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I check all the fittings that can be tightened by hand a couple of times per season. This includes the sink drains.
I just checked all of my fittings and found two PEX clamps that needed a little help. Just about a drop per hour, not serious, but not leaking anymore either.
It's always a good idea to check everything, not just fittings.

Peace
Dave

firstone

Thanks, what did you do to tighten the clamps? Should I buy the tool and extra clamps or should I keep other spare parts?

I check all the fittings that can be tightened by hand a couple of times per season. This includes the sink drains.
I just checked all of my fittings and found two PEX clamps that needed a little help. Just about a drop per hour, not serious, but not leaking anymore either.
It's always a good idea to check everything, not just fittings.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If the dealer would have done a proper Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI or walkthrough) you would have been shown all of the various systems and how to operate them. Don't blame Heartland, blame the dealer.

firstone

Jim, You have a point, however, I don't even think they knew, You have to remove the wall panel in the storage area to get to the water heater. There you will see the by by pass. There is no sign for it or knobs that can be seen on the exterior wall that the water heater is behind. I don't believe it is in the owners manual either but I am not positive. I found it while checking the whole system for water leaks.

If the dealer would have done a proper Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI or walkthrough) you would have been shown all of the various systems and how to operate them. Don't blame Heartland, blame the dealer.

firstone

I was not knocking heartland in the first place. I was pleasently surprised to find that I had the bypass. They just need to mark the panel with the by pass behind it.

I was not impressed by the dealer is all I can say. Even the battery they put in was installed in the trailer 6 months before it was bought. Never charged and had a dead cell. Then, when I called them and asked for a reciept for the battery it self so I could change it out and get payed for the new battery they didn't give me one and accused me of trying to commit fraud. I gave up and the Exide CO. accepted the trailer purchase reciept instead. Exide is very good to work with.

This is my first TT and I can say I have learned alot already.

Dealers winterize and de-winterize units all the time.

evolvingpowercat

A search on Amazon.com of "RV for dummies" returns 708 results. IMO Heartland assumes someone making a $ 20 K - $ 80 K investment that is totally new to this and getting their first Travel Trailer is going to buy a few $ 10 books and not assume every single thing that someone might need to know is going to be provided by Heartland.

I am on my first trailer and learned tons from this forum, enough so that I thought it was appropriate to join the Heartland Owners Club to help support the cost of the web site.

Personally I also purchased about $ 50 worth of paperback books and a subscription to Trailer Life to help learn my way. I purchased a copy of "RV Repair and Maintenance Manual" by Bob Livingston which I found quite helpful understanding the systems on my trailer and what is involved in repairing them making me able to do some myself and more knowledgeable on the others so I could tell if the service person I was working with to fix something was quoting a satisfactory price and doing a satisfactory job.

RuralPastor

You write, "...they didn't give me one and accused me of trying to commit fraud." It never fails to amaze me how some businesses shoot themselves in the foot like this. Great way to get return customers. And then there are others, like Exide, who "...accepted the trailer purchase reciept instead."