Mod #1

eddylives

006.jpg

Our new trailer came with the slide out bumper so I decided its a good place to mount an old truck job box to use for dirty storage.
A good place to store the smelly items like gas and oil for the boat and saw , also somewhat secure compared to the compartment door locks.
This was done in the begining of the 2012 season and shows no signs of having problems from trailering about 7-800 miles on highway and rough logging roads.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I've thought of doing something similar, but we also use the slide-out bumper to carry our mountain bikes.

One thing I wish Heartland would do is to put another hole or two so that we could choose how far out to have the bumper pulled out.

With our two mountain bikes it really doesn't need to be slid out all of the way.

CamperSlideOutJacks-IMG_0510.jpg

3ares

My trailer has a slide out bumper, I added a pickup alum. toolbox and added two Action Packer plastic boxes-one on each side. Great place for tools, chocks, power chords, sewer hock up items, legos, shovel, saw etc.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My trailer has a slide out bumper, I added a pickup alum. toolbox and added two Action Packer plastic boxes-one on each side. Great place for tools, chocks, power chords, sewer hock up items, legos, shovel, saw etc.

I've thought about using the slide-out bumper with some storage boxes to hold our firewood as it really is a PITA to put the bikes on this bumper and it is much easier to just put them in the box of the truck since I have a topper on it.

NewCamperTruck-P9110306.jpg

The first time I used the rear slide-out bumper to haul our mountain bikes pretty much destroyed the plastic tray that lines this slide-out bumper . . . and all I got was a bunch of grief from the dealership about fixing it under warranty! :mad:

Now I keep the firewood in the back of the truck and it is a PITA to get to the wood when I need it . . .

And the slide-out bumper in not heavy duty enough to put a generator on it . . . which is something we are thinking of adding next summer!

montey

I just purchased a 2014 trail runner. I got rid of the plastic tray. I bolted 3/4" treated plywood to the frame with several eye bolt locations. I also drilled additional holes in the extension arm. Now have two choices on distance it will slide out.

jimtoo

Hi montey,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Thanks for sharing your mod. That's what makes the Heartland Owners forum so great. Great people sharing great ideas and helping one another.

Enjoy the forum and your Trail Runner.

Jim M

stratcat

I removed he plastic tray. and replaced with steel mesh.
It's strong enough to hold m 4K genny.
Heartland sys the pullout will hold 150lbs from the size
of the tubing should hold about double that amount.