Road Warrior - Toilet Belching

tljack

The toilet in our 305 belches. When flushing a very large bubble (about the size of a baseball) is visible and then a foul odor. We have had the unit to the dealership about this. they say the vent is not blocked. The vent pipe is the correct length in the tank. We do use the correct amount of RV holding tank chemical. It would be nice to solve this problem. Any ideas?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: ATF: Road Warrior - Toilet Belching

I had that happen a long time ago. Same symptoms.
The toilet drain pipe was clogged. I didn't think it was but I was wrong and found that out when I dumped water in there.
Take a 5 gallon bucket of water and with the foot pedal holding the valve open, dump the water in.
Or use a garden hose.
Theory is that a large volume of water will clear any clog.
Worked for me.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Forgot to mention what Lou said.
They all burp when nearing full.

Peace
Dave

tljack

After emptying the tank, flushing it out, putting in chemical for 40 gallons. After about the 2nd or 3rd time, it belches!

Rickhansen

Or remove the black tank vent cap on the roof and flush with water from a hose.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

OK, they said they did....are you sure they did?? Do it yourself then report back.

porthole

Retired

You did not mention, is this from day one, after first use of trailer or after several trips?

We have a 3010, same floor plan as the 305 and that is not normal. We seldom even come close to filling the tank enough to get the "tank almost full" burp.

I am with the above suggestion that you have a restriction somewhere between the bowl and the tank, or right at the tank, or a vent issue.

That is a 3" pipe going down, angling 45 degrees and continuing to the tank, so you can't see straight down.

But, because it is a 3" pipe a 5 gallon bucket of water should dump very quickly. Have you done that yet?

I would suggest for starters:

Flush several times to get as much clean water in the pipe.
Fill the toilet to the top and dump once or twice.
Fill the bowl right up to the top and dump several times

No different? Connect to the sewer discharge and try again with the black tank drain open to the the sewer connection.

If that helps or solves the problem that could narrow down that you have a clogged vent issue as you are not only trying to vent to the roof but are also venting in the campground's sewer system.

If you are comfortable enough that you will not get a "facefull", fill the bowl to the rim, have a 5 gallon bucket filled and dump both as fast as possible.

tljack

First, thank you all for your input. We bought the unit last July. Presently we have spent 15 weeks in it and it has moved over 9,000 miles. "did the dealer actually do it" That of course is a good question! We are not home so I have not tried the bucket idea. I think it would take an incredibly long time for two people to fill that tank. When I do each initial draining, it only takes a minute or two until it empty. We are returning home this morning. The first of the week I will try dumping a 5 gallon bucket filled with water down the toilet. I also am going to attach a spray nozzle (with threaded tip) then attach a watering wand. I plan to unscrew the end and screw on a brass solid stream nozzle I have. Then I will stick it down the hole and blast away. I will let you all know what happens. We plan to take the unit out again in 2 weeks for 10 days. Should know if we are successful.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

I'm assuming that you use the black tank spritzer and flush the tank until it runs clear? Sometimes it takes me 4-5 times to get it clean. You might have a partial blockage in the drain pipe from the turlet also. My best Yidish impression.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

Just an idea. When they cut the hole in the black tank to put the drain hose on it the cutout almost always falls inside the tank. They will not take the cutout piece out of the tank. Sometimes the cutout will partly block or completely block the drain hose. When this happens you will think the tank has been drained but it is not. Eventually the tank solids build up until it fills up quickly. The only way to clear the cutout is to use a ton of water to flush the tank or remove the tank and clean it out (yuck). After awhile of use ours just came out and then it was clear. I would suggest you fill the tank and empty it 5 or 6 times (at least) until it flows good. Another way that works good is to put 2-3 bags of ice down the toilet and then drive around. The ice sloshing around will help break up any blockage. After you have it good and clean never keep the black tank open while using the RV. What happens is the liquid will flow out and the solids will stay in the tank and will eventually create a mound of solids in the tank causing problems. Leave your tank closed and then empty it before you go home or after it starts burping. You cannout rely on the tank indicators.

porthole

Retired

Another thought. One to check to see if the cut out is blocking the discharge.

Drain your black tank best you can.
Fill one of your gray tanks.

Using a Flush King valve, closed, open black drain then gray drain. This will back flush the back tank drain with some volume and force.

Last edited:

Dear tljack,
did you ever get your toilet drain issue fixed? If so, what finally cleared it? I have a 2011 405RW that is doing exactly the same thing and tons of water poured down it, a hose shoved down it with excellent pressure numerous times has not solved the problem. I will check the vent as I hadn't thought of that... Respectfully, WSR

danemayer

Dear tljack,
did you ever get your toilet drain issue fixed? If so, what finally cleared it? I have a 2011 405RW that is doing exactly the same thing and tons of water poured down it, a hose shoved down it with excellent pressure numerous times has not solved the problem. I will check the vent as I hadn't thought of that... Respectfully, WSR
Hi Wscottryder,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. This is a great place to get help and advice. Hope you get the belching problem figured out soon. You might want to take a look at our Water Systems Guide. While it's not a troubleshooting guide, there might be something in there that helps you now or in the future.