seeking hitch suggestions for MPG 181 and Toyota Tacoma pairing

Battl

We just purchased our 2012 MPG 181 and are not certain what type of equalizer/anti-sway system to purchase. We've been perusing the FAQS in the forum but cannot find a thread dedicated to this topic...probably haven't searched hard enough. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.:)

danemayer

Hi batti,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a lot of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

I'm sure you'll get some knowledgeable responses shortly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Manzan

I use a Reese with Dual Cam Sway Control. This is the third trailer I have used it with since 1989. There are several others out there that work well also.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Progress Mfg Equal-I-zer, http://equalizerhitch.com/ Has four point sway control, Once installed, It is very easy to connect and disconnect the hitch. Sway control is built-in and does not require additional connections for sway bars or need to be disconnected when backing up or making extreme turns.

bigmaho

I use this
http://www.autoanything.com/towing/...ngid=274x580&gclid=CILi1LHd1rYCFdCY4AodxTkA_g
I'd stay away from a weight distribution bar because the 181 is rear heavy (Heartland.... why did you put the fresh water tank in the rear?) so the key is to add weight up front. I added a 2nd marine battery which helped a lot. Weight Distribution hitches will lessen the hitch weight even more. But check with your dealer or a trailer expert. I love our 181, but find it does want to sway if I'm above 65 mph.

Battl

Thanks for the info, you've saved me some time. I'm also noticing that we have the inside wear on the tires and have concerns about the axle problems that have been talked about.

bigmaho

If you are still under warranty contact Lippert and your dealer about the axle. I'm not sure what the axle warranty is. My camper came with paperwork for everything except the axle warranty.

kb0zke

We had an Equal-i-zer weight distributing hitch that went with our 181. Worked well, with no sway. Since I'm the slowest driver on the road I kept speeds to 55-60. Even with some cross-wind and semis passing we never felt uncomfortable.