RV Storage to Benefit Tire Life

57chevyconvt

I have a question about the proper way to store an RV for extended periods of time when the trailer is setting on concrete. I have read and been told that storing a trailer with the tires resting directly on concrete can lead to shorting the life of a tire. It is my understanding that the concrete will draw the moisture and polymers from a tire making the rubber develop hairline cracks and destroy, over time, the resilience designed into the rubber compound. I am aware of the influence of hydrocarbons and UV's on tires. Any thoughts on this subject?

GOTTOYS

I don't think concrete or boards make any difference. Just try to keep them dry and up out of any water. My truck tires are on pavement every day I drive it and it doesn't seem to hurt them. Can't see if it makes any difference if it's moving or parked..Don

Eddhuy

I had the same question about storing my motorcycle years ago. The best answer was that concrete used to shorten the life of tires but that is no longer the case. After several years of storing the motorcycle on concrete in my garage, I would have to agree, no longer an issue.

donr827

Do not know if this is possible in your case but it is also a good idea to take the trailer out for a spin once a month. We keep our trailer at a storage lot, can not keep it at home, and I take mine out for a spin once a month. Suppose to good for the tire's material and bearings. When my wife is able to travel again , God willing, this will not be a problem for me.
Don

jpdoggett

I don't think concrete has anything to do with tires going bad. My RV I had before I got my Landmark was 11 years old and was always on concrete in the driveway or in storage and when I traded it in it had the original tires on it. It only had 5800 miles on it and I checked them before we went to Texas and never had any problems at all. On that note I don't recommended not putting on new tires.