Has Anyone Done This?

We were wondering if anyone has unscrewed their kitchen table from the floor. It would help us to be able to move it when eating. It's awfully hard to squeeze in right now. Will the table jump around while traveling? I'm afraid it will bump into the window and break it.

Also, if we do unscrew it, can it be re-screwed back in easily?

Thanks.

jbeletti

I would say, yes, you could remove the wooden plugs and pull out the screws. Maybe you could do some custom length straps and tie the table down (over the top) to the chair tie-down points on the floor.

If you wanted to really go nuts, with the screws removed and the table set aside, you could slightly enlargen the holes on the carpet and drill, then insert T-nuts. Then purchase some aluminum rod stock and use a die to cut threads in it, cut it to length and add a plastic T handle to it. I'll bet two of these would hold the table down and allow for it's quick removal.

I made a nice threaded pin with a T-handle for my sliding tray. Used a friends die set. It was my first time cutting threads. It was fun and easy.

Jim

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
table

Good idea Jim, we also have a problem with the table being to close to the wall on one side.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
One of the first things we did. Will strap it down using the chair rings.

jrlebaron

We just did this, but haven't travelled with it yet. The movement inside the 5ver seems ever so slight. What i'm going to do is protect the table with padding against the window the other side the slider will stop it from moving. If i think things move i'll figure out some way of tying the table down. Jim

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
Our last fiver had a loose table and we didn't even tie it down. Didn't know to, lol, guess ignorance was bliss. It never appeared to have moved.

Princess Kathleen

On the PDI we asked the dealer to move the table....since we are large in size....so that was an easy move...unscrew and re-screw...

PK

jpmorgan37

We moved ours about four inches and screwed it back down, since it wasn't very stable not secured to the floor. It was no problem screwing it down again and you couldn't see where it was originally after a few days. If you leave it not secured, I would turn it upside down for travelling. It should travel safely that way.

John

pickuphunt

I made our table a 'slider'. With a little woodworking, I removed the table top from the leg. (lift up the table top and remove the screws.) Then removed the leg from the floor. Took both to my wood shop layed the table top - top down on the bench put the leg in position as it was in the 5er.(all upside down) Noticed that I could slide the leg back and forth. On one side where the leg sets right next to the frame of the table I put a piece of wood so that it would overlap the table leg board that would fasten to the top of the table. The other side I had to make a piece of wood that would snug up to the table leg board and fasten it to the side pieces of the table top. Then I put a piece here that overlapped the table leg board. It does work. There are some companies that sell the table were the top slides giving more room for people to get up to the table. It helps to put that table on its top with out the screws as described above and slide the leg back and forth. That will give you a better idea of how the added pieces must be attached. WFM (worked for me) Remember, be careful with the screws that go back to attached the legs to the floor as these screws, if they go through too far could go through the floor and if they do, they will catch the carpet when the slide is brought in. It is best to do this with the silde out and check under the slide after re-installing the screws to be sure they haven't gone through. Don't use any new screws that could be longer that the original screws.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
That sounds like a great modification. Could you post some pictures please.

Thanks,
Mark

madigand

We removed the screws and are able to move ours around. We did not put then back in. When we travel we lay a carpet runner over the top of the table. It is long enough that it drapes over both ends. This stops it from rubbing the sink cabinet and window when traveling. Works fine for us.

navyAZ1

I took the screws out of ours and never put them back and we don't strap it down have traveled about 5000 miles since without incident.:D

Tom of Ypsi

Our table and chairs never came with the tie downs straps or anything to tie them down to even if we had the straps. So far after 15K plus miles no problems, slight movement but nothing to really get alarmed about.

vrugt

We removed all the window treatment boxes because we didn't like them. We replaced all with regular curtains and rods. The side effect is a couple more inches of space for the chairs around the table (if you move the couch you gain space on both sides of the table)