Truck Question

brukel

We are soon to retire and have never RV'd (tent camped when the kids were younger). We have been with friends in a class A, and the experience has been great. In retirement, we hope to spend quite of time camping, maybe 4 of 5 months a year. We have lived conservatively during our working years and would like to spend a little more and do it right. We are currently looking at Big Country and what we decide on will probably be our first and last. The models we like are:
3251TS GVWR 14,000, Dry weight 10,999, Hitch 1,920
3450TS GVWE 15,950, Dry weight 11,950, Hitch 2,200
We would probably get 2nd A/C, dual pane windows, and possible the larger refrigerator.

I do not have a truck, so have no way to weigh fuel, contents, passengers. I would like to get new or late model GM truck, my preferred is 2500 Diesel extended cab, because I believe a short bed would fit in my garage (hate to spend a bunch of money to leave outside). It looks like 3500 only comes in long bed, which will not fit. My estimates based on what I have read on various forums and websites, say that the 3251TS would probably work with a 2500, but in reading the posts on the Heartland forums, it seems like the majority of the owners in these size range have one tons. I want to be 100% safe and within capacity and do not want to watch every pound I put into the camper, so I would value the opinions of current knowledgeable owners. Thanks in advance!

jimtoo

HI brukel,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and soon to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions and opinions soon. I will move the thread to a different area where more folks will see it.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

sengli

We just went from a 2500 to 3500HD dually because we went to small to begin with. Our current rig is in the 14K GVWR size like the 3251 your listing. The main thing is the 1 ton with a diesel and exhaust brake is much safer. Is it over kill, maybe... but if you go thru mountains with all that trailer pushing you down hill. I think its up to you. Will a 2500 pull it? Most likely, but then again if you are going to load it with everything you have ...that weight adds up. Dual pane windows add approximately 300lbs to the coach. I was told at the factory when we asked, that the dual panes have an R factor .07

ILH

If you're looking at a dually, I don't think they make anything but a long-bed. I agree with Sengli, the exhaust break is a must. I love mine.

dave10a

MY SRW truck handles my Landmark very well. I too chose the SRW because it would fit in my garage, do well in snow, and is easy to park. The Landmark is the maximum my truck will haul at 16250 GVW. Of course I configured all the chassis option Ford offers and I installed a TraileAir hitch. The truck needs no after market add-on's. I have pulled the trailer coast to coast to where I have 12,000 mile on it with no problems and it handles very well and did not break into a sweat pulling the Rockies or Sierras. I don't travel with the grey or black water and the fresh water at less than 1/3.

JanAndBill

Not sure about GM, but the others build the 1 ton SRW drive in a short bed. I think to get the dually you'll find they are all long bed. We have a F350 dually with the long bed, and love it. Ride is great, it's so stable, and plenty of power. Frankly we found the price difference between the 1 ton dually and a 3/4 ton diesel to be only minimal, on both new and used.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We pull an ElkRidge, but it is in between the weights you have listed. We have a 2004 GMC 1 ton. No issues at all pulling, stopping, mountains, etc. We can, by the numbers, haul bigger/heavier with this truck... but would it be as easy and safe-feeling? Not sure. I would recommend for peace of mind, get more truck than you think you need.

Check out this great website, as well: http://fifthwheelst.com/before_you_buy.htm

Many folks think they are buying their "last RV" only to be tempted to upgrade a few years later, and it's nearly always bigger/heavier!

Hope to have you join us in the Heartland family, soon!

Erika

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Many folks think they are buying their "last RV" only to be tempted to upgrade a few years later, and it's nearly always bigger/heavier!

Erika[/QUOTE]

HEY! I resemble that! lol

X2 What Erika said.

Tombstonejim

Well I own a 3450 and I say you need a dually to hold that hitch weight. And I don't know what you mean by camping but parking that thing in most state type parks is gonna be a real pain. I only put mine in resort style parks.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a 2008 Bighorn 38ft long. I have not had a problem staying in any state park, COE or other park I have visited. I alway check the internet to see if they can handle big rigs, check out RV Park Reivews or/and call the park. If I have not contacted the park early I call when I am about an hour out and ask if they have room for a 38ft 5th wheel.

I have not stayed in Federal parks. Those are the ones I probably have a problem fitting into.

Find the trailer you really like and then get a 1 ton truck or better. Me, I am a Ford guy... so a 2011, 12 or 13 F350 would be great... DRW or SRW is up to you... Dual's will give you a bit more stability on the highway but in some places it is easy to get stuck.. We have a SRW F250 and I can feel the wind but not enough to say I need a DRW.

FWIW
BC

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Any 2011 or newer 2500 GM truck with the D/A combo will do the trick. They have a rating 17K+ for a 5er. They all have bigger brakes and an exhaust brake. I just traded for a 1tn DRW GMC, but the OL' horse (2007 Classic 2500) I had pulled our 14K+ 5er just fine.

I have a Big Country 3450TS.
I had a Ford 2005 F-250 Super Cab FX4 Short Box Diesel SRW.
After my first trip into the hills of Southeast Ohio, I felt I needed more truck.
I did not like the White Knuckle feeling while towing.
I now own a 2011 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Dully Long Box Diesel FX4.
The truck is so much more stable and hauling the 5er is a joy.
The relaxed feeling is so worth the money.
I park my truck outside because it won't fit in the garage..
With the F250 I was at rated capacity of the truck at 15,500, and that's what the trailer scaled at. I was 500# overweight on the trailer. (since corrected)
I had added Air Helper Springs to this truck.
With the F350 dully I'm rated at 21,700, and you don't need the add on's.
You will get many views from many people, but many of us have gone from F250 or 2500 SRW to F350, 3500 Dually's for a reason, take the time to hear what is being said.
Check other sections on this forum, this issue has been discussed before.
You may want to upgrade to a bigger 5er sometime in the future and if you make the right choice now, you won't have to buy a bigger truck later.

Hockster

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

brukel

I appreciate the helpful replies from each of you. Based on the majority of the replies, I think I will go with a one ton, but have to think about a dully. I am watching for a nice, low mileage used one to show up. You are a great group, I look forward to joining you as an owner, hopefully soon but will probably be ordering to get what I would like. Thanks again.

Tombstonejim

The problem is not the tow rating. Most 2500/F250 have the tow rating it is the GVWR of the truck that will be exceded. My F250 is rated to tow 15,500 but the GVWR of the truck is 10,000. The hitch weight of the 3450 will put it at least 500 to 600lbs over 10,000. The same thing will happen on most SRW trucks even 1 tons. You need to know the GVWR of the truck which the factory tow guides do not normally provide. You must get it off of the door sticker of individual trucks.

Speedy

I think I will go with a one ton, but have to think about a dully. I am watching for a nice, low mileage used one to show up.
If you have the money why wait? Go to Texas where 350/3500 rule and are quite plentiful. I shopped on eBay over a weekend and found exactly what I wanted. Made a bid and won, paid $500 to hold it for a third party inspection. I found nothing in the inspection that scared me away so I sent another $500 to hold until pickup at the end of the week. Flew down to Houston on a Saturday morning and drove back to Minnesota; home in time for dinner. Truck is our TV for full-timing and couldn't be happier. Love the fact it's paid for and cheap to operate and maintain.

dave10a

Again the My ford SRW pulls the Landmark just fine and have never felt the need for more truck after driving coast to coast and border to border. Also it meets Ford's pulling spec according to the CAT scales. I think a dually is over-kill for a 16k trailer-- which is the max limit for a SRW. Heartland trailers are light and most of them don't need duallies to pull them. If you have a DRV or New Horizon or heavier trailer then a dually is a must. In those cases I would go a F450 dually rather than a F350 dually. Sorry but thems my facts :)

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I feel that my dually is much more safe and stable than any single wheel truck. I pulled for a long time with a GMC 2500 that was within the tow limits but now with this Ram dually, I feel at ease towing my Landmark.

dave10a

I feel that my dually is much more safe and stable than any single wheel truck. I pulled for a long time with a GMC 2500 that was within the tow limits but now with this Ram dually, I feel at ease towing my Landmark.
I guess we simple don't agree ;-) A 2500 is a little lite for my trailer though.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Regards to the truck question "will my truck pull it? or how much truck do I need to pull it" - the real question is how much truck will I need to STOP it. Remember the Toyota Tundra pulling the Space Shuttle. A 1/2 ton pickup will pull a 747 or locomotive engine but the real question is will it stop it. Remember brakes on the RV may not be adjusted properly or may fail. In my mind it is better to go with too much than not enough. MHO

dave10a

. In my mind it is better to go with too much than not enough. MHO
see nothing wrong with staying within design limits. Otherwise one is paying for something they do not need. Maybe my engineering economics classes got to me :) In this case for trucks one needs to determine if they want to put up with the inconvenience of a dually when not towing or not needlessly.