hanging towel bar - finding stud

We want to hang a small towel bar in the bathroom to hang a hand towel by the sink. How do we find the studs to screw in to? Any hints on making sure it doesn't just pull out of the wall with use?

Thanks

Lisa

jbeletti

Lisa,

The wall you want to mount the bar on, is it the outside wall or an inner wall? If an inner wall, you can use a stud-finder or merely press hard on the wall board. It gives pretty easily to hand pressure. When it will not give at all - that's where some framing member is.

PeternLiane

We hung our towel bar up on the interior wall with wall hog screws. They hold 50 to 100 lbs each. We have never had an issue with it at all. We put up one the same way that has 4 little towel hooks. the towel bar with the 4 towel hooks works great too. No issues at all so far.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I hung a towel ring next to our sink using a thin-wall plastic molly. Trick to preventing it from pulling out of the wall is to lift the towel off the ring (or bar) not tug it off. Been hanging there since early 2009.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I used "molly fasteners" to hang the TP, towel rack, and some other things. A word of caution, make sure that there is not plumbing lines in that wall before you drill.

goducks11

If i's an interior wall sometimes you can just push on the wall and when you find the hard spot thats usually a stud. On the exterior I would try a stud finder.

priorguy

I just added hooks to the door to accommodate towels for a family of four. Usually let the air dry out in the sun as we have a clothes line at our seasonal site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk