2011 F150 towed just fine untill......................................

firstone

I got to the hills. Coming back fro LA. to OK, the truck was fine except for the hills all the way back. Up an down, up and down all it did was shift up and down shifting up and down from 6-5 and 6-4. It was in tow haul mode I have the tow pack and was well under weight and 3:73? gears. I tried to lock out 5th and just watched my tranny temps rise. The constant shifting was driving me nuts!!!!!!!!

What am I doing wrong????

danemayer

Gas engine? They develop max horsepower at higher RPM than diesels. Also lose power as altitude increases.

firstone

Yes gas, 5.0 Hill not that tall - not like mountains. Just don't want to hurt the truck. I tried locking out a gear and keeping it in 5th but tranny temps rose.

Gas engine? They develop max horsepower at higher RPM than diesels. Also lose power as altitude increases.

pegmikef

I pulled my 26LRSS just fine with an F150 super crew just fine until I got tired of the low gas mileage and high rpm climbing hills, so I traded for an F250 6.7 Diesel. Instantly improved my gas mileage by about 20 percent and the power climbing hills is awesome with a lightweight trailer like the 26LRSS. Will never go back to a gasser for towing.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
You might want to talk to Mike @ 5 Startuning for a custom tune. Also installing headers on the 5.0 will increase the mid range torque. LINK
His tunes did wonders for my V-10.

Speedy

Look into a larger trans cooler and a deeper pan for more fluid. That is the quickest and cheapest start to lowering your transmission temps. Next would be a more capable truck for the trailer you are towing.

pegmikef

Diesel would be great, got 50,000 I han borroe...LOL

Wht F150 did you have?

I had the F150 4.6 3V 2010 Super Crew. On most terrain it worked fine . . . plenty of power, no swaying, stopped well, but in the hill country is was quite a work out. I was disappointed in the gas mileage with the smaller engine. My wife's 5.8 (Expedition) gasser can pull it just fine, but over all the diesel is the way to go. . . . ironically, mine has 27,000 miles and I have to trade it in as we are moving to a fiver and I need a one ton to pull it. . . so I am probably going to take a little bath on it.