Hot in cabinet when furnace runs.

Brader

We were out in the Key Largo Friday night, the outside temp in the 40' so we fire up the furnace and start to warm up. The wife opens the cabinet below the pantry and says, check this out. There was heat in the cabinet that was too hot to be normal. So I went and got my laser thermometer. (everyone should have one) 117 degrees. There is no way this can be normal.

So yesterday I emptied the storage compartment and removed the carpeted wall to see what it looked behind the furnace. Well found it..... I could not believe my eyes. During the installation of the furnace the factory
failed to install the panel on the back of the furnace. This panel has three flex heat ducts. The panel was at least four inches away from the back of the furnace. Well that would cause high heat in that cabinet. I bet if I would have checked the temp in the storage compartment it would have been about as hot.

So I rounded up a couple of sheet metal screws and finished final assembly on my Key Largo for Heartland.

Of course I had to finish the job by getting the shop vac and clean up all the saw dust, foam, metal shavings, wire nuts, & screws.

On the pulse side I now know what is behind the wall. I found the onboard surge protector, inverter, water pump, wires, and plumbing.

I fired up the furnace for a little while last night and the checked the temp in the cabinet. The temp was 61 degrees. I guess that was the fix. The RV warmed up faster than ever.

Has anyone ever had an experience like this?

danemayer

I'm wondering why the cover was off. Maybe there was a furnace problem. You might call the dealer and ask the service people whether they had to fix something prior to delivery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hoefler

I had a similar issue when we bought our 06 Mt. Rushmore, the block outs had shook loose and fallen out.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Me to, the kitchen counter top would get blazing hot. I found the covers (plugs) for adding ducts were all out of place. Sheet metal screws fixed it and had more air flow.

Gary521

Me to, the kitchen counter top would get blazing hot. I found the covers (plugs) for adding ducts were all out of place. Sheet metal screws fixed it and had more air flow.

How come when somebody posts an entry like this thread, nobody from the factory chimes in with a reply?? This is an example of shoddy workmanship and trying to get units out the door as quickly as possible. How about a factory reply that says something like we recognize the issue and will concentrate more on quality and fix these type of issues rather than doing nothing. Paying lip service to quality is not quality. When I have remove panels to check something I find sawdust all over the place and screws lying loose everywhere -why? There is no time to tidy up a bit and we must push the unit number. Just like the furnace issue. If its hidden -who's going to see it. Hey it's only an RV -everybody does the same thing-right!? Yah right!

Snow

Yes I had a similar problem this past weekend on my new BC 3650 we had hot water while on gas but when I switched to 110 v I had nothing , called my dealer and they was busy , but they was not busy 2weeks ago when I wanted to talk to someone about buying one yea I know right !! But anyway while waiting on a call me and my buddy removed the wall in the basement and found the hot wire for the hot water heater came loose from the wire nut , it didn't even look like it was twisted to the other hot wire, turned off the breaker and redone the wires and checked the others and bingo! Had hot water but on the plus side I did find a duct hose from my furnace was about ready to fall off and just like Brader I found out what all was behind door #1 , cleaned all the mess up even though you caint see it , just a piece of mind I guess makes you wonder what happen to QC at heartland but also my dealer should have found that , but I still have to say if that's all that happens ill be a happy camper , no other problems at all , and its a lot better then the my keystone and yes I will buy another heartland product ,I love my 3650 caint wait for my next trip in two weeks ! ⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄

danemayer

How come when somebody posts an entry like this thread, nobody from the factory chimes in with a reply??
Hi Gary521,

This is the Owners Forum. There are a few areas of the forum that are monitored by factory people, but even in those areas, they don't necessarily see every post. Most questions, in all areas of the forum, are answered by other owners.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Here is a dealer's video of a HL factory tour from 2011. If you'll notice, the workers are moving quite fast. There are multiple assemblies going on at each station, not just one or two.

Not making excuses, just wanted folks to see what's going on.

Rickhansen

So yesterday I emptied the storage compartment and removed the carpeted wall to see what it looked behind the furnace. Well found it..... I could not believe my eyes. During the installation of the furnace the factory failed to install the panel on the back of the furnace.

So I rounded up a couple of sheet metal screws and finished final assembly on my Key Largo for Heartland. Of course I had to finish the job by getting the shop vac and clean up all the saw dust, foam, metal shavings, wire nuts, & screws.

On the pulse side I now know what is behind the wall. I found the onboard surge protector, inverter, water pump, wires, and plumbing.

Brader, Kudos to you!
I sincerely applaud the fact that you properly diagnosed, investigated, and took the initiative to fix the problem. While I understand the potential for frustration, you just passed the test to call yourself a real "camper" and did so in a positive manner. Thanks for sharing.

Brader

Thanks to all of you that has chimed in. I have contacted my dealer, Motor Sports Land SLC, UT but no response. I to, was hoping to see a Heartland Rep to respond.

PeternLiane

I just had to fix a small water leak behind the toilet. It has been leaking for quite a while. I even told the dealer about seeing the water. The dealer found and repaired other leaks. I did find a lot of debris which I had to clean up. I found a whole lot more that I have to clean up too. I also found another leak under the soft shower. Even with the little things that we have to fix we love our NT.