Florida recommendations for winter

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Eric and I would like to spend next winter (our winter, not northern winter) in Florida and are looking for recommendations. We're planning to stay in one spot January thru end of March.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MTPockets

FL has a lot. Depends on what you like. We really like Zephyrhills, FL. Quiet 33 miles East of Busch Gardens 75 miles West of Orlando. A wide choice of nice, reasonably priced Rv parks. Far enough away from traffic but reasonable distance to coast and sites.

aatauses

I agree with MTPockets--FL has a lot to offer. Since you have some time, consider contacting the state tour chamber and get a few brochures with maps and see what interest you have, kids/fishing/beaches/hiking/etc--then find an area that appeals to what you like. There are many, many parks in all areas so find something you like for recreation and then find a park.
You may also consider volunteering for a park or wildlife reserve---We volunteer for NP's and did the Everglades one winter--had a great time---you can search volunteer opportunities at www.volunteer.gov
al
currently in Kenai, AK

davebennington

I find that the mid to northern Florida can be chilly in the winter. We like the Punta Gorda area there are a few nice parks that are reasonable during the winter and it is warm.

dave

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Warm is good. I'd like to be able to jog all winter without my lungs freezing. :)

Eric is talking about being near the beach. We'll also be spending a week in Orlando with fam if everything goes as planned.

John T Bettencourt

My wife and I like Zephyrhills Fl as it is central located. It is only 5 to 8 degrees cooler than Ft. Myers. This past winter we average mid to high 70s all winter. I towed for the first 2yrs. then realized that buying a park model in a park is much cheaper in the long run. We have been going for the last 9 yrs. We are in a Care Free park called Rainbow Village it is located at 4150 Lane Road. The rent there is 2800.00 dollars and can stay up to 7 months. All the Care Free parks are very clean and safe. There is 168 RV parks Zephyrhills. We love it there.

Theresau

We found a great KOA not far from Disney World - Fort Summit KOA. Very large campground - sites in the back are typically used for longer term reservations.

We also like Ocala Sun - very nice and clean. Many long-term regulars. Has weekly activities.

We checked out other resorts and really liked Williston Crossing which is where the FL rally was held this year (coincidentally). Just a great place - has concrete pads and patios. It's about 20 miles from Gainesville and Ocala. Cedar Key is about 40 minutes away.

It is cooler near Ocala but I watched the temps when we were there and there wasn't that much difference - even the key area wasn't more than 6 degrees more (at least when we were there) for the most part.

Hope this helps.

Theresa

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
for two years I stayed at a KOA in the South East Orlando area. I loved the location and it was close to the east coast - so I could get over to watch the shuttle launches.

very clean park and great staff, I would have returned but I had to stop going south for the winter due to a Job Change.

https://plus.google.com/108603341648539855558/about?gl=us&hl=en

It is right on a lake - not too far from shopping and the highway.

Kevin

Westwind

Rv Parks near the Ocean can be expensive and tough to get into and crowded. Plus what I like you might dislike. We have stayed in a lot of RV Parks, Resorts, campgrounds over the last ten years and none were perfect, we could always find something we didn't like or like. My suggestion would be list your wants, pick the coast, then the area and start searching. Maybe list 3 and try them out with one month stays (Lowers the cost). My experience is 1 might be a winner but not all three. Check out Campground Reviews. We just returned from 3 1/2 months and love it, we stay in the Punta Gorda /Port Charlotte area but the resort is not near a beach which we do like but never were able to find one we could afford or like in Southern Gulf Coast. PS Good Luck

4ever

We really like Williston Crossings RV Resort, Williston, FL. It is Southwest of Gainesville and Northwest of Ocala. We have been going there for 4 years now. New owners took over last year and they are expanding the park. When completed they will have about 500 sites. Most all sites are good size averaging 40' x 80' with some even larger. All sites are paved with concrete pads and patios. Beutifull club house, activity center, pavillion and more. Check out the web site. The town is small however, has enough for your day to day needs. Two supermarkets, pharmacy, hardware store, banks couple of restaurants and golf course 7 miles away. For more activities or greater shopping Ocala and Gainesville are only about 15 to 18 miles away.

The Florida chapter of the Heartland owners club jus had there rally there last month and everyone liked the park.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
We've been very happy with New Smyrna Beach. Almost don't want to say anything, because its a real hidden treasure. Very old school Florida, before the tourists and has pretty much stayed that way. We prefer the New Smyrna Beach RV Park. Reasonably priced, close enough to Orlando, and a few blocks from the beach.

Theresau

We really like Williston Crossings RV Resort, Williston, FL. It is Southwest of Gainesville and Northwest of Ocala. We have been going there for 4 years now. New owners took over last year and they are expanding the park. When completed they will have about 500 sites. Most all sites are good size averaging 40' x 80' with some even larger. All sites are paved with concrete pads and patios. Beutifull club house, activity center, pavillion and more. Check out the web site. The town is small however, has enough for your day to day needs. Two supermarkets, pharmacy, hardware store, banks couple of restaurants and golf course 7 miles away. For more activities or greater shopping Ocala and Gainesville are only about 15 to 18 miles away.

The Florida chapter of the Heartland owners club jus had there rally there last month and everyone liked the park.

We'll be there next winter - site 151 starting 12/1 through 3/31/14.

Theresa

Birchwood

We like to be within 20 minutes to the beach,on a concrete pad,close to all amenities,on a golf course,luxurious club house and pool
,close to hospital(10 min) and near Orlando so our kids will visit.Just a few ideas for you as I have no idea of your interests.

Theresau

I suggest you also visit if possible before reserving. Everyone can have a different view of what a nice RV resort is. We spent a great deal of time while in FL checking out other resorts.

We started by reviewing on line.

Even some of the very high rated we didn't like.