Carryout Antenna/Dish network problem SOLVED!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I have a problem with my Carryout antenna not connecting with a satellite. I have a good view of the sky and can see the birds with the app on my I-Phone over the top of some trees at the Elkhart Campground. I have done everything I can think of, done numerous check-switch's on the receiver. I have moved the dish many times with no change. It just won't connect. Bob Sims suggested corrosion but everything is clean.

I called Dish network and went through all their tests and they suggested that it might be something loose at the antenna or in the trailer. I took the dome off the antenna and it points toward the satellites. I checked every connection from the antenna to the UDC. I took off the antenna connection to check the connection behind the wall and it was tight. I checked the wire from the wall to the receiver and it was tight. The TV gets a good signal from both cable and over the air antenna.

Winegard is closed today but I will call them tomorrow.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Re: Carryout Antenna/Dish network problem

Hi Jay... Does sound like a connection issue. I have had that happen on my dish receiver at home and it was cured by disconnecting the cable from the wall and reconnecting. It didn't appear to be loose, but it did fix the issue. Good Luck.
Bret

Two thoughts here, is this a new carryout or have you used it before? If this is the first try for it, the SW64 software has to be installed, if that has been done, my next thought, due to the same problem myself, was a broken coax cable, it was difficult to find. If you have another section of coax on hand, i would try it. Good luck.

Eddhuy

My initial problem was with the labeling on the prowler, the cable and and satellite labels were on the incorrect plugins. if you can, try going directly to the cable box from the carryout..

MTPockets

I've had some intermittent problems just like you described, been very annoying. I made sure connections were tight and got it to work, but then would not - again... Finally I bought a new cable and have had no problems since. I'm assuming the old cable had a kink or pinch somewhere breaking a connection.

i keep a dish by the trailer all the time in case someone wants to visit and stay in it and i just put the direct tv box in it last week and it wouldnt work changed the wire and bingo it works again the wires dont work for long for some reason when you connect and disconnect them you might try to disconnect it and roll it up and then roll it back out and reconnect it sometimes they get corrosion in them and by rerolling it it will break down .hope it works for you.
Joel

jayc

Thanks for all the replies. I have been using this carryout for about two years. It has worked perfectly until now. I will try connecting it directly in the morning and see what happens.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Last summer, when using the GM1518 antenna and DISH, if we were away from the trailer for an extended period and the system wasn't turned on, I had to call them to send a signal to "refresh" it. On the other hand, at home I occasionally have to disconnect the cable input to my modem and reconnect it. Looks like it gets just enough oxidation to mess it up. This last time, I put a dab of OX-1 Oxide Inhibitor on the male connection threads to see if that helps.

GOTTOYS

My initial problem was with the labeling on the prowler, the cable and and satellite labels were on the incorrect plugins. if you can, try going directly to the cable box from the carryout..
I had the same problem. When I wired my satellite direct to the receiver it worked. After checking all the cables I bought a small signal generator and found the wires were mislabeled. the wire from the roof was marked as the one going to the living room and the wire from the living room was marked as going to the roof on the schematic. Only cost me $60.00 and a lot of frustration..Thanks to some dumbass that installed the wires in reverse order...Don

szewczyk_john

I would hook up directly to the back of the TV and bypass all the connections first. THen you can start to narrow your search. Been there, done that very aggravating. Turned out to be a loose connection in the UDC. I also get interference if the signal booster for the roof antenna is left in the on position, not sure why it interferes, but trust me it does in my unit.

jayc

:eek:SOLVED!!

I replaced the cable between the antenna and the trailer and now have service! As Phil on Duck Dynasty says Happy Happy Happy!!!

olcoon

I was thinking that possibly it wasn't used to the cold weather, and was going to suggest heading South. Ever thought of becoming a Winter Texan & staying down there until the frigid North warms up? :cool: We pulled into Springfield, MO this afternoon, and it's in the 30's here. When we left the gate Thursday S. of Pleasanton, TX it was 78...WE ARE FREEZING!!! Glad you got it solved!

jayc

Thanks Roy, I had thought of the same thing. The poor antenna has to stay outside where it's usually warm but since we left Texas it has been snowed on and very cold. Sooo glad that it is fixed now and can now watch your show Duck Dynasty. You are on that show, aren't you?

jbeletti

:eek:SOLVED!!

I replaced the cable between the antenna and the trailer and now have service! As Phil on Duck Dynasty says Happy Happy Happy!!!

It was probably defective at one of the ends Jay. If you save it and want a spare, I can put new fittings on it in Elkhart next week.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

I have found sometimes you have to reset your receiver (box) to get it to work. Don't know why that happens. Cableing problems are a real issue in the cable/satellite TV industry. That is usually the first thing to check.

jayc

Thanks Jim, I'll save the old cable. I was going to throw it away but if it can be salvaged, I'll hold on to it.

And beside that, IT'S SNOWING in Elkhart this morning!

Jim G. I did the receiver reset, I did the check switch about a hundred times, I checked every fitting, and finally replaced the cable and fixed it!

Thanks everyone! I got to see NCIS last night and will get to see the season finale of Duck Dynasty tonight.

astairs

Hello everyone: I have a new 27PBHS that seems to have a wiring issue. I live some distance from the dealer, so I am trying to fix this myself instead of towing it there and back. Is there anywhere I can get a diagram showing where the satellite and cable wires run from the back of the trailer to the TV area? I have an enclosed underbelly, and was thinking about just running a new wire. How would I repair the material that covers the bottom of the trailer? Thanks for any help, unfortunately my dealer service group isn't that fantastic.

astairs

I should mention, I ran an external cable from the dish to the receiver, works perfect.

danemayer

Hello everyone: I have a new 27PBHS that seems to have a wiring issue. I live some distance from the dealer, so I am trying to fix this myself instead of towing it there and back. Is there anywhere I can get a diagram showing where the satellite and cable wires run from the back of the trailer to the TV area? I have an enclosed underbelly, and was thinking about just running a new wire. How would I repair the material that covers the bottom of the trailer? Thanks for any help, unfortunately my dealer service group isn't that fantastic.

Hi astairs,

First thing to do is make sure you've got the dish plugged into the satellite connection. Take a look at the satellite connectors on each end. If the crimp is loose or there are strands of the shield wire out of place, it would cause you a problem. Also, it's pretty easy to mislabel connectors, so try different combinations at each end.

I don't think I've seen diagrams for Prowlers, so no help there.

As for running a new wire, you might just take the shortest possible path from the TV area to a suitable outside connection.

In the short term, you might consider a flat cable that you run through a window.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

First off, are you sure you're connecting to the correct cable? I kinda ran into that with my rig with multiple connections in the UDC. You can try shorting one end of the line using a paper clip inserted into it and crimped onto the threads. Attach your TV cable to the indoor fitting and check for continuity on the end of the cable. If no joy there, check the attachment of the cables to the backsides of the wall fittings. They've been known to be loose and/or broken.