new warranty?

mariacyl

New Big Horn owners
We have had our new Big Horn 3055 RL since Sept. have taken it out twice and have been at the RV dealer twice, they are as bad as car dealers not very nice to work with. My husband asked why we couldnt close any of our kitchen cabinets after traveling once, and he says " oh well, things shift thats why you have 90 days to bring it back for any problems" 90 days! whats he talking about I thought we had 1 year???
Thanks, Maria

Pulltab

Maria, your dealer is full of it. You have a 1 year warranty on your coach.

Sometimes the catches on the doors are not very strong and you might want to replace them. We have replaced a couple but usually we use a large rubber band to hold the doors closed when they face each other. Just wrap it around both knobs.

mariacyl

New Big Horn owners
Thanks Pulltab, I thought it was 1 year, here in Michigan it is in storage for the next 5 months , 90 day warranty just wouldnt do it!!
Maria

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
It may be easier to adjust the cabinet catches yourself. If they are not lined up right they wont hold very well. We must be lucky, ours stay shut. Like Pulltab though we secure the cabinets on the back side of the sink with bungee balls.

jpmorgan37

mariacyl;

Look in your owners manual and you will find the warranty policy. Also, some of your appliances carry a two or three year warranty from the appliance manufacturer.

John

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
JP, we have a pile of registation cards and most of them do not say for what the appliance they are for or what other thing like water heater. They just give the name of what it is. Do cards need to be sent in for the warranty to be enforce? Bob :confused:

esellers

I understand your pain, we currently live in our Big horn 4 days a week until we retire and we had to take our new Bighorn in to a dealer Heartland recommended last week to get some things repaired (Frigerator stopped cooling & some other problems) and they kept it 3 days and said come pick it up..they couldn't keep it (we had to pay someone to take it and pick it up) and they ordered a new frig and some other items. We get it back and they caulked our kitchen with an awful brown caulk (we did not ask them to do this) and they put a new screen door on because the handle closer wouldn't stay on and now it's worse than it was before...also, we now have a crack on one of our slide outs that we did not have before...We are in worse shape than when we took it to them.

jpmorgan37

Bob;

Actually, I think that the purchase date will suffice but I still registered the warranty on all of my appliances. When I got my unit, I had a stack of warranty cards from Dometic that were very generic. I got the information off of each appliance-Refrig, A/C's, Convection oven, etc and than got on their website and registered each one of them. It worked out well as I had to have my convection oven replaced after my Heartland warranty expired. If you need more info, e-mail me.

John

Tom of Ypsi

Maria, If you bought your BH from that dealer in Michigan that has 6 dealerships in the state be prepared for almost anything. They are good at selling and that is it. Hope you have better luck than we ever had.

Bopper

Greetings:

Maria: It looks like you have a difficult dealer. There are usually two warranties on vehicles (both travel trailers and motor vehicles). The first, and by far the most important, is the full one year warranty on problems and defects. The second is usually not publicized as such, but it is a 90 day warranty on "fit and finish". It covers items that are not defective, but are adjustment items.

If you have a good dealer, they will usually extend the 90 day adjustment warranty as a service to their customers.

In addition, many of the components in the unit have a manufacturer's warranty that is independent of the overall unit warranty. As an observation, Heartland is the first trailer manufacturer to include a list of vendor items, the warranty details and contact numbers with their information package. Most times this information is not provided.

Hopefully, your dealer will prove to be one of the good ones.

Best regards,
Bopper

2 Adults and a very spoiled Cocker Spaniel
2006 Bighorn 3500RL

Taynton1

Two trips two service returns

I also have a new BC 3490 that has been camping twice and returned to the dealer for service twice. The first time it was in the shop for about 30 days, waiting on a hydraulic hose from Hearthland. Now it has to go back for the second trip including the second visit for a leaking shower. The dealer was asked to next day the parts for me from Heartland (lightswitch and two latches). They called back to let me know Heartlands next day shipping cost would be $50.00. I wish I would had known that at purchase my immiediate full cash payment would have cost them $1000.00.

Anyway I'm not pleased with the factory service, I love the unit, but I bought it to camp with not wait for service.

MT

donabel

The wonderful world of fine print

That reminds me of the day my optometrist told me that at a certain age we all start to need reading glasses.
There is something about fine print and earned maturity that just does not work well together.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Don Abel

extended warranty or additional years warranty

Everybody is talking about the 1 yr warranty. Our dealer mentioned to us about an extended warranty for additional years which we chose not to get until later on. When and if we do decide to get this, it will cost us another $1900 for two years per the dealer. They also said that we would have a phone# to call for any questions open 24/7 with this warranty. We're thinking of getting it but wondered if anybody had any other suggestions or comments if they had purchased this additional warranty.

jpmorgan37

Just for some additional information on the extended "warranty". It is not like the warranty you get from the manufacturer. What you are buying is really an insurance policy. There are many companies that offer these policies and some are excellent. Notice, I said some. When you are considering one of these, talk to several dealer service managers and see if they are willing to perform service and collect from the extended contract company. Some will require that you pay for the service provided and then collect from your policy provider. Most will charge a deductible. Find out what the deductible is and also exactly what is covered. Not everything is.

I dealt with many different companies (automobile industry) and some were good, some were not and many went out of business and left the policy holders with nothing.

John

jimtoo

jpmorgan37 said:
Just for some additional information on the extended "warranty". It is not like the warranty you get from the manufacturer. What you are buying is really an insurance policy. There are many companies that offer these policies and some are excellent. Notice, I said some. When you are considering one of these, talk to several dealer service managers and see if they are willing to perform service and collect from the extended contract company. Some will require that you pay for the service provided and then collect from your policy provider. Most will charge a deductible. Find out what the deductible is and also exactly what is covered. Not everything is.

I dealt with many different companies (automobile industry) and some were good, some were not and many went out of business and left the policy holders with nothing.

John

And I completely agree with John. I spent 34 years in the auto and truck service and parts. A lot (most) of the after market warranty companies will do every thing they can to not pay for a repair.

My 2 cents worth.

Jim,, (the other Jim)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
warranty

I have to agree with JIMTOO. I have Jim beat with time in the auto industry, 43 years. Never the less read them very carefully and check with other people about how they pay or even if they do pay. Western National, Western General, and GMPP if you have a GM vehicle. And by the way we found that GMAC car insurance is the cheapest for RV's, our home, and cars. If you crash a new car or truck in the 1st 18 months they will just replace with a new one.:) Bob :D :D

pslincs

Wow, you guys have dealers that honor the Heartland Warranty?? You are very lucky!! We live in LA and the dealers here will not work on new Heartlands. We bought a new Cyclone 3950 last month from an authorized dealer, Executive RV in Victorville, we were told no prob we handle all warranty issues at our dealer. Well the day after P-U, a blown tire, electric awning, fans not working, door handles falling off when you touch them, fuses blowing all the time, landing gear ect. And propane leaks! WOW what a trailer. Anyways, we were to bring the trailer back to the dealer for repairs, and well turns out the dealer just had big lies, they don't have a service center at all! We went to the next closest dealer, Acton, CA. Well they wont work on the trailer unless you bought it there, the next dealer in Bakersfield, CA, same comments, what is up with Heartland, call you get are voice mails when you call. Heartland step up to the plate, back you product. We had an Alpenlite before, and incredible service. Your company will not last with customer service like this, repeat customers will not repeat and word of mouth will shut you down. Please fix our trailer, tell your dealers to wake up of take their franchise away>>>>>
Helpless in LA>>>>

StevieWonder

Must be a California thing ... I've had great support from two different dealers here in the Houston area. Have you tried to deal directly with Heartland? I wouldn't blame Heartland for non-responsive dealers until you talk to Heartland. I'm sure they would be VERY interested in dealers that refuse to service their products.

boatdoc

Helpless in LA, Are you sure you have a Heartland product???? This doesn't sound like something they would put out!! Sorry to hear about all these problems on your rig.

geeksrus

Bob;

as I had to have my convection oven replaced after my Heartland warranty expired. If you need more info, e-mail me.

John

Tell me more about getting the oven replaced after the Heartland warranty expired... our Apollo 1/2 Oven went BAD on us 18 days after the coach's expiry & both Apollo & Heartland told us that we were out of warranty so we were on our own!

EH!